LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 9:21 am 

When people talk about sportscars, they think of the FR layout. But Mid-engine has proven to be effective too, if you look at Porshce boxsters and caymans. (the 911 is technically rear engine ,rather than mid-engine)
So which one is more suitable for a sportscar??

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 9:59 am 

car design is all about compromise, but if all out performance is the goal, just look at the fastest racing car designs. Most if not all are mid engine. Even the corvette went mid engine because they felt they maximized the potential of the FR layout.

we need more input as to what goals you are trying to achieve to help you decide if FR or MR is a better configuration. MR has some benefits of weight transfer and balance, but a poorly designed MR will lose to a better designed FR layout. MR has risk of the front getting light and losing front grip as well as snap oversteer.

MR has difficulties, not that they cant be overcome, that FR don't have. For example, cooling, transmission shift cables, and transmission choices. When you talk MR are you talking longitudinal engine or transverse? Longitudinal transmission choices are limited and more expensive. They also can make the car longer. Transverse transmissions tend to not be as strong if big power is a concern. Again, this can be overcome.

Again its all about compromises. What are the goals. Both can be made to handle very well or very poorly if not designed well.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 12:23 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

"Suitable" is determined by the person using the term. If all you have are FWD drivetrains, mid-engine is more "suitable", but if you have a bunch of Miata parts, front engine is more "suitable." Never mind the slippery slope of defining what a sports car is in the first place...

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 2:10 pm 

1) Average drivers will find FR easier to drive near/at/over the limit than MR.

2) Above average drivers will find MR faster around a track than FR.

3) MR has better global availability of affordable drivetrains than FR.

4) FR has better availability of affordably handling big power than MR.

In my opinion: Building a sports car is a debate between 1 and 3, while building a race car is a debate between 2 and 4.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 30, 2022, 7:04 pm 

Driven5 is pretty well on the money. In general front-engined cars are going to be more forgiving at the limit. I called my locost "heromaker" because it allowed me to push it so hard without slapping me for my mistakes. The main time where I would have wanted a mid-engined car was at the track when more weight in back would have allowed me to get on the gas earlier coming out of corners, and also a bit harder braking going into them. Otherwise I was very happy to be front-engined.

Along similar lines, I've noticed that some drivers of rear and mid-engined cars are a bit afraid of them because they'll spin easier. Was at a Lotus club track day at Laguna Seca and the Elises for the most part just weren't hitting the lap times that I expected of them. Then I realized that most of the drivers just weren't willing to push it that hard.

PostPosted: March 31, 2022, 10:55 am 

^ Good points.
Even more so with a RR layout, even more tendency for snap oversteer.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=20899