LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 26, 2013, 11:50 am 

Well, i feel like i am really posting alot lately, but here goes another question for the forum.

I'm building a reverse trike, in michigan.

In michigan, a three wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle. The r1 i am using as a donor is ALSO titled as a motorcycle.

So, since many parts from the r1 will be used to build what the state considers a motorcycle, can i just use thee r1's title and drive with it that way, effectively stating that it's a modified motorcycle?

what if i still use part of or all of the frame, to which the r1 title attaches?

Ike

PostPosted: February 26, 2013, 1:15 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Well that's what I'd do, but that doesn't answer your legal question...

As far as making it easier to get through your DMV and insured, yeah it'll be about a million times easier.

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 1:51 pm 

Some states consider a motorcycle based three wheeler to be a 'motorcycle with sidecar'.

YMMV

bryan

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 3:51 pm 

Quote:
can i just use thee r1's title and drive with it that way, effectively stating that it's a modified motorcycle?

The days of registering a "modified" (my words) vehicle based on the donor's VIN are rapidly coming to an end. This process was commonly used in the past, for instance, for registering VW-based dune buggy's. Many states now prohibit this method by statute, if not practice. However, Michigan does provide you a legal and straightforward means of registering your "modified" trike as an assembled vehicle. Pick 1, 2 or 3 from the below. I think that you will find you fit into any one of these catagories.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585-25476--,00.html
Quote:
Some owners want to know how they can title and register an assembled vehicle. An assembled vehicle is:

1. One built (assembled) from new or used materials and parts by someone not recognized as a manufacturer (usually an individual). Example: homemade vehicle.
2. One altered or modified to the extent that it no longer reflects its original manufacturer configuration. Example: a Volkswagen made into a dune buggy.
3. One which has had its body replaced with that from another vehicle. Example: pickup truck has its cab replaced.
4. One assembled from a kit (often called "kit cars"), even if a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin is provided.

And here are the instructions for registering it:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BFS-72__09-03__83315_7.pdf

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 8:13 pm 

I'm having a problem with my JZR 3 wheel build. This is a kit car that I am the 3rd owner of. I have no Certificate of Origin. The Fl. inspector say i need to get one or I will have to call it "built from parts". I'm worried about getting insurance under that classification.
Any suggestions?
Fred V