LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 11:56 am 

Posting here to bump this to the top and hopefully get some discussion going...

I like where the frame is headed. I'm in the process of designing a middy as well and have been struggling a bit over the engine box design but I see that you've done something that I've been questioning.

What I'm seeing is that you're dead heading the upper engine box tubes into a lateral brace directly behind the seats. From what I've read here (can't remember exactly where) that's a no-no, but no one has called it yet. I was looking to do something similar and I guess I would like any clarification there. Would it not be better to work those tubes so that they brace against the upper rails in the main chassis? Or at least to add a brace there to spread the load in the case of an impact?

I'm guessing there are plans to add more triangulation in the frame as a whole (from the last sketch posted) for rigidity. Any updates to the frame? I'd be very interested to see

PostPosted: May 21, 2014, 1:14 pm 

Progress has largely halted :oops:

life sorta came at me fast here its been broken / dieing cars keeping up with the wife(school & work), kids, house and of course the wife wanted chickens this year. so i spent a fair amount of time building a coop from scrap pallets and random bits of wood i could find.

Ive barely even looked at my designs let alone even trying to sell off any of my odds and ends from the donor.

the frame was designed in 3 separate sections to account for my lack of actual numbers from the front end components and from the engine mounts. yes most of the triangulation is removed in those pics. i did that to convey the shape more than anything.

there are other tube that will terminate in the same area to provide better load transfer. most of the passenger compartment numbers are derived from the "book" frame though i moved things around to provide more safety, ease of building, and some to fit general mounting point areas that i know of such as roughly where the susp mounts are and where the rear shock towers will end up likely being.

thank you for having a look i will try and provide a better set of screen shots that show a bit more of my intention.

Build log :D http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15177

PostPosted: May 23, 2014, 8:45 am 

:(

Well.... i went looking for my frame design file. apparently some time ago it was corrupted :shock: and it is no more.... i do have one of the previous versions. but i drew all those so long ago i don't remember what i changed between them.

Oh well ill come back to it eventually. as of now i need to finish my cnc router. then from there its gonna be time to build a printing head for the machine so i can either add or remove material. that project has gone on far too long and needs to be wrapped up. hopefully once it is wrapped up i can start making trinkets and toys and engraving things like valve covers and such and start saving money for the car :D. I Have A Plan... though it has been a long and slow one.

Build log :D http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15177

PostPosted: May 23, 2014, 1:42 pm 

Sorry to hear about the files. If you want another model made up and don't have the time it's looking like I will have lots of time very soon to do some modeling, shoot me a PM with any details about the chassis and I'll see what I can come up with.