LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 17, 2019, 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mono variant Build Team
PostPosted: September 29, 2015, 1:43 pm 

Hey everyone. I love the idea of the Locost. I love watching a lot of your build logs and seeing the creative solutions to problems inherent to assembling a motorized vehicle. I also love the fact that you can have a car that has Supercar performance at the cost of a small used car off craigslist.

For this reason I want to build a BAC MONO variant in the locost tradition. I’d like to build a car with 200-300 hp that weighs less than 1000 lbs. And I’d like your help designing it. I would like to assemble a team of volunteers to design this car with me. After the car has been designed we will then release the model for anyone to use the plans for free.

My goal is to have a beautiful and well thought out car and see people all over the world build it, just as we have seen the lotus 7.
If you are interested in joining me in the design or would like more information please message me. We can keep all developments in a build thread for everyone to enjoy just we have enjoyed so many other builds.

Thank you everyone
Monomike

p.s. I wasn’t sure if I am allowed to solicit help like this but if I am Thank you

PostPosted: September 29, 2015, 3:34 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome Mike.

You've asked nicely so here is your post. When I read these posts of folks willing to run a project, I often feel a sense of something about it that is hard to put a finger on - but it just feels unrealistic. Projects are fun and they don't even have to really produce a result to be worthwhile for the people involved.

What are you bringing to this besides a good amount of enthusiasm? Why would you want to build one of those? If you want to drive fast, why not buy a racecar? If you buy racecar you'll be able to compete and figure out wether you are any good or not. It would also provide you the education to actually survive driving at this level.

Getting people to volunteer for you is a complicated process. Your asking for lot of work to be contributed from people on a forum who are already investing a great deal of time in building their own cars. Start doing some modeling or drafting etc. Expect to invest many hundreds of hours in drawing and then many hundreds of hours doing FEA etc. That's what it would take to even get people to pay attention to your questions, I suspect.

If you have a choice between doing this project and doing a locost and also having time to meet and fall in love with someone - I don't think there is much contest on which path will make you happier both in the short and long run! :)

PostPosted: September 29, 2015, 9:39 pm 

I know that there is an interest in a single seat car. I also know that driving in the center position is supposed to be one of the most thrilling experiences in driving. Every review you see on the mono or the sing seater ford have always produced massive grins.

When I first got started in the Locost I bought the book by Chris Gibbs and started buying up parts for the build. I then started the frame and dropped the engine in the chassis and had to hit the pause button. I, like alot of other people loved the idea of the open top and performance but just could not get over the looks. So I called it quits and started planning a build. A year later I came up with a design for a two seater LMP 2 style car. (check out the SP300 R). While doing all of this I have always loved the single seater design. I have ridden motorcycles for awhile and loved the feeling of just you and the machine. Maybe that's why i love the idea of the single seater so much. So I scrapped my LMP design.

What I plan on doing is pulling together a good team of people who feel the same way I feel. People who have not started their build but are in the design phase. This will offer an opportunity for all of us to design a well thought out car (two brains are better than one) better and faster. Not the mention the support from this forum and the rest of the team. I have started modeling the Chassis and have delineated the specs for what this car should be. If someone has a design of a system or part but do not have the ability to model it and make plans I would love doing that. I love the design just as much as I love the actual building.

As for getting people to volunteer. Believe me its not easy to assemble a team and that's why I have turned to the thousands of motivated people on this forum. I guess I'm looking for the person who this project will benefit mutually. Like I said this is an opportunity to design and build a vehicle the locost way that no one else has done before.

I hope all that made sense. I'm a draftman not a writer. :P

I'll try and post a few pics of the LMP style car the the Chassis. (The chassis has about 3 hours of work into it so far)

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 1:09 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I've found that in general, people likely to build a car from scratch tend to be fiercely independent, which makes them a poor choice for designing by committee. On top of that, the pool of interest gets smaller for a single-seater, and even further reduced since it'll be difficult to insure or register as a road-going car.

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 8:30 pm 

KB58 wrote:
I've found that in general, people likely to build a car from scratch tend to be fiercely independent, which makes them a poor choice for designing by committee. On top of that, the pool of interest gets smaller for a single-seater, and even further reduced since it'll be difficult to insure or register as a road-going car.

I strongly agree with Kurt's comments. I'm on my second scratch built car project after selling my Locost, and I would find it very frustrating if I had a bunch of other people trying to pull together the design by committee.

Driving my Locost for 7 years before selling it, I found that you get way more joy out of it if you can bring passengers along for the experience, which can't be done in a single seater. Another option you might want to consider is to save a bunch of time and buy something similar to what you want, like this:

http://superlitecars.com/index.php/cars/nemesis#1728-n1

Mark

PostPosted: September 30, 2015, 10:29 pm 

Mono Mike, Welcome to the board.

I'm sorry to hear that your Locost build didn't inspire to finish but i for one hope that you may one day return to the build.

Designing and drawing pretty pictures are easy, I do it all day long developing electronics test equipment, but developing an automotive/racing platform and having it do what you want is a very different ball of wax. I built circle track frames as well as aerospace frames for a while and now have started my Locost "hobby" build. I miss welding. I hate being in an office.

It is really going to come down to the building of the frame being 70% of your time and the design being the remainder. If you know where to see a BAC up close grab your camera, tape measure an note pad and get as much knowledge as you can. With the owners permission.

For the Lo-cost you may want to start with a subaru engine drive train. Dirt cheap to source and lots of details out there on using them on a mid. Also the very low center of gravity. mod the Locost book chassis to how you need it.

Non of us wish to be discouraging and i for one would love to help but this preten-gineer will only be able to devote so much time and as will many other on the board. Ask lots of questions and if you are serious about the committee design start a google group or some such other collaboration site to help moderate if you are truly serious and i will join.

Paper and spread sheet to figure you funding are your best friend.

Maybe even start a kickstarter???

I hope this babbling makes sense and is helpful.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: October 1, 2015, 9:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
preten-gineer
:rofl: BRILLIANT! May I steal that one?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 1, 2015, 10:15 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
preten-gineer
:rofl: BRILLIANT! May I steal that one?

Sure! I used to use imagineer but i was infringing on Disney copy rights LOL

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log