LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 18, 2024, 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Build
PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 11:25 am 

I suggest you add a nice grade 8 flatwasher under the nut to spread the load into the Auminum. Also use deformed style captive nut, not a Nylock. . Have you checked to see that you can fit an open-ended wrench thru that recess?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 11:32 am 
Always Moore!

Chucks right. A nut on bare aluminum would be bad.

You could also use a Nordlock washer (McMaster sells them). At least according to their marketing propaganda and the real life presentations I've seen, they're more resistant to loosening from vibration than any locknut.

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 12:42 pm 

a.moore wrote:
Chucks right. A nut on bare aluminum would be bad.

You could also use a Nordlock washer (McMaster sells them). At least according to their marketing propaganda and the real life presentations I've seen, they're more resistant to loosening from vibration than any locknut.

Yeah i didn't update any pics late last night. I have a flat washer in there and there is room for a wrench but the back of the nut sits against the inside wall so that a wrench doesn't need to be used however, I will need to change that if i go with a bigger washer.

I will look at a different nut option since that one is a nylock. Like one of these??

Attachment:
94820A249L.GIF

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: February 14, 2012, 1:11 pm 

I'll second the suggestion for Nordlock washers. I use them on headers and they stay put. We use them at work to hold on in a high torque application and they work very well.

PostPosted: February 15, 2012, 11:38 am 

Picked up a set of 5" Koni 30 series for $120 total for 2 new shocks. Now i will need to paint them black :D and get two more.

I am trying to find a steering rack that is nice and cheep. Any suggestions?

Those Nordlock washers are pretty cool. I added them in. The next length down on the bolt didn't have enough height to full engage the nut so i went a bit bigger and figured i could trim it down.

Attachment:
Nordlock Washer.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: February 17, 2012, 2:39 pm 

I found this really nice PDF from Woodward that goves over EVERYTHING when choosing a steering rack. (ackermann, lenght, etc)

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/images/ ... 064-79.pdf

PostPosted: February 24, 2012, 10:24 am 

New double radii tubes showed up last week

PostPosted: March 26, 2012, 9:20 am 

Car is going slowly with fam work and all but still progressing. All of the adjustable coilovers and shocks are in but i am still waiting for tubing for the chassis and control arms.

Finally there was a chance to get the machine parts started after fighting the CNC program for a while.
1st to pics are the setup piece and the second is one to be machined (finished).

Attachment:
IMAG0496.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0495.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0497.jpg

Hopefully the parts can be wrapped up soon and i can move on to other aspects

PostPosted: March 26, 2012, 9:57 am 

I did more work trying to finalize the model. I wanted to simplify the forn end for now so that i could make is easier in the garage. Any suggestions here?

PostPosted: April 9, 2012, 11:32 pm 

the 2" tubing came in so i can start chopping a chassis together. The tubing for the arms and triangulation are being shipped now. As for another topic though....

Looking at the pic below, is there a good suggestion on how to attach the rear toe link using the existing steer arm in the rear? think that making a toe arm that connects to the underside of the steer arm and the directly to the control arm would be best but that is a large drop. I could make a new steer arm link too but that is just more time and stuff (money). Any suggestions?

Attachment:
Rear Toe Link.JPG

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 3:40 am 

Seems simple to me, you have a caliper bracket bolted to one side of the upright and to the other side you have a bracket that drops down low enough to mount a spherical joint at the same height as the main lower spherical joint.

Me, I'd rather a toe link to adjust toe and dynamic toe change.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 7:21 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The lca bolt shank should extend as far as practical without the nut bottoming out.

The bolt should be fine thread.

If a nord lock had an od that was the same or less than the nut (which I doubt), and the nut flat was held by the wall of the spindle, the nord lock would serve no purpose because the nut cannot rotate anyway. The nord lock would need to be on the rotating/bolt side, against the head. There is no relative motion on top to work the nord lock.

Nord locks do work well. I've seen them used on many light sport aircraft to hold props on without safety wire.

If you decide to use some other method to lock the bottom bolt, it will still need a load psreading washer under the head so more of the torque distribution goes into the thread stretch.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 9:26 am 

cheapracer wrote:
Seems simple to me, you have a caliper bracket bolted to one side of the upright and to the other side you have a bracket that drops down low enough to mount a spherical joint at the same height as the main lower spherical joint.

Me, I'd rather a toe link to adjust toe and dynamic toe change.

I think we are on the same page but correct me if you had something else in mind. I was thinking of do the following... weld one end of the below rod to the arm, have a middle adjustment (like in the pic), and attach the a rod end to the other side like in the last pic.

I cant seem to find the tapered stud though or a CAD model which would help for planning.

Attachment:
rear-toe-links-prod.jpg

Attachment:
Rod_Ends_MD-31.jpg

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 9:35 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
The lca bolt shank should extend as far as practical without the nut bottoming out.

The bolt should be fine thread.

If a nord lock had an od that was the same or less than the nut (which I doubt), and the nut flat was held by the wall of the spindle, the nord lock would serve no purpose because the nut cannot rotate anyway. The nord lock would need to be on the rotating/bolt side, against the head. There is no relative motion on top to work the nord lock.

Nord locks do work well. I've seen them used on many light sport aircraft to hold props on without safety wire.

If you decide to use some other method to lock the bottom bolt, it will still need a load psreading washer under the head so more of the torque distribution goes into the thread stretch.

Ok, that makes sense but either way you suggest adding a washer under the head of the bolt? Doesn't the safety washer cover that? Or just leave it as is and eliminate the Nord lock all together since it is over kill? I agree with Chuck that there needs to be a washer under the nut regardless since it would be sitting against the bare aluminum other wise.

PostPosted: April 10, 2012, 11:25 am 

Like I wrote.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 80  Next