LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 13, 2023, 1:02 am 

Welcome back! If you haven't already, have a look at Jon's build thread for inspiration:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1503

PostPosted: February 13, 2023, 6:52 pm 

mainlandboy wrote:
Welcome back! If you haven't already, have a look at Jon's build thread for inspiration:

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1503

Hi Bud, thanks for the kind words and link. I have actually been in touch with Jon before I joined here and saw his build, it's quite impressive. I am in the Caribbean now, where I would like to build the car but it seems like a challenge already getting Honda parts here. There are tons of Suzuki and Toyota vehicles here, where you can get motors and parts for easily but Hondas not as much. I have a Honda K20A 200HP motor, but I might have to rebuild it from what I was told.

I have loss my wife and one of my two daughters in Ottawa last June, typically I could have relied on her to make calls and arrange parts and shipping for me from Ottawa to Barbados. They were all car enthusiasts too and she was looking forward to this build and to drive the car too. My surviving daughter is a car enthusiast and at 16 years old was already driving a Toyota 6 speed manual, she is pushing me to start and continue the build.

It seems like I might have to get what's called a front cut, meaning the car cut at the front pillars with the motor, gearbox, ECU, wiring, front suspension etc., but that might cost a bit to get it here. I am seeing quite a bit of engines being sold in Toronto but when I call from here, they do not answer, maybe thinking it a spam or scam call seeing my Barbados number.

Anyways, thanks for the encouraging words and link.

Cheers.

PostPosted: February 15, 2023, 10:50 am 

Hi Guys, I have bought a multipurpose steel bending/forming machine. It only came with a set of dies which bends 1 inch solid steel rebars, but looking at it, I can modify it to bend up to 2.5 inch tubing with multiple passes. I will have to be careful not to overload nor stress the drive gears and shafts along with exceeding the leverage of the roller drive shafts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 15, 2023, 11:00 am 

I have looked up 2.5 inch roller dies, found and have called the company carrying them, they have replied. For anyone else seeking dies, here is what was sent "

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our products.

The maximum recommended wall thickness for the 2.5" Round Tube dies is .125". Our dies are designed to run on 20mm axles and have very slightly oversized axle bores. Each set includes one keyed die and two straight bore dies. The keyway in the drive die is broached for 6mm square key stock. The non-keyed dies have 12mm deep x 42mm wide bearing pockets on either side. The non-keyed dies are ~76mm wide, the keyed die is ~83mm wide and all three dies are ~100mm in total outside diameter.

Let me know if you have any other questions."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.