LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where Buy Tires
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 9:35 am 

I've decided on 6UL wheels for my locost, however it is proving to be a pain to find a 255/50r15 tire to fit on the 9" wide ones for the rear where would have these tires?

Post subject: try these guys.
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 9:48 am 

Brian,

I've always gotten GREAT deals from these guys. DiscountTireDirect.com

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

For my daily driver, I got four Enkei Wheels with four brand new tires ( Ziex 521's) mounted on them shipped to my door step complete with locking lug nuts for $410 ! They had a special, buy 4 wheels, get $100 off the order, buy 4 tires, get $100 off the order. Also if you buy wheels and tires, they'll mount and balance the tires on the wheels for free. The computer let me combine these two offers at check out, in addition to the free shipping ! Since it was an online deal, NO SALES TAX !

I simply bolted the wheels on when they showed up. It's one of my best finds ever !

Indy 'I wheeled & dealed' Joe.

Post subject: Re: Where Buy Tires
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 10:46 am 

BrianG701 wrote:
I've decided on 6UL wheels for my locost, however it is proving to be a pain to find a 255/50r15 tire to fit on the 9" wide ones for the rear where would have these tires?

Is there a reason you have to go with such an oddball size? Seems like you will always have a hard time finding that size.

Post subject: Re: try these guys.
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 10:47 am 

IndyJoe wrote:
Brian,

I've always gotten GREAT deals from these guys. DiscountTireDirect.com

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

For my daily driver, I got four Enkei Wheels with four brand new tires ( Ziex 521's) mounted on them shipped to my door step complete with locking lug nuts for $410 ! They had a special, buy 4 wheels, get $100 off the order, buy 4 tires, get $100 off the order. Also if you buy wheels and tires, they'll mount and balance the tires on the wheels for free. The computer let me combine these two offers at check out, in addition to the free shipping ! Since it was an online deal, NO SALES TAX !

I simply bolted the wheels on when they showed up. It's one of my best finds ever !

Indy 'I wheeled & dealed' Joe.

That was a good deal. I ordered a set of snowtires and steelies for my g/f's car for $180 total! Wish they would run it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 12:39 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You may already some or all of the following, but I will say it anyway.

There are several widths and aspect ratios for a given size.

Reccomended rim width range for a specific size is not the same from one mfg to another because tire construction varies.

Using a rim that is the maximum mfg recomended width for the tire size makes it more difficult for the mech to mount and for the owner to keep the beads seated.

The bigger the tire is for a given curb weight, the lower the operating pressure will need to be. Lower pressures do not help bead seating.

If you are set on 9" rims, go to tirerack or discount tire and find their mfg links. Each mfg will have a single page chart for each tire model listing all the sizes and the reccomended rim widths. Try to find a tire that is reccomended for up to a 9.5" rim, then search tirerack for that size. Check the mfg chart for the reccomended widths on the tire before buying.

Here is BFG's chart on a Radial TA:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs/radial-t-a/12.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 11:02 pm 

I've just been having a hard time finding some that are the right sizes and the correct profile and compound for my car

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12, 2008, 3:59 pm 

I found some, they're Avon CR500 245/40R15's the only down side is that there is a long lead time if you can't find some here in the states. I found two in Cali this morning :D, unfortuneately they are $250 each :shock: ,def not locost but worth it. The tires are designed for the Caterham CSR so they should be perfect for the locost :D