LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 27, 2024, 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: October 9, 2010, 2:26 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
sonic7 wrote:
To think that soon, after 3 years of owning, driving and I hope improving my Sonic7 I'll be selling it to build an Exocet :shock:
Now that is interesting. Nigel, would you please take the time to tell us why you're doing this? What are the virtues of the Exocet that drew you to your decision?

Still, I'd personally rather have a Sonic, so I'm very curious to hear what Nigel has to say.

I suppose I better respond to your question John. Stuart is right, I do enjoy the build and especially the development, I suppose truthfully I’d like to be in the industry, but then it wouldn’t necessarily be fun anymore.

I love the Sonic7 and would recommend it to anyone, so long as your not shy ! It’s a car that without doubt gets more attention in the car park than an Aston, Ferrari, Lambo etc, possibly because its so unusual. The problem is I’ve been there now and done that, I might keep it, who knows.

The Mrs has a series 3 MR2 that’s now ripe for me to play with ? Maybe a 355 who knows, I might just sell it and buy her an MX5 the possibilities are endless.

Some of the fellow ‘Moggers’ (MEV Owners) are on about doing 'Le Mans' next year ! I’d like to do that, Me in the Sonic and the Mrs in an Exocet who knows.

I’m digressing, as far as why an Exocet, Jack, well I like the simplicity and balance of the car. Being one of very few people so far to have driven MEV’s demonstrator in anger on a track puts me in a very privileged position of knowledge. Apart from all that, I enjoy the banter of doing business with MEV, and the camaraderie that comes with it.

Not wishing to just repeat Stuarts words, but this must rank among one of the most enjoyable threads I’ve had the privilege in been involved in in ages.

nigel :cheers:

If you really are interested in MEV, from an owners point of view, then check out the Owners Website/Forum www.mevowners.co.uk (which unlike many car forums is run by owners, for the benefit of its owners, with the full support and backing of both the designer / manufacture and its agents)

Last edited by sonic7 on October 9, 2010, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 9, 2010, 4:49 pm 

Well said, kreb. I agree with all your points, though I do think the Stalker has good marketing at present. You can't research Se7ens in the US without running into Stalker references, it has a solid competition record, it has a large and eloquent user base, and it's the only Lotus7-like car you see in Grassroots Motorsports. At this point, I don't think additional marketing would do the Stalker any good, because it already has the market.

The Exocet's lack of a peer is a double edged sword: all the good things you said, tempered by not having anything to use as a market comparison. So it's more risk than planning for an established, predictable market, but offers the possibility of higher rewards. I think with a serious marketing push going in, the Exocet could dominate its market niche so decisively that nobody else would enter it.

One other thing...
kreb wrote:
I could go on, except I don't want to talk myself into "going for it".
No, no, don't do that! I just sent Stuart a proposal for US manufacturing under license, I don't want to have to bid against you!

Seriously, folks, if you want to be the US Exocet licensee, now is the time to tell Stuart what you've got.

And thank you for the explanation, Nigel, that all makes sense to me. As regards...
Sonic7 wrote:
I suppose truthfully I’d like to be in the industry, but then it wouldn’t necessarily be fun anymore.
...I know exactly what you're talking about.

Not many of you know this, but I worked my way through college by playing piano in a house of ill repute. 8PM to 2AM, six days a week, I loved it at first, but then it was the same thing over and over again; the novelty wore off, I got bored, then I got downright tired of it, then I got just plain sick of it. Even today, and it's been almost 40 years since then, I have no real interest in piano music.

Thank you, thank you, I made up that joke all by myself.

PostPosted: October 9, 2010, 5:00 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
I just sent Stuart a proposal for US manufacturing under license

:yay: :cheers: I hope things work out!

Exploring every single option, permutation, and possibility, to figure out what flavour of awesome I want.

PostPosted: October 9, 2010, 7:25 pm 

I honestly don't know of a better person to reprsent MEV here in the USA and North America. Good luck with the proposal Jack.

