LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 17, 2019, 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 6:46 pm 

every block is 3 inches

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 7:32 pm 

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 9:00 pm 

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 10:47 pm 

What are we looking at here? Just bird's eye profile? Frame rails?

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 11:56 pm 

What about doing a delta wing design that thing is revolutionary in its design but when you look under the hood its like a lotus 7 with skinny front wheels. Build that type of chassis and add a Hyabusa engine or similar.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: December 3, 2013, 12:47 am 

I'm still on the fence about all that narrow front Nissan is doing. It seems to work for them but I don't think it's something I could pull off. And it's just an outline of what I'm doing I'm on the 11th drawing and it's still changing, after I get a shape I'll figure out how to build it. But for now I'm just doing the basics, it's about 10 feet long not including the wings, it's about 3 inches wider than a 370z and 2 foot shorter wheelbase although I might and an extra 6 inches somewhere up front for higher speed stability. I just wanted some comments from the veterans

PostPosted: December 3, 2013, 4:58 pm 

I too have thought about doing a subi based AWD non-traditional locost build, but decided to keep it simple and do a subi based middy instead.

If I were to proceed doing an AWD locost with the engine hanging off the front--I would try and steal the AYC out of an EVO X. It can push the back around at the same rate as the front plows through understeer. Sort of like when pushing around a full shopping cart into some drifts :-)

The prodrive P2 uses a similar approach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVZ8QFTnb4

Also, if say you even achieved a 70:30 weight distribution front to rear that doesn't necessarily mean that it will understeer or feel more front heavy than the origional subi as most likely you will still have somewhat less mass hanging out front. With this and with what I would assume would be better suspension would most likely have superior turn in compared to the origional.

I have purely heuristic evidence of that, as I have owned a couple of AWD cars (A subi 2.5RS, and an EVO X) of which were stripped at one time and they both still turned significantly better stripped. If you think about it all of the mass of the car has to eventually be turned after turn-in so the less, still the better.

PostPosted: May 8, 2014, 8:44 am 

I'm still thinking a Subaru AWD would be a clean, simple, and practical build.

Yank the Subaru driveline and transplant it into a Bookish style chassis, just like it was in the original Subaru body. Trim the nose cone to clear the engine and let the cylinders fly out in the wind like the "cycle cars" of the 1920s and 1930s.

In exchange for the exposed engine, you get four wheel drive, a huge amount of useful storage space under the bonnet, and the spine only has to be wide enough to pass the driveshaft, meaning more interior room and no transmission intrusion into your foot space.

You'd need a remote shifter linkage, which is common enough on 7s, and you'd need to put the radiator somewhere behind the engine; over the transaxle or off to the side in the original engine bay.

I've actually considered such a build, except old Subarus in my price range don't seem to exist in my area, though I could have my choice of late model WRXs and SUVs...

PostPosted: May 8, 2014, 10:13 am 
Toyotaphobe

There's only one problem with that, the engine'd be way out in front of the front wheels.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 24, 2014, 8:37 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
There's only one problem with that, the engine'd be way out in front of the front wheels.

My pie-in-the-sky idea is to mount the subaru transaxle behind the driver, use the 'front' output for the rear wheels, and fab a transfer box on the rear output, and send a shaft to the front.

No idea how feasible the machining would be. But it seems the easiest way for an Mid AWD locost to me. Especially since you could center the output shaft, and get the front differential in a more aesthetic(centered) place.

PostPosted: September 26, 2014, 2:40 pm 

TRX wrote:

Yank the Subaru driveline and transplant it into a Bookish style chassis, just like it was in the original Subaru body. Trim the nose cone to clear the engine and let the cylinders fly out in the wind like the "cycle cars" of the 1920s and 1930s.

In exchange for the exposed engine, you get four wheel drive, a huge amount of useful storage space under the bonnet, and the spine only has to be wide enough to pass the driveshaft, meaning more interior room and no transmission intrusion into your foot space.

You'd need a remote shifter linkage, which is common enough on 7s, and you'd need to put the radiator somewhere behind the engine; over the transaxle or off to the side in the original engine bay.

I've actually considered such a build, except old Subarus in my price range don't seem to exist in my area, though I could have my choice of late model WRXs and SUVs...

Your concept is a model I had messed with a bit in Sketchup but, didn't go very far with it... I took a screen shot but, I can make this model available if someone wants to play with it more.

Attachments:
AWD locost.JPG
AWD locost.JPG [ 70.93 KiB | Viewed 2978 times ]

TRX wrote:

Your concept is a model I had messed with a bit in Sketchup but, didn't go very far with it... I took a screen shot but, I can make this model available if someone wants to play with it more.

TRX wrote:

Attachments:
AWD locost.JPG
AWD locost.JPG [ 70.93 KiB | Viewed 2978 times ]