LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 18, 2019, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 2, 2014, 4:50 pm 

nice pics of the museum,,,, I would have liked to be there with my camera and my measuring tape. Thanks, miatav8. I've seen those pictures,(with magnifying glass), as you can see the structure is very simple, and it seems that the outer skin does not form an important part of the structure,, especially taking intoaccount that in some units the outer layer was built in fiber glass.

What is still not clear to me is whether under the aluminum sheet carries some kind of steel structure, guess some reinforcements should go under engine mounts and anchors the suspension, but not if they joined together to form a substructure.
I've seen that in the elfin type 100. reinforcements are joined together to form a sub-frame and aluminum sheet is riveted to form a monocoque

PostPosted: December 2, 2014, 5:05 pm 

I think that the only steel structures in the chassis are the front suspension "cross member" which looks more like a double diaphragm panel, the roll hoop/firewall, rear suspension hoop and perhaps the dash hoop. I don't think it has a structure like the Elfin, and from what I recall Lotus quickly stopped using the FG outer skins once they found it wasn't stiff enough.

All this has me thinking I should try measuring up the Lotus 25 model that Tamiya makes/made. It might be an interesting thing for me to do in 3D.

Rod