LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 31, 2014, 11:23 pm 

Hi All,
Do you know what type of bearings are used on bike rear axles? I'm assuming since on a bike there is really no thrust load, a standard bike set up will not do for a reverse trike. Is that an accurate statement?

PostPosted: June 1, 2014, 7:05 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

It isn't good practice but so many folks have done it without problems that it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Single row ball, deep groove is most common on bikes and can handle some thrust loading. Bearings that can handle more thrust have a race more outboard and inboard of the wheel in the direction of the load. Since there are two bearings, each one handles the thrust load on one direction.

Because trikes are light and are limited in the amount of thrust load they can generate before tipping, it shouldn't be an issue. If you find bearing life is considerably reduced, replace the bearings with those designed for thrust loading. All the info you should need is on the side of the bearing to cross reference.

If fitting your own custom axle with a monster car tire as some have, it would be a good time to use tapered roller types on a tube with a flange to accept a sprocket and brake rotor, a front bearing hub for a rwd vehicle if the trike is to be fwd, or a fwd hub, brake, and outer cv cup with an adapter flange welded to the cv cup to accept a sprocket.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 1, 2014, 11:41 am 

I'm a little torn on which way to go. I'm worried the car wheel setup will have much higher rotating moment and will take some of the rev happy bike drivetrain feel away. On the other hand, there's more traction.

Thanks for the answer.

PostPosted: June 1, 2014, 12:25 pm 

The guys across the pond seem to be making the Moto guzzi shaft drive wheel assembly work. I've been researching it and haven't found any reports of failure.

PostPosted: June 3, 2014, 7:46 am 

I'm using a Suzuki VS1400 rear end on mine. I sort of expect bearing life to be shortened somewhat, but I have no real idea how much. just going to take it as it goes, and see what happens. I do beat it up now and again and it seems none the worse for wear, but I've only driven it about 1800 miles since its completion in january. I have no idea how many miles were on the bearings when I got the wheel.

I've got a tire change coming up pretty soon, I'll check the bearings then adn report if you like.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: June 3, 2014, 7:58 am 

robbovius wrote:
I'm using a Suzuki VS1400 rear end on mine. I sort of expect bearing life to be shortened somewhat, but I have no real idea how much. just going to take it as it goes, and see what happens. I do beat it up now and again and it seems none the worse for wear, but I've only driven it about 1800 miles since its completion in january. I have no idea how many miles were on the bearings when I got the wheel.

I've got a tire change coming up pretty soon, I'll check the bearings then adn report if you like.

Thanks. I'm going with an R1 swing axle setup - at least I have one coming.