LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8, 2008, 10:56 pm 

Thanks.
I got one of my hubs back from the machinist today so hopefully if I can get a kitchen pass for this weekend it may be a roller :D
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21, 2008, 7:48 pm 

Well as you can see STILL no rear hub :cry: The machinest told me the Toyota hub I had turned out to fit on my axle is cast and not safe to weld to the axle hub??? back up and punt I guess....

So I took the time to finish my side pods, mount the tanks, and get the engine mounted.
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:09 am 

Awesome project! Looks like the sportcycle, but much more integrated and unified. How did you come up with the design for the suspension arms and main framing?
That looks like it will be completely cool when you are done. There is some good info on the site www.reversetrike.com
BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:43 am 
Post a pic of the hub and describe what you are trying to achive, I may have an idea. And better still something laying around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 11:43 am 

Thanks, Great link BTW!! who would have thought that many of these were running around.
The design is my own as is the susp.
The hardest part to date has been the body design, I layed out the chassis with a design in mind but when I mocked it onto the chassis it just didnt look right :cry: so Ive been trying to come up with something different that will fit this frame.....not as easy as I thought :shock:
On the hub, Ive given it to another machine shop that is going to turn one out for me......still waiting.......is it done yet?....how about now?......now?....Its killing me but thanks for the offer!
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 4:04 pm 

One of the links on the reversetrike site under home built trikes is a swedish guy that made the body from block foam for a form and then hand laid the glass over it. It looked really good in my opinion, and seemed relatively easy in his photo diary of the project. The Swedish trike site is here: http://www.mride.se/Mride_t42home1.html
Check the pages for the body plug and the fender plug to see how he made the body panels.
BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 5, 2008, 4:23 pm 

yeah Ive seen that site....pretty cool!
Its not so much how to as much as a design issue......Im about as artistic as a coffee mug :cry:
BTW, I checked out the reversetrike.com site a bit more and after jumping through all the "yahoo group" hoops I couldnt find much? except for a dont bother us with the home built attitude.....Was I in the right place?
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 7:15 am 

pook,

I've had similar issues with the "reversetrike" yahoo group. They are focused on "production" trikes and not home builts. The moderator even went so far as to reject one of my posts with a link to this site because it is a "4-wheel" site. Pretty close minded if you ask me.

There is a couple other yahoo groups more home brew oriented, "rtdiy" and "vortex3wheeler". The diy site doesn't have much info, it's more of a spin off from the revesetrike site since there were so many people asking build questions. The vortex site has more info and there are some pretty crafty builders on there. I'm not a huge fan of the vortex but some of the builders websites are pretty informative.

I'm jealous of your progress by the way!! I'm having similar hub issues, I had someone quote me $2000+ to machine mine so I'm doing it myself (at a snails pace)

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 8:01 am 

yeah as soon as I logged in I was hit with 5 e-mails telling me why I couldnt talk about homebuilts :cry: They can keep it......
Whats with the machine shop cost now days? If I would have had more than 1 of these rear hubs to make I could have bought a used mill and lathe for less????!!!! I had to modify our brake lathe (temp) to machine my front hubs, we use to just run things like that to the machine shop and a day later and 100.00 and it was done.
:cry:
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 10:00 am 

That's pretty lame that they don't welcome people doing home built trikes over there. The indyccle and sportcycle links are some of the most interesting, and they are really home built items. Anyway, good luck on the bodywork and keep up the effort! There is one home built trike site link for someone who did a modified 2 seat sportcycle and is doing some bodywork on it using an F-14 canopy as part of the design. Probably more stream lined than you want, but it is interesting how he mocked up the body to decide on the design. The pics of the guy's bodywork are a few pages through from this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dick.kinche ... idenVoyage
BT

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 10:46 am 

thats pretty cooool!!!! where does one get an F-14 canopy :shock:
PooK

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 12:31 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

http://www.toddscanopies.com/

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6, 2008, 2:36 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Good find. And only about $300 apiece

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7, 2008, 11:50 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
http://www.toddscanopies.com/

I wrote to Todd. The car listed in his Custom Work category has a wiper so I got a little excited. Have seen the vehicle before but didn't find it in a quick search. Anyone have any info?

Hi Barry Hayes,

The Pulse Autocar pictured on my web site has a glass windshield which I did not make. I only form plastic.
I made the canopy. I use a high quality acrylic. The advantage to using this type of plastic is that it will look new for a long time with exposure to the sun and weather.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8, 2008, 6:58 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The acrylic is plexiglass. It is normally used for aircraft canopies. Some aircraft have a flat glass piece straight ahead married to a plexigass canopy.

One could make their own blow molded canopy at home with a little practice. Need a few electric space heaters and a trip to the home improvement store for other supplies.

http://www.autocycles.org/
I assume your interested in the windshield source.

http://www.autocycles.org/pulsepartslist.html

I wouldn't build one of these. Every corner means chirping an outrigger tire to get it up to speed.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next