LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 12, 2019, 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 20, 2015, 7:27 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
SkiRideDrive wrote:
WOW, I just noticed you guys are local!

I am in Carlsbad. We should all grab a beer one day. I don't have any fun street legal toys at the moment... so nothing to show off.

I'm out of town right now, but you are welcome to come over and see my build (in progress, not completed) when I get back later this month. Just PM me with your phone number if you're interested and I'll call when I return.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Sounds good. PM Sent.

PostPosted: April 20, 2015, 7:35 pm 

stinger wrote:
Good luck and have fun with your project. I have built a number of cars using C5 suspension and drivetrain. The parts are great and my finished cars have been a blast.
For 1 of them I kept the stock C5 wheelbase (the suspension cradles bolted into my frame) but shortened the torque tube and driveshaft and moved the engine 23 inches rearward. The process was not difficult. I had a friend of mine that owns a machine shop do the shortening and then another friend that owns a company that builds Aluminum components weld it. It's been in my car for 9 years with out a problem. The shifter rod was also shortened and a new mount for the shifter welded to the torque tube.

On another car I again used C5 Components and drivetrain. For this car I built the suspension pick up points into the frame and didn't use the C5's suspension cradles. I couldn't use the C5's transaxle for this car because of the chassis width and seating position. I used a T56 transmission out of a Camero and bolted it to the LS6 engine. I had my machine shop friend make an input shaft for the C5's diff so that a driveshaft can be used. The input shaft is supported by large bearing in an aluminum plate that bolts to the diff and in turn to the rear of my backbone trans tunnel. I've run this version in my Cobra since 2008 and it works perfectly. I had extra adapters for the driveshaft made at the time.

I am pretty sure that the DMV will not classify a C5 stripped down to the drivetrain bolted into the cradles as a frame. I believe that they will consider them components. To make one of my cars easy to register I made some simple bolt on body panels that resemble a 23 Model T. The DMV registered my car as a 1923 Model T Street Rod. :)

Here is a picture of the input shaft for the diff.

Thanks for chiming in. Your work is very nice. At the moment I am leaning towards stock wheelbase without shortening. Just for ease of fabrication. This way I can even use the stock fuel tanks behind the passengers.

I have been putting thought into the cradles, but I am leaning towards not using them. I don't have a lot of experience with the corvette drivetrain, and haven't gotten my hands on a donor yet, but I'm thinking the drivetrain install would go something like this: Install motor from the top, probably add a bolt in crossmember over the front of the motor between the upper shock mounts, pre-attach the diff/trans to the torque tube and then install that assembly from the rear and from above. sliding the torque tube down under the shoulder restraint bar and through the passenger compartment to bolt up to the bellhousing, and lowering the trans into place simultaneously. Then I would install the tripod housings and bolt everything up.

I am definitely open to suggestions though in terms of motor/trans/torque tube installation and removal and how to design the chassis to make it all work.

PostPosted: April 20, 2015, 11:28 pm 
Toyotaphobe

What year models have the transmission in the rear?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: April 21, 2015, 12:22 am 

The 1997 and up Corvettes have all run transaxles.