LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 5, 2014, 1:01 pm 

A 3 seat layout has some wonderful advantages that tie in to rear engine design. The center seat is ideal and takes advantage of the lack of center tunnel and allows the footwell to be placed forward without interference from wheel wells and suspension points.
McLaren was ingenious in the F1 design, it allowed them basically build a center, single car with it's advantages but with "passenger room".
The F1 wasn't intended to be a family car and/or appeal those that don't like bold, original ideas. It was a way to build a center seat car for the street, not a way to carry passengers.

Making 3 seats work in an open exo car is trickier. If it has atum-like high sides, you would have to step into the cavernous floor and take your seat, is that better or worse than wiggling in from an open door? It would be a design feat to make it work in daily use and be aesthetically pleasing without the impression of a vast cockpit. I'd love to see it!

PostPosted: July 5, 2014, 1:29 pm 

anavrinIV wrote:

I've faced the same struggle over the past months as I've worked to complete some kind of usable design that doesn't just look like a knockoff of the atomic antenna. Search here for pook's mako,

I agree, Pook is a great designer. To make a longitudinal mid engine car look good is very difficult but he did it nicely. The proportions are just right and it looks original.

PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 9:36 am 

Zac88GT wrote:
Constant radius tubes definitely makes things easier. I managed to keep my tubes a constant radius, although the top and bottom tubes are different radii.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12106

Zac88GT, Recognize the seat and those guys in my model? Your models were a HUGE help, and I respect the work you did on it in CAD a lot, and appreciate you sharing. I really think there should be a github/wiki or something full of CAD, but I don't want to come in as a new guy and push for change in the way things are done... but thanks, it is very helpful.

Did you need custom half shafts to use those miata spindles? I'm glad to see you back at the build.

carguy123 wrote:
Having actually ridden in a 3 seater I've got to say it's not really like being in the back seat. Now if the wheelbase was lengthened to put you totally behind the driver then it'd feel like the back seat.

They way he's drawn it will feel more like being in the front seat.

You guys have me flip flopping back and forth a lot. I do like the idea of going 4 seat with a small bench seat in the back, I just worry it will be useless once the kiddos hit 5+ ft tall, and then I'll have a bunch of space and weight just wasted.

One thing I do like about the 3 seater is that you can really do 2 person a weekend's worth of cargo in the extra seat. (backpacks, etc). I was planning a rack over the motor, but I may not need to with the 3rd seat. (Also probably a fire hazard).

I think my next step is to find some actual 15" wheels that suit my budget (the 15x9" ones are miata and don't have many street tire options). Then I can start on suspension and bulkhead design. I found some 15x7's I may go with. I need to sell the 18's off my donor.

I'm hopefully getting somewhat close to starting the part out of the car. Work is getting done to free up the garage space so I can go ahead and take my "final drive" in the donor to say goodbye with a few burnouts. With no A/C and 95+F days, I'm not that motivated :P

Once the Engine is out and the chassis is out of the way, I'll be 3D scanning the "too complex to model" parts like the engine, trans, spindles, etc, and modeling up the rest.

PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 10:04 am 

Tired2 wrote:
Did you need custom half shafts to use those miata spindles? I'm glad to see you back at the build.

The prelude axles were of sufficient diameter that I could have the outboard ends re-splined to fit the outer Miata CV joint.

PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 11:39 am 
Toyotaphobe

Tired2 wrote:
You guys have me flip flopping back and forth a lot. I do like the idea of going 4 seat with a small bench seat in the back, I just worry it will be useless once the kiddos hit 5+ ft tall, and then I'll have a bunch of space and weight just wasted.

One thing I do like about the 3 seater is that you can really do 2 person a weekend's worth of cargo in the extra seat. (backpacks, etc). I was planning a rack over the motor, but I may not need to with the 3rd seat. (Also probably a fire hazard).

I've looked and can't find pics of the one I built. It's been too long ago and too many moves since then. My car was crude, but functional.

I'd forgotten about the added benefit of storage. We used to go buy groceries in it. We never trusted it enough to make a trip in it and with no windshield it would have just beaten you to death on a long trip.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 7, 2014, 12:08 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I'd forgotten about the added benefit of storage. We used to go buy groceries in it. We never trusted it enough to make a trip in it and with no windshield it would have just beaten you to death on a long trip.

My goal is to cross country it, and make various locost and Megasquirt meets, power tours, etc. A helmet might happen though for highway use... maybe a windshield.