LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 21, 2019, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 12:42 pm 

I saw this and it looks doable to me. What do you think? Its a profusion Typhoon

Attachments:
0506ae2.png
0506ae2.png [ 281.86 KiB | Viewed 3606 times ]
PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 1:17 pm 
The voice of reason

I don't know the story bt from a quick Google search that car seems to be an MEV kitcar called the "Sonic 7". We have some threads here that discuss that car and some other kits they make. The designer has posted here. Most of that is about kits of a simpler version that uses as much as possible of the Miata, so more compromises.

There is another 7 type midship kit available in the UK called a Sylvia Riot, I think. Not sure that's the right kit, but pretty sure the company name is Sylvia.

I don't understand your question though, do you want to buy the kit or use it as a guideline and build your own?

Another thingto help put answers in context is how much time are you wanting to invest in this. Not in an exact number of hours but taking a book Locost at one end of the effort, how much additional time would you like to invest to make something that is more custom to your desires - like the mid--engine etc.?

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 4:28 pm 

I don't think it's the Sonic. Maybe a copy. From the Internet:

Quote:
Typhoon specifications:

- 2.0 liter petrol motor
- 145 BHP and 188 Nm torque
- Kerb weight of merely 630 kg
- Power to weight ratio of 230 BHP / Tonne
- 0 - 96 kph time of 4.3 seconds

Profusion Exotic Cars, says they already have UK type approval, and are looking at making the car road legal. The ability to get RTO approval will be crucial in India; unless owners can get their cars registered at the RTO and drive them on public roads, the Typhoon won't even succeed at becoming a niche product.

As with most hand-built cars, there are plenty of customisation options. Owners can choose the seat colour, brake caliper colour, brake disc pattern, rear wing colour, wheel arch shape and different steering options. You also get push button start & a colour matched helmet.

UK prices start at around £29,000 while India prices will be in the range of Rs. 55 lakh (ex-showroom). Coming up are variations that include a simpler (cheaper) model, as well as one in track trim.

Profusion Exotic Cars India Private Ltd. is the Indian subsidiary of Profusion (UK), setup in Bangalore, Karnataka.

$29K Pounds?

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 5:41 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Leggman wrote:
I saw this and it looks doable to me. What do you think?

Is it doable? Sure it is, but that leaves many open-ended and unanswered issues at your end: budget, abilities, timeframe, skillset, etc, etc.

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 6:32 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I don't think it's the Sonic. Maybe a copy.

One of the things that came up in Google was a news article mentioning the first MEC Sonic 7s had been shipped to Profusion as flat pack kits or something like that. I didn't look further but the bodywork is very similar...

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 7:00 pm 

I have always been the type of guy that loves a challenge. Maybe I am not looking at this realistically but to me it looks very doable. A slightly modified locost frame and a fiberglass body. Will it be harder than a standard locost? sure it will but is it feasible with my skillset and facilities. I think so.
Now comes the question of time and finances. I am 58 years young, The kids are grown and gone, I have a shop with all the tools to make it happen and me and my wife both have good day jobs. I am blessed in many ways and over the years I have come to realize that I enjoy doing things that most people either can't or won't do. Do I see this project ever being 100% completed????
When someone on here can define completed let me know. I still haven't been able to figure that one out yet :lol:

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 7:07 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzkrKfk4kYE

Gotta win to get love.

Everybody knows that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3C1Ep ... D3E18BB447

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 7:30 pm 

If you want to get inspiration from the (better looking IMHO) original that the Sonic is a poor copy of, do a Google search for the "Okuyama KO7"

PostPosted: December 7, 2015, 8:00 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
There is another 7 type midship kit available in the UK called a Sylvia Riot, I think. Not sure that's the right kit, but pretty sure the company name is Sylvia.

It's Sylva (no 'i'). Derived from 'Sylvan', because the company, when originally formed, was in the New Forest area of England.

Sylva's owner/designer, Jeremy Phillips, has a track record of developing cars then selling them on; the Riot (originally R1ot, 'cos it used a Yamaha R1 bike engine) has moved on and is now with a company called Xmoor Cars Ltd:

http://www.riotcars.co.uk/index.php/riot_classic/?___store=default

We've had a large number of midship 7-types here in the UK; but the one in the OP is certainly the MEV Sonic 7.

PostPosted: December 8, 2015, 1:24 am 
The voice of reason

Sam, sorry for mis-remembering the name and thanks for posting the link. There are some good pictures there showing the front suspension rocker arms and a nicely thought out frame.

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 8:49 am 

Not DOT legal? Making it DOT legal would seriously screw up the look.

PostPosted: December 9, 2015, 3:26 pm 

Depends on where you are. A set of projector headlights wouldn't hurt too much. It already has mirrors. Bumpers are only required in a few places. Cut down the windshields into "bug deflectors" and you avoid the safety glass issue, though at least one state requires you to have windshield wipers whether you have a windshield or not.

I don't see that it would be any more difficult to license than a Locost.