LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 8:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

The $800 was for a custom set rated at 450 hp. I guess I assumed ones rated less than that would be more reasonable - maybe not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14, 2008, 9:14 pm 
KB58 wrote:
The $800 was for a custom set rated at 450 hp. I guess I assumed ones rated less than that would be more reasonable - maybe not.

Maybe. Bear in mind this was a very casual ballpark inquiry just to one vendor. What can the difference be between lower and higher rated one? I can't imagine it's much more than a bit more material....the design work will be minutes either way. I'm sure you will be able to meet that figure for the high rated ones and beat it a little for the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 12:32 am 

I saw prices of 300-500 for a set of custom driveshafts when I was pricing an h22 swap in my prelude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17, 2008, 1:04 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Were those custom length complete assemblies? I got mine for The Drive Shaft Shop and they seem to supply most of the axles to the Honda community. Oh well, if there's another place out there for half as much that's a good thing!

BTW, I changed the diary directory structure, so if anyone's wondering why their bookmark to my diary's not working, be sure to go in through the main site to find the new setup. It shouldn't change after today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 18, 2008, 1:31 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

There is a thread specifically for Midlana here: http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3740&highlight=kurt
I'd like to try to keep everything in that thread so questions aren't replied to multiple times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23, 2008, 3:10 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Were those custom length complete assemblies? I got mine for The Drive Shaft Shop and they seem to supply most of the axles to the Honda community.

I believe so, the h22 isn't anything close to native in the 1988-1991 prelude chassis. I'll do some digging, just to double check myself in a bit. I think it was gator axles or raxles.

Wasn't serious about the swap, so my research wasn't serious. The prices might have been lower because I believe a mishmash of oem pieces can be used, so they might have just been uprated axles and not actually custom.

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 9:45 pm 

Just a little update. I chose the K24a from a TSX and a 6sp trans. So far the build has been VERY easy thanks to great instructions

PostPosted: December 19, 2011, 12:17 am 

Just a little update. My car is no way as interesting as most on this forum but I though I would post some pictures anyway. I started in 2008 but had a lot of distraction. 65 Ranchero,1935 Jalopy, Meyers Toad, My son 4x4 and friends cars.
The car is nothing more than Kurt's Midlana his is almost done. Important part is I am having a great time.
Attachment:
P1010006 (2).JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 19, 2011, 2:59 am 
The voice of reason

Good news, Langdon. It will be nice to see those cars on the road soon!

:cheers:

PostPosted: December 19, 2011, 9:47 am 

Great stuff Langdon, come so far and I hope you make the distance.

And don't undervalue yourself, your car is extremely interesting.

PostPosted: December 20, 2011, 2:57 pm 

Great work there Langan, enjoying seeing the progress.

PostPosted: February 6, 2012, 10:21 pm 

A quick note on the VW engines. There are many many many different axle/upright combos that bolt to the VR6 (as well as the other transmissions). They used the same 6 bolt outlet flange design from 1975- the current models. Most axle lengths can be mixed and matched pretty easily. If someone would like,I can help figure out the proper combo of parts for the VR6. One thing to keep in mind is that the VR6 is much lighter than people think. It also has the advantage of being offset quite far forward from the axle centerline (this would probably make for a very well balanced car).

PostPosted: February 7, 2012, 1:29 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

slappynuts wrote:
...One thing to keep in mind is that the VR6 is much lighter than people think...

If that's true, you're the first to say so. Virtually every other source I can find say that it's exceptionally heavy, with "estimates" of around 350-400 just for the engine, plus another 100 or so for the tranaxle. But no one's yet shown a picture of a VR6 drivetrain on a scale.

PostPosted: February 7, 2012, 1:36 am 
Toyotaphobe

I like the VR6's compact size and it's unique exhaust note, but with all the electrical gremlins in the VWs it scares the heck out of me to even consider it's usage by me.

I'd like to see a true weight as well. All I've ever heard is how heavy they are, but I have no idea if "THEY" are correct about the weight.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 7, 2012, 9:56 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I like the VR6's compact size and it's unique exhaust note, but with all the electrical gremlins in the VWs it scares the heck out of me to even consider it's usage by me.

I'd like to see a true weight as well. All I've ever heard is how heavy they are, but I have no idea if "THEY" are correct about the weight.

The main difference is the position of the weight. The engine is very far forward in a FWD chassis. This is being compared to a 4cyl that is very far back in the FWD chassis. This is also being compared to one of the lightest cast iron 4cyl engines available. even then its ~ 50lbs difference from what I have seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next