LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: headlights
PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 6:41 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
It isn't critical on non structural parts. Critical parts are control arms, chassis, bolts, etc.

The chroming process, including how it is treated immediately after chroming, determines the extent of hydrogen embrittlement.

The stainless buckets are a no brainer unless you want to paint them.

If painting, cheapo chrome buckets are fine is given a light blasting to etch the surface for paint.

You might also consider a 5-3/4 motorcycle bucket or 36 dodge bucket for less drag

So, we are talking about the A-arms and link to the inboard coilover. He did say something about the nickel plating being less aggressive than the chrome -- perhaps that is what he was referring to. I'm a structural aerospace engineer, but this is materials stuff and we don't chrome much on aircraft so I confess to not knowing much about it.

THe B3 isn't particularly aerodynamic, and I kind of like the way the bigger lights work. I'll have to take a look at the Dodge buckets and see what those look like. If the stainless look pretty much chrome I think I can live with that. Does anyone know anything about those type of lights I posted? They look like they could be kind of interesting.

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 7:01 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Without chasing down those links, as long as they contain true headlights you should be okay. Some people sell compact "headlights" that are actually just utility spotlights in a housing, which are entirely wrong for street driving. They'll piss off other drivers, and not have a decent beam pattern to properly light the road.

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 7:27 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Without chasing down those links, as long as they contain true headlights you should be okay. Some people sell compact "headlights" that are actually just utility spotlights in a housing, which are entirely wrong for street driving. They'll piss off other drivers, and not have a decent beam pattern to properly light the road.

Actually Rayjays, which is the link you posted, also apparently carries them so it looks like they shouldn't be a problem. Looks like I need to poke around a bit. Thanks for the links!

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 8:50 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

kennyrayandersen wrote:
Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
It isn't critical on non structural parts. Critical parts are control arms, chassis, bolts, etc.

The chroming process, including how it is treated immediately after chroming, determines the extent of hydrogen embrittlement.

The stainless buckets are a no brainer unless you want to paint them.

If painting, cheapo chrome buckets are fine is given a light blasting to etch the surface for paint.

You might also consider a 5-3/4 motorcycle bucket or 36 dodge bucket for less drag

So, we are talking about the A-arms and link to the inboard coilover. He did say something about the nickel plating being less aggressive than the chrome -- perhaps that is what he was referring to. I'm a structural aerospace engineer, but this is materials stuff and we don't chrome much on aircraft so I confess to not knowing much about it.

THe B3 isn't particularly aerodynamic, and I kind of like the way the bigger lights work. I'll have to take a look at the Dodge buckets and see what those look like. If the stainless look pretty much chrome I think I can live with that. Does anyone know anything about those type of lights I posted? They look like they could be kind of interesting.

http://standards.sae.org/ams2759/9d/
If you do not have access to this, in a nut shell, baking at 300 F for a few hours immediately after plating is typical. I meet with a group of aerospace engineers (structural, propulsion, avionics) regularly to discuss various aircraft modifications.

A little big and expensive:
http://www.srpmstreetrods.com/render.cz ... SELL_COUNT

5-3/4 DOT legal lamp (should be embossed on lens):
http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/produc ... 4AodHnAAIA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 3:01 am 

I like the '36 bucket -- anyone got a pic of how it mounts? Right now I think the setup is similar to the King Bee/Dietz type with the bolt on the bottom...

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 2:44 pm 

1936 Dodge D2. scroll to the bottom of the link. Great looking headlights, but they might require some modification for locost.

http://cascadiaclassic.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 6:45 pm 

gregaustex wrote:
1936 Dodge D2. scroll to the bottom of the link. Great looking headlights, but they might require some modification for locost.

http://cascadiaclassic.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

Yeah, those do look super sweet but I agree - looks like it would require some extra work to get the mount righr on a 7-type mount whitch is similar to the Buckland.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 8:24 pm 

when i was going to install my headlights, i had some cheap hotrod lights, i made the mountings by welding 1-1/2" box to the side of my chassis, see pic 1
Attachment:
insurance application 002.jpg

note the mounting, it is straight, also note the distance to the front fender, this was with the wheels pointing in the straight ahead position.

having driven the car for about 100 miles i noticed a small mark on the top of the fender and another on the headlight rim, it was evident that under full lock and traversing a bump, the two were meeting.

to rectify this i tried moving the lamps up, after two inches i decieded that they would still hit, so i moved them in 1" they still were too close for comfort.

this is what i had to do to allow for clearence on full lock and full bump.
Attachment:
john camera 026.jpg

diferent angle but in essence i had to move them back so that the widest part of the light was at the fulcrum of the wheel turning circle, half an inch in either direction would result in a contact, i still am not convinced that they will never meet so i have placed a piece of soft felt at the contact point on the headlight just in case they will ever meet.

the moral of this story is 1, use the real lights that you will be fitting in the mock up stage, 2, test the clearence at full lock and full bump, 3, allow sufficient room for light direction focus adjustment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 9:10 pm 

re chrome vs. nickel, electroless nickel plating is used for wear surfaces so durability should be good