LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 25, 2016, 6:22 pm 

this is my first post!!!! I'm a junior in college and a friend of mine and I rally a 2003 wrx hatch, and we race both rallyX and longer road race events. and we have some spare parts from a few parts cars laying about. Anyone ever build a locost to rally it? :lol: I know that sounds crazy but we have a justy in the back garage its 4wd and makes 80hp NA, so could we build that into a tube car?

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 12:30 am 

Since the Group B thing, tube chassis rally cars have been heavily frowned upon and banned. As annoying as it is, the only area I can think of that allows some (CrossKart) is the Nordic countries. Also, if you managed to get the OK, caging it to spec would be very tough. You also need to carry some gear, which is why hatches are so popular.

Probably have more fun spending the money building a standard rally car.
Cheers.

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 3:16 am 

well I wanted to build one for fun more than to race competitively. More of a way to use spare parts from some of the [PooPoo] we have laying about the farm.

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 10:15 am 

There are some pictures about of a *very* clean Subaru-powered Locost down in Australia or NZ. That was the old-school engine. Has the engine in the usual (Locost) place, slid back against the firewall.

surferjohnhawaii hasn't updated his build thread in quite a while, but he's quite far along with an AWD Subaru Locost build:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16857&hilit=subaru

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 3:20 pm 
The voice of reason

Sounds like you may get something like a Baja Bug. It's a good idea and may be a lot of fun. So go for it. I'm sure we'll enjoy watching. There is not much that you can get from a Locost frame to help you though, they will not stand for that type of abuse and I think your donor engine will be more suited for midship use.

Are you an engineering student? There's a lot to be learned from using some of the software packages that calculate loads stresses and strains on the frame.

PostPosted: January 26, 2016, 11:33 pm 

Ah OK. I figured you wanted to go racing. Sure then, slap that Justy stuff into a chassis and have some fun. Or, just to throw it out there, you could use it as a mid engine, RWD donor. Look into Saker cars to get what I mean.

Cheers.

PostPosted: January 28, 2016, 11:48 am 

What I'd like to do along these lines is to take a cosmetically-totalled AWD Car and strip it down to the very most basic drivetrain, suspension and floor pan. Then build a tube frame on it and drop on an interesting classic body - like a Karmann Ghia. It wouldn't be as light as a full space frame, but it'd be a good bit lighter than stock, and the suspension bits would hold up to more abuse because of less inertial force on them. If you don't have a spare Subaru lying around, this formula would work well on practically anything. A 30-40 percent weight reduction along with a stiffer chassis is a win on practically any car. Look at some of the coolness in this thread:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 417/page1/

PostPosted: January 30, 2016, 4:03 am 

actually both of us are engineering students, hes an EE and I'm an ME. between us we can solve any problem on the course but after a bit of examination I think that we are gonna design an open source sports hatch something wide and low and aggressive. Something that will love dirt and tarmac and snow. Would you guys like to see an sort of features? I'll do it

PostPosted: August 31, 2017, 11:31 am 

There is a guy that campaigns a Westfield in Barbados on rallies. He has lots of experience with breaking things and has developed solutions. He might be a resource....
see this thread
http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/188 ... ty/?page=0

Beardy