LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 18, 2019, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 11:07 am 

good afternoon,
my name is john, live in Mallorca (Spain).
take time seriously thinking about making a replica as accurate as possible of lotus type 27.
The mechanical components are not difficult to locate today.
I have compiled several photographs, and more or less I know how it looks
  the basic measures of the car, more or less I know. and I have machinery, site and (I think) ability to carry it out.
my biggest problem is the design,
I have already built a replica of another formula (artes guepardo) .. but my building system,, "on the fly", I think this time it will not work. This time, I think I'll have to make some drawings,

my question is, if anyone has a similar project, or detailed photographs of the car.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 1:09 pm 

A cigarette racer, cool :thmbsup:
Formula Ford is probably a good class of racing to look at for inspiration. The bodies nowadays are a lot more aerodynamic but the suspension designs will transfer over.
Don't need a reverse or you can get away with a minimalist reverse? Use Yamaha R1 or Hayabusa power. ...
This will give you an idea of how a 'Busa sings on the track. .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_E8LCvCBhU
Or here to see one being driven at competitive speed with a poor sound track (but no opponents). .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsXsVv_5tw&spfreload=10

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 1:52 pm 

thanks for your reply.
if I know how they sound. a guy my city has built a car (fiberglass fiat 600) with an engine of those.
but my intention is to make a replica,, ford with the same engine, same gearbox. same suspension, and riveted aluminum monocoque chassis. as close to the real car.
I know ... now would not be a competitive machine. no matter, I think it is still a nice car,, ahead of his era
most components are relatively easy to find.

John

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 2:57 pm 

Some 1600 Formula's use an upside down VW type 1 trans (to lower the center of gravity) and a Ford 4 cylinder. ... And they're very competitive with a power to weight ratio roughly matching a 300 hp Miata (dependent on final weight). :ack:

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 3:02 pm 

(side note, total thread hijack)
Fiat 600. .... :drool: I wish I could get a 3d scan of a 600 multipla body. .... With the right drive train and brakes it would be a PERFECT field technician transport vehicle.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 4:36 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Front end
http://atspeedimages.com/image.php/051b ... nt_end.jpg

Perhaps a different junior Lotus since the frontend is different:
http://carslist-db.com/photo/lotus-form ... fault.html

Specifications:
http://www.sportscars.tv/Newfiles/FJ1963.html

Not exactly original pics.

If you do have trouble finding a hewland, consider a Porsche 914 5 speed.

Attachments:
27 1.jpg
27 1.jpg [ 150.33 KiB | Viewed 4776 times ]
27.jpg
27.jpg [ 156.1 KiB | Viewed 4776 times ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 4:38 pm 

yes this is the correct configuration for this car,, wv based Hewland gearbox and xflow ford 1100cc engine . I put a picture of the original car, where you can see the settings discussed.
Does anyone have detailed photos of close to the original car? .. I guess drawings or plans is mission impossible

my colleague's car is not legal for street only for use in circuit and hill climbing. (Very good roads in Mallorca). some pictures ..

Attachments:
mqdefault (1).jpg
mqdefault (1).jpg [ 7.69 KiB | Viewed 4700 times ]
mqdefault.jpg
mqdefault.jpg [ 11.01 KiB | Viewed 4700 times ]
DSC_5593.jpg
DSC_5593.jpg [ 285.79 KiB | Viewed 4776 times ]

Last edited by mr-smith on December 1, 2014, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 4:47 pm 

Thanks .Miatav8, MstrASE, A & P, F
  wow,,,,, much engine do not intend to go that far. with four cylinders is enough.
which car is this ??

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 4:53 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Phillips H Ribbs 1963 model.

PostPosted: November 30, 2014, 5:42 pm 
The voice of reason

I think if you want to do this well you will have to locate a car in a museum or an owner that would be willing to let you look at it, measure it and take notes. I can find many nice pictures of this car but have not seen the details of the construction, just race photos.

There are web sites that track these cars in detail including serial number and owner history so plenty of searching should help here. These sites may provide advice and help on construction.

What model car have you included a picture above from your colleague? Is it a different, but similar Lotus? I can't see the steel bulkhead at the rear but not the detail of the monocoque. That Hewland appears to have different side covers with mounting ears taller than usual, perhaps normal for a MK IV though.

This should be a doable, reasonable and desirable project. It is a beautiful car. If you can find one in a museum I think you will also find sympathy and help there.

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 5:14 pm 

Thanks, but I live on an island in the Mediterranean Sea,,, few lotus around here,, :( I would have to travel far to see this car.
I certainly found many photos, some current season and many, many with good details,, but as you say, few details of construction,
anyway does not seem a complicated car,, what worries me more is the rigidity of the monocoque and the suspension geometry,,
I am starting with some drawings and templates of wood. ,, I do not want to rush. haste always betray me.
I'm looking for pictures by the network,, but not much material in this car.
The car of my colleague, is a "thing" that has built, with hayabusa engine and form of fiat 600.
the last picture is of a Lotus Type 27, I guess this must be more or less original, in this photo, you can see how narrow is the Cabin maximum width,, outside of the tube is about 26 ". on each side seat are the fuel tanks.

I sincerely hope that the translator of google is doing a good job (I have no idea English).

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 6:48 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Here is a photo you won't find on the internet. I took this photo about 5 years ago at Barber Motorsport Park Museum in Birmingham, AL. The car was on a stand (see black framing holding it up). Lots to look at there.

Attachments:
PICT0025.JPG
PICT0025.JPG [ 97.56 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]
PICT0008.jpg
PICT0008.jpg [ 108.7 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]
PICT0028.jpg
PICT0028.jpg [ 143.05 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]
PICT0022.JPG
PICT0022.JPG [ 97.21 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]
PICT0017.jpg
PICT0017.jpg [ 191.12 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]
PICT0001.jpg
PICT0001.jpg [ 123.42 KiB | Viewed 4688 times ]

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 7:28 pm 

MiataV8,
That would be an earlier Lotus, looks like a 22.

mr-smith,

If I were to build a 27 I would have a look at the information available about the 25 first. There are some drawings of it floating about in the internet, though they're from model car magazines. The 27 is a slightly smaller 25. I think the big thing is determining whether or not the side panels of the tub are compound curved or just rolled. If they're just rolled, then it shouldn't be too difficult to make you're own, but if they have a compound curve it will mean a bit of english wheeling. This project sounds interesting to me, I've given a small amount of thought into building one of these as well, but again lack of space, time, money and lack of space to drive it always puts an end to the thoughts.

Rod

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 7:54 pm 

You could stay simple, Formula V with a flipped over VW trans and a Mazda Rotary. ... 8) Ok, I know, it's a kinda crappy front suspension design but why not?
Cheap and easy, stable, well understood behavior, performs as a stressed member in front ;) . ....
Here's a couple of pics from a build, the main differences are the nose (short and closed instead of long and open) and the VW cooling tin cover. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450978

PostPosted: December 1, 2014, 8:58 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

cs3tcr wrote:
MiataV8,
That would be an earlier Lotus, looks like a 22.
Rod

I see what you mean. Wasn't sure what the difference was until now. Found some great 27 photos:

http://www.bahnerengineering.com/id7.html