LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The GWTFFM
PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 8:54 am 

I did a test fit tonight of the CV shaft into the transmission with the differential installed, to verify my shield tube dimensions before cutting it down to final length.

Turns out I modeled the CV shaft nearly an inch too long, and never caught it till now. That's a mixed bag, since I was looking to use the shortest shaft possible, but this may make the bearing carrier hit the front side iron.

Currently transporting transmission and shaft back to where the engine is, to do another test fit.

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 3:37 pm 

Went a bit overboard once I bolted the adapter to the engine and the transmission to the adapter.

I do remember doing a fit check of the intake before, but I wanted to get some current photos and verify that I didn't miss anything.

The jackshaft clears the front cover and the front side iron, so I can cut the shield tube and mill the outer contour of the brace this weekend.

Now that I think of it, I remember doing the physical check for the jackshaft clearing back when I had the chunk of MDF instead of a machined adapter.

PostPosted: October 13, 2017, 8:10 pm 
We are Slotus!

So, what's with all the green paint? :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD "Look Who's Talking" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 14, 2017, 12:25 pm 

It's a three stage paint job.
Grabber Green enamel over polished aluminum, with a metalcast green candy over the top, and a clear coat over that.

The base coat is an adhesion promotor on the bare metal.

Oh, what's WITH the paint. Well, I liked the green, the 13B runs on money, the project is a bit of a money sink, so it all fits. :mrgreen:

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: October 29, 2017, 1:30 am 

The jackshaft brace (Ok, CV shaft bearing carrier brace...) is all done except for tapping two holes.

It's got a few pockmarks and some definite patina, but the 1" plate it was made out of wasn't virgin stock.

Next order of business is cutting the section of tube that the shaft runs through to length, and turning the part that bolts to the adapter plate.

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 12:01 am 

Shot just under 12GiB of 4K footage tonight. Now to chop-n-slice and upload to the tubes.

06 325xi
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 3:53 pm 

Enjoy!

For higher resolution, it's recommended to use the youtube app or website.

I'll take some still photos once everything is finished, for those that don't have the time/don't feel like sitting through 30 minutes of video. :wink:

06 325xi

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 11:58 pm 

300D50 wrote:
I'll take some still photos once everything is finished, for those that don't have the time/don't feel like sitting through 30 minutes of video. :wink:

Thank you, thank you, thank you I prefer pics, I get the same info in way less time
JM2cents

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 1:14 am 

I also prefer photos and text, it always ends up being easier to search and bookmark.

It's also easier to produce. And I can edit what I say without having to do audio editing/voiceover work.

I was inspired by a forum buddies video build log, and decided to try the format for myself.

In all honesty, it's cool to produce your own content, edit it, etc, but I think I'll stick to text and photo for most of it, unless it's something like a detailed walk around or a "first" event.

Last edited by 300D50 on November 3, 2017, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 1:32 am 

This is the end flange that will eventually be welded to the jackshaft protection tube/brace, and be bolted into the adapter plate.
I need to skim cut it a little bit on the lathe, it has more of a press fit than a slip fit, and I don't want it to bind in there permanently when it's welded to the tube.

One other thing I have to deal with is putting thread inserts in the adapter plate, since I had originally drilled and reamed the three holes for dowel pins, and did not punch the screw holes. Then I removed the dowels from the design, and confused their holes with untapped M6.

The helicoils should have arrived Thursday, but UPS had a delay. I needed to get 2D ones so I could go the full thickness of the plate, or I would have just installed the ones in my kit and been done with it.

I'll be editing the second part of the video where this was finished, and uploading it sometime later Friday.

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 1:36 pm 

Part two.

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 1:38 pm 

Well, the helicoils didn't work this time. The holes were too large for the tap to get a good bite, and the coils wouldn't seat fully.
When I broke the drive tangs off on two of them, the coils stretched out... :shock:

I broke down and ordered an M6 Time-Sert Big-Sert kit, at a "It's a lifetime investment." cost, and we'll see how things go from there.

On the plus side, the flange is finished, and I have my final measurements for the tube length.

That's after some careful hacksaw work to get it sorta the right length, I'll still need to turn the ends to get to final dimensions.

As of now, it looks like everything should fit together nicely.

PostPosted: November 11, 2017, 10:39 pm 

Got myself a shifter base from an 05 Maxima 6 speed at the junkyard today.

Now I can clone my own when the time comes.

06 325xi

PostPosted: November 19, 2017, 2:34 am 

I had the section of tube faced and machined to length on Wednesday. One of my buddies is going to do the welding, and I'll be ready to do final fitup.

The timeserts went in the adapter plate on Saturday, with no fanfare or funny business.

Now that I have the insert tool set, they're actually quite economical.

I ordered a set of 06 Sentra SE-R Spec V shifter cables from the local Nissan dealer on Wednesday, which should be in on Monday.

PostPosted: November 19, 2017, 8:07 am 

Thanks for the CNC video, it confirmed all my worst fears. CNC is a special hell invented for the dyslexic.

Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next