LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 11:55 am 

Hi guys,

My Name is Tim.

I am new here, and i am looking to what steps are needed to get an insurance and VIN for a mid-engine locost. i am thinking on scraping a FWD fiesta and use it on the streets :wink: .

thanks a lot.

Tim,

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 1:15 pm 

Hey Guys,
Also i was looking if anyone used a locost or midlana etc for a daily driver. i drive alone from home to work and i also have a motorcycle for 14+ years now so open cabin is no issue :P

Tim

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 2:39 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

First, welcome.

Second... how on earth can anyone recommend anything when you don't mention your location? You really need to contact your local DMV and find out about registration since it's so regional. Insurance typically isn't an issue if you go though someplace like Hagerty.

Regarding daily-driving, that's entirely up to the driver!

Last edited by KB58 on March 19, 2018, 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 2:49 pm 

I always thought a chrylser LH platform drivetrain would make a nice mid engine car. the 3.5HO had about 265 hp and the transaxle was pretty stubby. All sits on a single crossmemebr

edit. nevermind that, sounds like you want to use fiesta stuff.

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 3:52 pm 

Guys i am in early stages of thinking this through. i checked online as locost with RWD engine seems so cool but the days you could get a RWD everywhere are sadly gone and the new king seems to be FWD. i have the tools TIG welder, angle grinder, etc also i now how to fiberglass and use a lathe "not an expert but i learn fast" used to have a MIG 200AMPS too but i like the TIG better :). I live in NYC and i am new to US so that's why the stupid questions.

I had this thing for a long time in my head and i wanted to get a fuel wise funny sporty car that i could use for myself. and the issues were:

1. you get a small engine for economy 1.4~1.8 or 2.0L-> it goes with crappy build car that is like a tomb "Fiesta, and all other small cars" that apart from a small nimble engine, they have shitty body and plastic parts everywhere that in 5 year looks like hell. And everyone has a more then capable mobile phone that has the power of a very good PC of 2005 so no need for the added electronics that most of drivers don't use but are forced to get.

2. for safety i don't like the small cars unless they have a roller cage in case i get hit or i hit a tree or something. you can put a cage on them but then it will look a quick fix and will not be anymore a sporty nimble car "added weight with same stock engine"

3. the driving characteristics of small cars are not the best :) and we live only once "that i know of ;) " so no point in saving a lot of money for the other live.

4. after a while every engine fails or you want to change it and with stock cars it means you need to buy a new one and that is very expensive :) .

So now that i opened my heart and soul to you guys, please be gentle :P.

The biggest issue is if i can get whatever i will build "locost, midlana of any homebuild car" to move around on a daily routine.

i got a job i can spare $5K or so, and i already got the tools plus i have my brother to help out so i not alone. but what bugs me is that it looks like no one succeeded in doing a tubular chassis that can get used daily.

also i have an electronic engineering background so i can mess somehow with the electric/electronics of the cars.

If anyone has any thoughts that might help, please drop a line here :)

thanks a lot for you time.

Tim

PostPosted: March 19, 2018, 11:27 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Tim, in Hawaii it's a no-brainer. In Alaska it'd be a problem so the question, once again, is where are you located?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 12:39 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

He said above NYC but didn't mention the garage situation.

PostPosted: March 20, 2018, 1:18 am 

NYC? :ack:
Isn't that where a Checker Marathon with yellow paint and a big engine is considered a "Sports Car"?
I cannot imagine driving ANYTHING sporty in NYC daily.
I hope you are at least at the edge of the city so that you can more easily access some rural roads.

PostPosted: August 23, 2020, 2:23 pm 

Hi guys,

I am getting a house in PA, and i will finally have two garage spaces and plenty of backyard space. It`s been a rough 2 years since i last posted the question but i am persistent on my goal.

I really want to make one and very motivated but now i am split about midlana and locost7. i like the look of locost better.

I have a 5K~7K more budget.

