LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 11, 2019, 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: The GWTFFM
PostPosted: October 1, 2019, 9:14 pm 

300D50 wrote:
I've got a 2008 Audi Q7 190A alternator on the way ... it's liquid cooled

That used to be the domain of seriously expensive industrial equipment.

There's a chart from AC Delco floating about the web that shows the output of automotive, marine, OTR, and industrial alternators. Something it mentions is that the rated output of alternators is *cold*. As the alternator warms up the amperage falls off sharply. And more sharply for the small-format modern alternators than for the old ones. Some of the 100 amp alternators would drop to 50A or less after a few minutes at full load.

Post subject: Re: The GWTFFM
PostPosted: November 14, 2019, 1:04 pm 

Nothing much new, winter and the time change/darker evenings hit like a dang mule and derailed my efforts a bit.

I'm going with a gilmer drive for the alternator and sump pump, I ordered in a cheap kit a few days after the alternator came in.
The ratios work out close to what I need, and the sump pump needs a gilmer anyways.

The original OAD (over-run clutch) on the alternator is getting turned down (Well, a new one is, but semantics) and press-fit into the bored out pulley from the kit.

One little "issue" is the Q7 alternator does not have computerized field control, so the ECU can't disengage it like the factory one.

I'm going to look into doing some surgery to the Q7 alt to breakout the field wiring and run a Mazda regulator.
Or just live with it the way it is.
The joy of custom stuff.

Still have yet to decide where I want to mount the alternator, but I'm leaning towards the existing top mount more and more.

A recent addition to my toolset is a bare bones china 3D printer, for those times when I want to turn 5+ hours into a plastic test part.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11