LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 5:41 pm 

I am in the preliminary design phase of an efficient, lightweight sports car. Initially my plans were to use a reproduction Lotus Europa backbone as a basis. Theoretically this would save a lot of suspension design and engineering work in addition to the minor head start of having a chassis from the get-go.

One problem is there seem to be few affordable transaxles available for a longitudinal mid-engined lay out. There seem to be few options between 50 year old beetle or increasingly rare and expensive 914 trannies, and the modern Porsche transaxles that cost more than the rest of the car combined (although I was recently reminded of the possibility of subaru parts).

This got me wondering- If I were able to fit a transverse drivetrain between the arms of a Europa backbone (a big if, but I know of at least one europa running a Smart Brabus drivetrain), would I still be able to get away with the stock Europa geometry, or would moving the CG a foot back and putting a greater percentage of the weight on the back axle necessitate a complete redesign?

I am moderately comfortable engineering and fabricating various components, but as much as I have tried studying the topic, suspension design still feels like dark magic to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 8:41 pm 

Audi. They have several transaxles - auto, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed, plate or fancy differentials, and the 016 is strong enough to hold a stout V8. Kennedy Engineered Products makes adapter plates for several engines.

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 9:25 pm 

I have a friend in Cincinnati using an Audi engine(not sure if 4 or 5 cylinder) and 5 speed in a Europa resto project...

Looks good to me!

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 10:24 pm 

Audi 5000 powered Europa. .. :thmbsup:

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 10:25 pm 
We are Slotus!

oldejack wrote:
Audi 5000 powered Europa. .. :thmbsup:

I was thinking the same thing... Sounds like a fun drive!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 5, 2011, 11:49 pm 

He has a few pics on Facebook, i'll see if he'd be willing to share some info...

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 1:36 am 
The voice of reason

We have some pictures on here in a thread showing a Passat transaxle. They seemed to be widely available and about $500. It's related to an Audi, but not sure where it fits in the scheme of things.

So that's several choices.

Personally, I think our space frame that are Seven or Locost are a better base. The Europa leaves you with no chassis between you and the outside world. The benefit was doors, but how much do you really need them?

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 10:44 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

No protection from the outside at all, above, below, the sides, front or back. That's a talk order for the shell to handle, and a lot of work.

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 1:59 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
We have some pictures on here in a thread showing a Passat transaxle. They seemed to be widely available and about $500.

Hmmm, I can buy the older Passat boxes in mass amounts here and cheap as chips ...

Good call too for an Audi 5 and trans, nice unusual sound, 2.2 (big hp Turbo as well) and respond to all the normal Golf tricks of the day. .

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 3:02 pm 

I think VW/Audi stopped using the longitudinally mounted front wheel drive layout in 87 or 88; not sure. Had a 79 Audi 100 that was absolutely amazing as far as traction went. Could have put a plow blade on the front and used it as a snow plow if I wanted.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 7:53 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Good call too for an Audi 5 and trans,

I remember the old ones were setup for inboard disk brakes, I wonder if they still do that...

PostPosted: August 6, 2011, 10:17 pm 

TRX- Thank you. I can't believe I forgot about that one. I am now reminded that in addition to the Audis, late 90's Passats have the longitudinal FWD drivetrain with a 1.8L turbo.

Horizenjeb & Kurt- The plan would also include some variation of a roll cage and a bit of reinforcement in the doors. Lightness is part of the goal but I am willing to trade a 50-100 pounds of weight for the ability to survive fender benders.

The design does unfortunately require doors (and a roof) which limits the existing tube frame options. I have been very intrigued with the Midlana and Graber but the idea of cutting down those side rails for entry access makes me uncomfortable.

PostPosted: August 7, 2011, 4:50 am 

Off Road SHO wrote:
I think VW/Audi stopped using the longitudinally mounted front wheel drive layout in 87 or 88; not sure.

Someone forgot to tell Audi apparently even until today.

PostPosted: August 9, 2011, 1:36 am 

Wump wrote:
I am in the preliminary design phase of an efficient, lightweight sports car. Initially my plans were to use a reproduction Lotus Europa backbone as a basis.

Where are you Wump ?
I have the real thing here.

PostPosted: August 12, 2011, 1:42 am 

Hi Warpspeed- I'm in Massachusetts which looks to be about as far away from Melbourne as one can be while still Earthbound.