LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 16, 2018, 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 11:55 am 

Hi guys,

My Name is Tim.

I am new here, and i am looking to what steps are needed to get an insurance and VIN for a mid-engine locost. i am thinking on scraping a FWD fiesta and use it on the streets :wink: .

thanks a lot.

Tim,

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 1:15 pm 

Hey Guys,
Also i was looking if anyone used a locost or midlana etc for a daily driver. i drive alone from home to work and i also have a motorcycle for 14+ years now so open cabin is no issue :P

Tim

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 2:39 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

First, welcome.

Second... how on earth can anyone recommend anything when you don't mention your location? You really need to contact your local DMV and find out about registration since it's so regional. Insurance typically isn't an issue if you go though someplace like Hagerty.

Regarding daily-driving, that's entirely up to the driver!

Last edited by KB58 on March 19, 2018, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 2:49 pm 

I always thought a chrylser LH platform drivetrain would make a nice mid engine car. the 3.5HO had about 265 hp and the transaxle was pretty stubby. All sits on a single crossmemebr

edit. nevermind that, sounds like you want to use fiesta stuff.

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 3:52 pm 

Guys i am in early stages of thinking this through. i checked online as locost with RWD engine seems so cool but the days you could get a RWD everywhere are sadly gone and the new king seems to be FWD. i have the tools TIG welder, angle grinder, etc also i now how to fiberglass and use a lathe "not an expert but i learn fast" used to have a MIG 200AMPS too but i like the TIG better :). I live in NYC and i am new to US so that's why the stupid questions.

I had this thing for a long time in my head and i wanted to get a fuel wise funny sporty car that i could use for myself. and the issues were:

1. you get a small engine for economy 1.4~1.8 or 2.0L-> it goes with crappy build car that is like a tomb "Fiesta, and all other small cars" that apart from a small nimble engine, they have shitty body and plastic parts everywhere that in 5 year looks like hell. And everyone has a more then capable mobile phone that has the power of a very good PC of 2005 so no need for the added electronics that most of drivers don't use but are forced to get.

2. for safety i don't like the small cars unless they have a roller cage in case i get hit or i hit a tree or something. you can put a cage on them but then it will look a quick fix and will not be anymore a sporty nimble car "added weight with same stock engine"

3. the driving characteristics of small cars are not the best :) and we live only once "that i know of ;) " so no point in saving a lot of money for the other live.

4. after a while every engine fails or you want to change it and with stock cars it means you need to buy a new one and that is very expensive :) .

So now that i opened my heart and soul to you guys, please be gentle :P.

The biggest issue is if i can get whatever i will build "locost, midlana of any homebuild car" to move around on a daily routine.

i got a job i can spare $5K or so, and i already got the tools plus i have my brother to help out so i not alone. but what bugs me is that it looks like no one succeeded in doing a tubular chassis that can get used daily.

also i have an electronic engineering background so i can mess somehow with the electric/electronics of the cars.

If anyone has any thoughts that might help, please drop a line here :)

thanks a lot for you time.

Tim

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 11:27 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Tim, in Hawaii it's a no-brainer. In Alaska it'd be a problem so the question, once again, is where are you located?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 12:39 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

He said above NYC but didn't mention the garage situation.

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 1:18 am 

NYC? :ack:
Isn't that where a Checker Marathon with yellow paint and a big engine is considered a "Sports Car"?
I cannot imagine driving ANYTHING sporty in NYC daily.
I hope you are at least at the edge of the city so that you can more easily access some rural roads.