OK some others here are also deserving but you seem to be the front runner on this forum and can probably do more for MEV than most of us could.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 10, 2010, 7:41 pm 

nether10 wrote:

Can you confirm that there are Exocet, Rocket, and Sonic 7 kits Stateside already? If there are, please let them know of our humble board here so they can share!

Didn't read whole thread, but....

I have a rocket.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6705

There is another I know of in Texas that is on the road. I know of three sonic kits shipped here, not sure if they are on the road yet.

PostPosted: October 10, 2010, 9:25 pm 

golftdibrad wrote:
I have a rocket. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6705

Ah, excellent! I will be devouring that thread shortly. Thanks!

Exploring every single option, permutation, and possibility, to figure out what flavour of awesome I want.

PostPosted: October 11, 2010, 4:09 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
...but isn't there a guy here on LocostUSA with a build log for his A t o m-looking both-subframes Miata?.
I'll bet quoting myself is a violation of netiquette, but yes, there is. I should have found him ages ago; I'm a moderator for his build log, after all. It's our member Exige, and his build log (aptly named "My Tube Frame Miata Subframes build.") is at...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8332

Exige started his build log on January 24 and posted a youtube video of his first shakedown drive on June 26--a remarkably quick and skillful effort for a guy working weekends and evenings, and doubly so for a guy working out of a 20' shipping container behind his apartment in Okinawa.
JackMcCornack wrote:
Maybe he'd like to talk about licensing.
No, I'm not going to talk with Exige about licensing. I wrote that in reaction to Stuart's "if someone wishes to copy my concept" statement. It's not exactly a fresh concept, and Stuart claiming ownership of it rubbed me the wrong way. What Stuart does have is that concept developed into a manufacturable and salable product, market tested in Europe and capable of US production in a matter of months. Exige's car is a brilliant one-off, but it was not designed with production in mind and would be prohibitively expensive to mass produce.

So it's Exocet or nothing for me, but I can still appreciate Exige's design and workmanship. As far as concept goes, I think it's a case of great minds think alike--I don't know how long ago Stuart first presented the Exocet to the public, but if it wasn't some time last year, and if Stuart wasn't surfing LocostUSA in January, then the similarity between the two vehicles is coincidental. There's truth to Charles Fort's concept of steam-engine-time; it happened with steam engines, it happened with airplanes, and now it's time for exocars on Miata drive trains.

But the Exocet is the only one that's ready for prime time, ready enough that it could hit the US kit car market by New Year's Eve if all parties were up to it. If Stuart and I can't come to an agreement, I would encourage someone better equipped for the job (someone with more money, or with stronger manufacturing credentials, or with a better reputation in the US do-it-yourself car business, or who hasn't insulted Stuart as relentlessly and eloquently as Yours Truly) take a look at this opportunity. Because given a suitable licensing agreement, I believe a US-made Exocet can be a money maker for both parties.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 13, 2010, 4:13 pm 

I’ve noticed this most engaging thread has gone a little quiet of late, so I therefore must assume that either Staurt and Jack are in the depths of negotiation, or that they have reached an impass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the weekend while attending to my manly chores of cutting the grass, I pondered, by trying to put myself in their shoes, and decide weather or not it was just to early in the evolution of the Exocet product to expect somebody half way around the world to commit to such sums of money.

Personally, I like to gain a detailed appreciation of both the product and person that I am intending to invest in, before I take the risk of wasting time and money. (This view inevitably goes both ways)

It was with this in mind that I thought that there might be a ‘step’ that might make the transition easer.

While I personally think that the world market, during a recession, is somewhat ripe for a low-cost style product, personally I would like to gain some first hand experience of building/driving and owning one before making any further business and financial commitment. During the process I would also hope to gain a far greater appreciation for the designer/supplier and there all important views on customer support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ll cut to the chase.

