LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 1, 2016, 6:24 pm 

can the two be mated I'm not building to race I'm builing for fun so wheel base isn't as much of an issue i just dont have any idea if it would be possible?

PostPosted: March 1, 2016, 7:36 pm 

Yes. BB69's build, for example.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2857

The issue is that the Corvette manual gearbox has the shaft for the shifter come out inside the bellhousing. But, if you're motivated enough it's possible to build a frankenstein T56 that will work.

PostPosted: March 2, 2016, 2:43 pm 

are the tail housings the same? would the tail housing with a diff fit on a fbody

PostPosted: March 2, 2016, 5:55 pm 

The tailhousings are different but will bolt right up since the main case is the same on every t56. But the F-body mainshaft will not work with the Corvette diff.

As near as I can tell, what you want to end up with is an f-body bellhousing and front plate, a corvette mainshaft and tailhousing, and everything else from whatever you started out with. Then you'd cut either the front or rear off of the selector rail (depending on what you started with) and cut out the middle for a front shift conversion.

It would be easier to start with a corvette box since you'd just need to swap the front plate and add a bellhousing. Starting with an F-body box will require a complete teardown to replace the mainshaft. And as a bonus the Vette boxes come with better synchros. Either way the reverse lockout will be an issue, and the shifter mechanism will require some engineering.

PostPosted: March 5, 2016, 3:51 am 

well if its going behind me I figure reverse lockout will always be and issue. Im pretty skilled with electronics and may figure a way to use actuators and paddles or a setup the mocks up the feel of a gated manual

PostPosted: March 5, 2016, 6:07 pm 

I'm a little dense. So, what are you trying to accomplish. Midengine?
I've used the Vette transaxle, suspension, and diff in a few different builds. I may be able to help but I'm not clear on the end goal here.