I am not looking for a very fast car so i am looking for something in the 2L engines.

What engine/transmission should i be looking into? preferably i am looking for one engine that i can rebuild myself later on if necessary. I am in the process of getting a lathe and mill too to complete the garage.

=Tim

PostPosted: August 23, 2020, 5:07 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I'd say go with a Miata drivetrain for its availability, aftermarket support, and it's already front engine/rear drive.

Regarding looks, bear in mind that Locosts typically don't have a roll cage, while a cage is an integral part of the Midlana chassis. This leads to the next question: what are you going to use the car for once it's finished? If it's just for weekend drives, no cage is necessary, but if you have any idea about taking it out on track, it's a wise idea, if not a outright requirement by the track.

BTW, you keep saying that you want to use it as an everyday car; nearly all "specialty-built" car insurers specifically forbid that.

Anyway, we've come nearly full-circle, and are back to the original issue concerning road worthiness - contact your local DMV and find out about registration in your state. No point building a car if it can't get approved (and what the fine points are on making it legal).

PostPosted: August 23, 2020, 7:10 pm 

I checked the pa laws so far you get the title and registration and there where no limits on it. For the insurance I don’t know need to check more but I think there will be someone to offer liability protection so it can be driven on streets as I have seen them. For the cage I will want it. For everyday use I dream of having it as it will not be a boring car also I have a hd sportster 48. so it will definitely be more comfortable that the motorcycle for work.

On the safety side what is regarded as more secure locust 7 or midland?

=Tim

PostPosted: August 25, 2020, 6:56 pm 

Midlana would be safer with the integrated cage and stronger, higher up frame members.

I'd put a lot of thought into deciding what you really want out of the car, because when motivation wanes during the build it's good to have a real passion and desire for the vehicle you will end up with.

PostPosted: August 25, 2020, 9:04 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Disclaimer: I'm Midlana's designer, so a bit biased.

I would say that Midlana's safer simply because it's more enclosed and has an integral cage. That said, on the street, and without a helmet, it's harder to say. The same cage that keeps you from losing your head in a roll-over can pack one heck of an impact with your head if your belts aren't tight and the cage is too close. The book points this out, that the cage tubing needs to be away from your head.

Regardless which car you go, pay particular attention to the emissions laws and what happens when you transplant a drivetrain. Also, dig down and see how kit cars are registered, and more importantly, self-built cars. That last group can be a real oddball as far as the registration department is concerned. Like, are they going to ask you for the manufacturer (likely), but what will they do when you say "me." Check out what goes on in the sausage factory of registration now, because it would really be no fun to spend 5-10 yrs building something only to never be able to get it on the road.

PostPosted: August 25, 2020, 10:16 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Regardless which car you go, pay particular attention to the emissions laws and what happens when you transplant a drivetrain. Also, dig down and see how kit cars are registered, and more importantly, self-built cars. That last group can be a real oddball as far as the registration department is concerned. Like, are they going to ask you for the manufacturer (likely), but what will they do when you say "me." Check out what goes on in the sausage factory of registration now, because it would really be no fun to spend 5-10 yrs building something only to never be able to get it on the road.

Excellent advice, and the only reason I'm building my car on a genuine 1946 chassis; it makes registration here in Australia easy/possible.

PostPosted: August 26, 2020, 5:07 pm 

Hi Tim,

I fully understand your desire to build a car as daily-driver-able as possible. I built a Locost years ago and although it was fun to go on weekend drives in the summer, the open cockpit and tight seating made it not feasible to use as a daily driver. I realized that you get limited enjoyment out of a car that you can only use sporadically, and I ended up selling it. That is why I have started designing my own version of a Midlana type car, but with a greater emphasis on daily driving usability. Further details about this are on the "Design Guidelines" and "Optional Extras" pages on my website:

https://midixsportscar.wordpress.com/

Maybe this will give you a few ideas to think about.