LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 3:09 pm 

Hi, new here. I'm looking for help putting together two of my favorite things. A 1970 Subaru 360 and a modern subaru ej2.5. I'm hoping for an all up weight of 1400 lbs. Two seats and a whole lotta fun. I want it road worthy and to use in cone crushing ... I mean auto cross. My plan is to take one of my old 360 bodies build a frame that will accept the drivetrain from a wrx essentially with the subagear spool to make the trans into a transaxle for mid engine service. I plan to use Miata front spindles and possibly miata rears or possibly wrx rears haven't crossed that bridge yet. The 360 itself complete and road worthy weighed 925lbs. So I'm thinking the target weight is in reach. Also considering flat 6 suby power. I don't have a problem stretching the body lengthwise since the normal wheel base is 1800 mm. If I can keep it great. if not oh well. Also planning wide body mods to cover the wheels. Any advice will be openly welcomed. Thanks

PostPosted: March 15, 2016, 11:30 pm 

Sounds great. Although I believe that Bremar's kit to disable the rear transaxle output is cheaper than Subaru Gears version. Personally I'm not wild about having a motor in the back seat. If you have the money and want to be super cool, maybe consider using the Subaru gears reverse Pinion, put the engine behind the rear wheels, and run a shaft up to the front - make it AWD!

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 8:00 am 

I had considered that but I'm thinking too much mulla and the front wheel drive would be useless cause the wheel would never have any weight on them. I think someone is doing a Dune buggy like that. It would also add too much weight. But I like the thought.

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 8:33 am 

The flat 6 is only ~2" longer than the ej25. Not a huge amount of space to make up.. and they do have the metal timing chain covers, which actually saves you space over the giant plastic timing belt cover of the 25. You also might want to look into a FWD transmission as well. IIRC, they save nearly 2" off the backside, are ~20 lbs lighter and are narrower through the body. Its been a while since I saw a pre 96 FWD transmission though.

As far as rear hubs etc.. the 2000-2004 and 2005-2009 legacy rear suspension was a multi link set up, that would probably be easier to adapt to the 360 than a macpherson set up. All (GD/GG) WRXs from 2002-2007 had macpherson suspension front and rear. I think that the 2005-09 legacy rear's had different splined axles though, so you may have your hand forced by spline count to the 2000-2004.

Either way, keep us posted!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 10:17 am 

Where might one find a fwd trans? I don't know if they would bolt up to the ej 2.5 or six. I like the six cylinder idea but if I find a fwd trans my concern is durability. Vehicle will be much lighter but hoping for more power. Any links on the legacy multilink?

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 10:40 am 

the transmission bolt pattern of Any EJ/EZ/EG bellhousing is the same across all motors. Any transmission will bolt up to any motor. You'd be looking for a 92-96 FWD transmission. They came on the 1.8 and 2.2 legacys and imprezas. They used cable actuated clutches. As far as a power levels go.. As long as you don't launch it frequently, or slam 1st-2nd with some mega clutch kicks... you'll be fine. FWIW.. I ran 260whp/280WTQ through a stock 4.11 legacy 5 speed in a 3200lb car for tens of thousands of miles with no problems.. and I didn't treat it kindly.

As far as the legacy multi link rear.. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Pictures?

This is as clear a picture as I can find right now (granted, of an 08 WRX rear end.. but its the same design, just different dimensions). They use a bolt in subframe, with an external mounting point for the trailing arms. It would be fairly easy to adapt.

And here is a slightly different picture.
Attachment:
untitled.png

The reason I suggest this, over the macpherson rear, is the macphearson rear strut has a much much higher upper mounting point that would be really crappy to try and use in the 360 platform. This could easily be narrowed, or have the center chopped out and still retain a bolt in cradle/ powertrain platform with factory replacement parts. If you find one from an H6 powered car.. outback wagon, legacy wagon, legacy SUS, you'll get the larger vented rear discs as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: March 16, 2016, 10:51 am 

Also, no idea where you are in west Virginia... but a quick search shows a couple in the area.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi? ... ge=1&iKey=

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 10:41 am 

My understanding is that the EG33 (getting harder to find) is the short one, and that the later sixes (EZ series) are significantly longer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 11:07 am 

From the best of my recollection.. the eg33 only came in the SVX, and was an ej22 with two extra cylinders. I *think* it was .75" wider, 1" shorter but 3" longer at the longest point.

The ez30D was designed for the 3rd gen SUS and outback - it has the exact same dimensions height and width wise as the ej25 series, but .75" longer. The ez30R and 36R also the plastic intake manifolds, the ez36R had dual cam AVLS, while the ez30R and 30D only came with intake side AVLS. Also, the early ez30D's had one port per head on the exhaust, where as the later and the 30/36R had 3 ports per head.

Weight of the ez30 was similar to the ej25, the 36R uses the same block, but an offset crank, which is why they've never been viable boost motors. The 30D and 30R are rev happy motors though.. 7k rpm is not out of the questions by any means.

If it were my party, I would swing an EZ30D, followed by an EG33 (rare as you stated), then 30R and 36R in that order. The reasoning being the 30R and 36R are used in can bus systems, and would almost certainly required an aftermarket stand alone ECU, where as the 30D and ECU can be plucked from the system with little trouble. It actually only takes 3 wires to run a 30D in a donor car, though many more would be needed for cluster functionality and the like.

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 12:36 pm 

You've really peaked my interest with the EZ30D - I have a project that it'd probably be perfect for. But we shouldn't hijack this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop!

PostPosted: July 12, 2016, 9:59 am 

Been a while but I'm very thankful for the discussion. I really want to keep as many subie parts as possible. The link for the available salvage yards was really helpful. I do have a front wheel drive trans and the six has been a thought all along. Any opinions on outfront motor sports? They offer used jdm engines with ecu. Was considering them for the ease of wiring head aches. But if I could get the engine and ecu running with three wires I'd love to know the three I need and what other pcs would be required. I'll have to list the front wheel drive trany info. Also I'm planning to cut up a 360 body possibly stretch it a bit because the front suspension and brakes will not be adequate and they were trailing arm arangement. Many of these unsold 360's were used in a franchise called "Fast Track". In the franchise you got 10 360s and the owner would make a dirt track lined with tires and a lot of tight corners. You paid for one timed lap around the coarse. Many 360 were demolished on these tracks. Also the kingpins were found to be week even with the 925 lb weight and limited speeds on these tracks. I am planning double wishbone front and rear or possibly the multilnk similar to the wrx. I've given in to the idea I'm going to have to have some new half shafts made. I do want to widen the fenders out possibly 4 to six inches to assist with better handling.