LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 1:36 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
RichardSIA wrote:
I actually have the original molds and rights to Chucks "Crusader" kit street car project from the 70's.

What does the street version look like?

Kind of a flying wedge.
Unless the builder trims the front fenders to something similar to the 7 clamshells profile, deletes them, or runs cycle fenders.
But the basic body would still be a wedge.
Only a couple were built.
Thread here, viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15677

PostPosted: November 13, 2014, 11:12 pm 

Well, its been awhile since I've posted anything. I've had 2 recent heart attacks. The last one I almost didn't survive as I had a 100% blockage of a main artery. I had stents inserted as an emergency procedure but am facing heart surgery soon. I am under orders from my wife and my Doc to not do any lifting or work in my shop alone until I have the surgery and am recovered. What a pain.

I am constantly searching the web for old fiberglass car bodies and recently came across a complete set of molds for one of my favorite looking cars of all time. I couldn't pass them up and I purchased them. They are on their way to me as I speak. I'm optimistic about the future and I hope that I get to get back into the shop this winter.

The body is for a 1966 Abarath SP1000. Here are a few pics.

Anybody want to buy a Cobra replica with a dedicated frame, LS6 Corvette engine, Tremec 6speed, and C5 Corvette suspension? I'm going to be putting up for sale.

ImageImage

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 1:25 am 

Dont really want a Cobra, but one of those Abarths sure would be cool! Those things look like a great starting point for a small displacement mid engined build (Geo Metro, Kei car etc).

Rod

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 8:44 am 

Yup, I'm right behind Rob on one of those Abarths :cheers: The wind shield looks to be plastic? Is there a OEM windshield that fits or can be cut down? Dave W

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 8:49 am 

Sorry to hear of your health troubles. Hope you're better soon.
Like Rod said, that would be a great small engine build, like a R1 BEC. Are you planning to make fibreglass bodies for sale? I could get excited about that.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 10:01 am 

Thanks for the reply's. Since I have the molds I will sell bodies if any one wants one. I think the car is stunning. It reminds me of a Ferrari P4.

Here are some dimensions. Wheelbase is 86.7 inches, width 65 inches, height 36 inches. (if my memory is correct)

There were versions of the car raced with a lower wrap around windscreen. That will be fairly easy to do. For a DOT legal glass windshield I think the Porsche 550/356 glass would fit. Earlier in the thread I have one shown on a body that is on my Miata space frame and old fiberglass body. That glass is readily available and is available in 3 heights. I probably would make fiberglass flange that would fit to the original Abarath body and conform to the Porsche glass.

I would have the bodies made for me by a fiberglass production company. I'm not to keen about dealing with resins anymore.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 5:11 pm 

Holy Smokes those are pretty lines.

I think I'd be in line for one of those Abarth bodies as well.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 5:53 pm 

I've been doing some soul searching today and talking to a friend of mine that does fiberglass bodies full time. And, another friend that owns a race car chassis shop. I'm going to offer the bodies for $4990. We will be able to start producing them in Jan. I am meeting with my chassis builder friend this Thursday. We will be building a space frame for the body to fit to. Still deciding on suspension and power train options.

In the Abarath the engine is mounted longitudinally. I think that I want to go with a bike engine (Hyabusa) connected to a mini diff from Transworks. The mini diff is 1:1 and has a built in reverse. This eliminates chain drive as the out put sprocket is replaced by very short dampened drive shaft. I think that a finished car will be 1000lbs.

Of course there are other drivetrain option. A FWD small car drivetrain could be mounted mid engine, a Passat/Audi engine/transaxle could be used, An Ecotec engine can be used with the Passat transaxle, or a built VW bus transaxle, or a Mendola transaxle. Even VW mounted mid engine could be used. But, somehow the idea of a high revving, sequential shifted, glorious sounding bike engine sounds best to me.

I will sell the bodies separately, or combined with the frame. I think the frame would be available in the spring.

I love the looks of the Abarath!

Shot of the mini diff. http://www.transworks.bizImageImage

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 6:29 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

You definitely want something other than a 1:1 final drive; think of the sprocket tooth ratio on the bike.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 6:57 pm 

Thanks. Of course you are right. The stock ratio for the mini diff is 5.55:1 (if my memory is correct) with other options available.

I don't have any experience with Bike powered cars so I'll need to do some research on them.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 10:40 pm 

jmc14 wrote:
I love the looks of the Abarath!
Same here! That car is FB!

Is the extra "a" (Abarath) to distinguish it from an original/authentic SP1000? Is this the MrGlass mold set? And where are you located? Also, is the body in your pics a body from your molds, or is it an actual Abarth SP1000? It's gorgeous, no matter what it is.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 11:07 pm 

Well I'm an idiot and I've been misspelling the name. It is of course Abarth.

The symbol for the Abarth is the Scorpion. I think I'll just call my car the "Stinger" At least I should be able to spell that correctly. :)

I did purchase the Mrglass molds.

I'm looking for pictures or blueprints of the original frame. If any one finds any I'ld appreciate it if you let me know.

The finished cars in the pictures, as far as I know, are original cars and are not from my molds. I am told that my molds were pulled from an original car. I do have molds for all of the parts, dash, interior tub ect.

I live near Lake Placid, NY.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 11:27 pm 

Here is a picture of some of the molds.

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 10:16 am 

Do you have any shots of the engine bay area?
Thanx Dave

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 11:34 am 

There you go!ImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next