LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 12:31 pm 

Hi, I have been watching the forum for years. I always wanted to build a Seven replica but other projects pushed it to the back burner. In the past year I made a big effort to sell off my vintage motorcycles and cars, and this is what I am left with; 1972 c3 corvette rolling chassis with Dayton wire wheels, a SBC 350, a t-10 transmission with a Hurst shifter, an unused and assembled Jegster 8 point roll bar kit and various other small corvette parts.

I thought about getting a stock body and making a vintage racer but that is not the experience I am after. I am looking to build a roadster using the same build techniques as the Lowcost, Midlana etc. I don't have a lot of money in it as it sits, so i am looking to have some fun with it (Goal number 1). My inspirations; Excalibur series 1 Roadster, Kurtis Kraft Roadster, the famous Caballo de Hierro by AK Miller, and even the Roadkill Corvette Kart, the Mechanics Illistrated Roadster.The car must be register-able and insurable in the end (Goal number 2).

Am I crazy? maybe, but I look at this like I'm in an episode of the food network's "chopped". These are the ingredients I have now I have to make a tasty dish with them.

PostPosted: August 9, 2016, 6:02 pm 

A great start. Once you have the frame and drivetrain layout worked out, you can do pretty much anything you wnt body-wise. Good luck!

PostPosted: August 11, 2016, 8:43 am 

Thanks Nick for writing, I have been doing some research and found that many neo-classic car builders from the 70's would use MG Midget bodies dropped on a GM chassis. A hollowed out Midget or Sprite over a caged c3 frame might be a solution. A stretched Arkley SS type thing might look good. Numbers wise it is feasible. What do you think? Posting is completely new to me, it is a skill i hope to learn as I go along. I would like to thank all who have posted their builds and provided me with days of reading enjoyment.

Jim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 19, 2017, 9:41 am 

I bought a +4 nose and mocked up the top rails of the McSorley 442e. I was surprised of the fit, it is doable. I have to get it down to ride height for another look. I got a great deal on a 82 corvette tub. I was looking for a firewall and purchased the whole thing for less than $400 (delivered). It came with a salvage title which will help with the paper work later on. Since it's here, I am going slim the body of all it's unnecessary stuff, get it as narrow as possible while still using the original windshield post.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 20, 2017, 6:08 pm 

Very interesting. Who'd have thunk? Seems like you're on a good track. I'd be pretty quick to relocate that fuel tank to over the rear wheels though. One of the worst attributes of a 7esque is the fuel cell practically begging to be ruptured if you get rear ended (or even tag a bollard in a parking lot).