I’d like to see MEV make available a limited quantity, of say 8~10 kits or say a months supply of Exocets kits to the North American (NA) Market. (Maybe MEV could allocate a single months product of Exocets).

If MEV were to do this it would provide our NA licence enthusiasts the opportunity to get their hands on a kit and thus gain first hand knowledge of the product and allow for that all important relationship of mutual trust and respect to be formed. Prior to the formalisation of a long lasting and fruitful licence build agreement.

The 8~10 Customers could be both personal build fanatics like myself or potential partners for MEV. For fanatics like me it would be an opportunity to get my hands on something no one else has got and for individuals like Jack it would be a great way of getting a true appreciation of both the product and what to expect from MEV for a relative low risk layout. At worst you could get your kit outlay back by selling the finished product, if you didn’t decided to go any further.

In order to help reduce costs these, say, 10 kits could be shipped together in one package (containerised) thus drastically reducing the shipping cost, they could be delivered to an agreed central customer location for owner collection.

Yes there’s the risk for MEV, that someone over in the States could copy the design, but in this relatively small community, I’d be the first in line to slate them on the World Wide Web for doing so.

But for MEV also, it would very quickly sort the men form the boys, MEV would very quickly get to see who has the true skills and commitment to carry the MEV brand to the NA masses.

(I mean I thought I was taking on a challenge in planning on building an Exocet in 30days, now Stuarts pushing me into building one in a weekend with some fellow ‘Moggers’ at next years Stoneleigh car show ! See http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... thread=753 )

Just an idea, for you to comment on.

nigel

PostPosted: October 13, 2010, 4:54 pm 

Sort of a "group buy" for Exocets, huh? Well I'd be interested in participating in this, or alternately, simply buying one from Jack. The funky roll-bar has to go, but that's easily fixed with something serious like this:
or

PostPosted: October 13, 2010, 7:56 pm 

sonic7 wrote:
I’d like to see MEV make available a limited quantity, of say 8~10 kits or say a months supply of Exocets kits to the North American (NA) Market.

If I recall correctly, Stuart has confirmed that there are already a few Exocets on American soil. It would be a crapload cheaper (and could be a lot quicker) for all involved for any prospective US MEV manufacturer to simply go on a trip to take a look at one of these kits, assuming the owners can be found and convinced to allow someone to view their kit (and drive it, if it's complete).

Quote:
In order to help reduce costs these, say, 10 kits could be shipped together in one package (containerised) thus drastically reducing the shipping cost, they could be delivered to an agreed central customer location for owner collection.

I'd suggested the same to Stuart, and even went further saying that such a container could have not just Exocets but maybe also a Rocket and Sonic or two as well.

That might actually be a really good idea, in that seeing how long it takes to have takers for each kit that can fit in a container will give an early indicator for how much demand there would be for these kits. Stuart offers the group buy option for American buyers, starts the clock, and sees how long it takes for the shipment to be fully spoken for. If it's shorter than the time it'll take for him to fill such an order, awesome. If it's longer, that might indicate that the market is a bit soft... but then again, one might expect that for a vehicle nobody's seen in the flesh.

I too am hoping that Stuart and Jack are dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 2:07 am 

sonic7 wrote:
I’ve noticed this most engaging thread has gone a little quiet of late, so I therefore must assume that either Staurt and Jack are in the depths of negotiation, or that they have reached an impass.
Nigel, you have interesting observations and interesting ideas. I don't think we've reached an impasse as such, but it's iffy enough that I don't want to stand in the way of anyone who is ready to meet Stuart's terms.

Terms which, BTW, have improved hugely from the initial $40,000 down plus 7.5% royalty of his original proposal, which Stuart described on p.4 of this thread as...

> Gosh it sounds a very attractive deal to me!
> I wish someone had offered this deal to me instead!

...which left me thinking, "My goodness, Stuart is a talented designer and developer, but as a businessman he is a major loon," an opinion which I have since revised.

