LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 27, 2011, 5:15 pm 

Me and a few friends of mine decided to build our own SCCA A mod car.
We have deiced to go with mid mounted Bike motor for power plant.

Can someone please clarify my option for putting the power down to the ground. I saw the Chain diffs that some people manufactured form modified Miata or Honda LSd.
That seems like a little too much for our first stage build

I was planning to start the rear build with full miata rear end and go from there.

What is the best way to connect a chain driven Bike motor and transmission to a miata rear end?
As I am not sure there will be enough room to run an actual drive shaft since the motor will be mounted at the back close to the rear end.

PostPosted: June 27, 2011, 5:30 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome! You can get plenty of help here. You need to do some home work though. There is a lot of material here and also a search function. This is a big project your undertaking, so your questions need to reflect your willingness to do a lot of work, starting with reading here for a few days.

A mod is the top dog autocross car ( at least from what little I know of autocrossing ), so you may need to have more then minimal fabricating skills under your belt.

Good luck and have fun....

PostPosted: June 27, 2011, 5:40 pm 

Thanks.
I have been reading multiples people build threads for last few days and lurking around the forum.
Lol for some reason when it comes to connecting transmission to the rear end it seems like magic in the build logs with not much info.
I was hoping someone could just list the multiple ways of doing it so i could search for it.
As far as raw fabricating skills I really hope we have that covered. We have 2 certified welders and a diesel mechanic.

We are not planning to be support competitive with the first revision of the build we just decided it would be a fun and rewarding project to do. And I think it will teach us all a lot. :P

PostPosted: June 27, 2011, 7:32 pm 

You could use the engine longitudinally like a dwarf/legends car, but in the middle. Check out the ads on www.dwarfcarracing.com for driveshaft adapters.
Obviously, this would be kind of long, but if the drivers feet were in front of the front axle, rather than behind, it might work in a relatively short WB. It would also avoid having the header right behind your seat

I am unaware of any right angle adapter to use your engine transversely with a connection to the yoke on the rear end

A V4 engine might be shorter and better suited to a longitudinal set up than an inline. V Max's appear both powerful and torquey which would be good for autocross.

I am also building an A Mod I am using a GM carrier with chain drive and VW fox axles. It was a LOT of work to build it with the custom output shafts, carriers and bearings. Lots of machining, however, it didnt cost too much, maybe $300-400 in parts, inc the diff which i got on ebay (a 2000 torsen from a camaro).