LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently June 20, 2019, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: At-om frame dims???
PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 6:31 pm 

I am probably gonna get ny n*ts ripped out for this but can't help but be bemused with the At-om and being inspired by Proxy and the V8 creating busa-boys.

For once in my life I have the time and money and want to attempt a similar project just with a Mk2 GTI 16valve engine instead of the Honda unit (prefer torque to 125K rpm)

Has anyone any info on the bending radius for the main frame assembly of the At-om? I am trying to avoid hours of drawing the thing up .......

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2008, 7:42 pm 

I'm moving this to the Mid engine section.

Welcome to the site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3, 2008, 3:53 am 

well the bending radius is not a critical aspect of the LSC stile frame, I just went forth and picked 2 that looked good on CAD. well actually I kind of did it free-hand and then digitized it, came out to 1340mm on the tight side and 4490mm on the long side, with a 10º gradual change-over duration between the 2.

are you going to be notching your tubes by hand, or have it all designed in cad and Laser-cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 5:02 am 

Thanks for that. I kinda thought it was gonna come to doing it that way.......

I pondering over how to notch the tubes without making my life hell but cannot think of an easy way out. I suppose I might well have to do the whole design on inventor if I am to have it notched or other option is by hand i guess? Judging from your profile pic you have build the same?

Rgds

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4, 2008, 5:30 am 

I can highly recommend going the laser-cut route.... accuracy is everything in building such a complex frame, If I had not have the possibility of laser-cutting, I would have not been able to build my frames. With hind site now, it was the single most expensive exercise, with exception to the replacement parts for going billet in the engine , and it was also the cheapest, for doing it any other way would have rendered the hole car an abortion... and it being exoskeletal and all, you don't have a lot of body-panels to hide behind... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 10:47 am 
Locostering Legend

Farway,

Attached is a file of dimensions developed by Ken Langston and me by scaling from photos. I don't know if he has started an At-om clone yet. He was completing two Locost 7s.

If you are building one car, you can bend tubes manually to lines on a build table. Notching can also be done without the aid of digital computing. It's worked well for decades. Just takes more time.

Just say NO to your computer. Human intelligence yields lower-cost solutions while using common tools.

Attachments:
2007-03-11-14.jpg
2007-03-11-14.jpg [ 50.84 KiB | Viewed 11600 times ]
Atom Jig Dimensions1.zip [3.81 KiB]
Downloaded 1613 times
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 1:02 pm 

Thanks JonW.
I will sit this evning and try and make sence of it all (moaning wife!!)

You mention manual bending?? I am gonna guess you have sched 5 2" tube?? Did you heat the tubes on one side to create a natural pull or did you have it fixed down on one and and manualy work it? However you went about it, it looks exellent! My VERY remote location will probably dictate how I go about it but I am very keen and probably will try as far as possible do all in-house......I am puzzled by your bending technique...

Thanks again for the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 1:11 pm 

Could easily enough construct a 3-roller adjsutable jig I suppose??

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 1:30 pm 

Farway wrote:
Could easily enough construct a 3-roller adjsutable jig I suppose??

Look at his build log in the non-traditional build logs section. He has pictures of his bending fixture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 4:36 pm 

Excuse my ignorance but could you be a bit more specific?? There is a rather substantial amount of posts or am I missing something?... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 5:31 pm 

Farway wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but could you be a bit more specific?? There is a rather substantial amount of posts or am I missing something?... :roll:

Well I gave you the name of the forum you could find it in what more do you need? There's only one thread there by JonW. I assumed you could find it from there. I suppose it is asking a lot of you to wade through 4 pages of his build log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 6:39 pm 

Okay okay just keep your nickers on!! Found it, thanks. Based on such a complete log one realy need ask no more? Awesome effort, kinda sets a standard

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5, 2008, 6:55 pm 
Locostering Legend

In the dimension file, I compared the dimensions estimated by Langston to the ones determined by me. As I mentioned before, the dimensions were scaled from photos which downloaded from the internet. In the case of differing dimensions, I adjusted them to suit.

I still haven't seen an At-om in person and don't need to. I probably have 200 photos of them. (The At-om owners are very keen to show off their expensive toys.)

Download your own photos and make your own measurements. Just be aware of perspective when measuring in a different plane (into the paper) in the photos. Also, be careful since Brammo (US) Atoms have different wheelbase and track dimensions than English-built Atoms.

In the end, the frame needs to fit around the drivetrain and the nut behind the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12, 2008, 7:09 am 

I took a quick look at some At-om pics but didn't take any scaling measurments etc. I simply guessed my own dimensions and they were right first time (30 years to be an overnight wiz kid!).

Over 3 meters my inside of tube to ground clearances are 300mm and 250mm, top and middle tubes.

Hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12, 2008, 7:13 am 

I heard that the At-om was in one of the car video games around too, possibly can be put into a 3D viewer from that.

Just a thought.