LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 18, 2012, 11:49 am 

horizenjob wrote:
I think the traditional Spitfire uprights are a good choice for you. They are several pounds lighter then other stock type units. They are very common on older formula cars so I think many designers went down this road. The kingpin upright you gave a picture of makes me wish us homebuilders and road racers could generate enough market for our own parts. It's only something like half the height of a Spitfire or normal modern front upright. When you add the parts to adapt it you will lose any advantage and it will weigh what other units would.

I couldn't find the other part you pictured, what is that for? Does it adapt that upright you pictured?

The upright you pictured is used on dirt track oval cars, I'm not sure it's used on pavement cars? So that snout is used on "Wide 5" hubs which I think are also only used in dirt cars. I've been meaning to talk to people that know about oval track cars to confirm this. Does anyone know? There are many fabricated uprights to mount this stuff - although many of these are different heights on the left and right side. You can buy little steel inserts for the ball joint and snout mount to weld up your own.

that upright is used on pretty much any midget/sprint car (there are two sizes) regardless of dirt or pavement. there are two different hub setups and a couple different brake mounts.

there is a "new" style hub that uses the wide five type pattern. again this is dirt or pavement.
the standard hub is a 6 lug pattern of unknown bolt circle.
the brakes come in two flavors. one is a lightweight rotor that mounts using 3 of 6 the hub bolts (generally only 3 are used to hold the wheel on)
the other is a typical brake "hat"

basically all oval track parts evolved from 1930's ford units. Wide 5 pattern as used in modifieds, sprints, champ cars etc. is much larger than the vw units. also, all quickchange differentials are based on some form of early ford rear axle. midget quick change units were based on 1928-1931 ford parts and the "v8" size differentials are based on a 1935-48 ford passenger car parts and the "champ" size differential used the same year 3/4 ton truck dif and axles (took two axles to make one set as they only used the short axle in the quick change) all this has changed and the ford parts are replaced with custom race parts now, but in many cases the original ford parts bolt right in.