His terms are now (as described on p.6 of this thread)...

> perhaps the royalty payment should be $100 per unit and the licence fee reduced to $15000
> inc a shipped sample LHD kit to take a jig from and I will include moulds for the grp.

...which I consider reasonable, and well worth looking into if one had an extra ten grand to toss out there to prove one's sincerity/dedication/manhood. Including shipping there's $5000 worth of real stuff in that offer, plus the royalty payment is dropped to only slightly over 3% and since he wanted an amount rather than a percentage, a small kit price increase drops that royalty to 2-1/2%, which is workable from a 15% manufacturer's profit margin.

However, I can't do it. I don't have an extra ten grand for that, and having been on both sides of royalty agreements, I favor arrangements where all parties gain if it works, and no parties gain if it doesn't. And since Stuart wrote...

> Nothing to stop someone interested and capable making an offer.

...and since his second proposal, though beyond my abilities, was rational, I made him an offer.

I spelled out exactly what I had to put into a US Exocet project ($20,000 and a business year) and how I would like us to invest that money (in brief, I laid out a $10,000 marketing plan that I think would provide big impact for the investment, and get the business going with a bang). I offered Stuart...

> I'll give you your choice of $100 per Exocet kit or
> 2-1/2% of gross Exocet sales (not including whatever it costs me to make the
> Exocet meet US market specs) as a royalty for the design and the name. I'll
> buy a UK Exocet kit at retail and pay the cost of getting it here (including
> the cost of you crating it) <snip> Your costs will be covered and you'll start
> profiting from my first sale, but there will be no up-front fee.

...plus I'd pay to implement the marketing plan I'd proposed, and I've explained why I felt that proposal would offer him a better payoff than giving him all the marketing money up front and dribbling the Exocet into the US market on word-of-mouth.

He said no, he won't accept anything less than $15,000 up front, so okay, there it is. The Exocet license isn't valuable to me unless I have money left for marketing it here, so while we're not at an impasse, we clearly need additional funding. Today he sent me a message telling me to get on with it, so I'm going public with a funding request:

Would anyone out there care to invest $10,000 in Stuart's up-front licensing fee? I have all the tools and all the suppliers we need to be manufacturing Exocets in the US within two weeks of receiving the drawings and CAD files for the chassis, and the fiberglass molds for the body parts. My fiberglass suppliers stand at the ready, my preferred welding vendor ditto, I have a backup welding shop if there's a problem with my first choice, and yesterday I got favorable quotes from 4 to 20 pieces of the main tubes rolled to a radius between 9' and 12' (which I think covers what the Exocet uses, though I haven't seen the drawings) with a three day delivery. We're good to go, I'm prepared to put up $20,000, I have the facilities leased, and I'll share my marketing plan (off list) and other details of my business plan with any potential investor who is curious. I think the profit potential is good, but I'm not ready to mortgage my house for it and I don't think you should either. I'm risking $20,000, Stuart is risking the difference between $10,000 plus 2-1/2% of gross, vs. what he'll earn if he doesn't have me as a licensee, and that's all either of us is willing to risk on US-made Exocets.

I've proposed this to a couple of friends, and since their continued friendship is worth more than $10,000 to me, I've told them what I see as the unique risks in this offer (as opposed to the usual risks under the general heading of "sometimes businesses don't make money"). And since my continued acceptance on this forum depends on me not being part of a con, I'll tell y'all what I told them:

--Stuart may know something he isn't telling. For some reason he finds $10,000 in pocket now as more appealing than kick-starting the US business with $10,000 of seed money. He hasn't suggested any alternative promotions or marketing, and all I can assume is he doesn't see significant value in hitting the US market with ten grand worth of guns a'blazin'. Admittedly I know more about the US/NA market that Stuart does, but he knows more about his product and the support he will provide than I do. One of us is wrong and it might be me; this market may not be worth pursuing. He wants (and indeed says he deserves) to profit even if the US market is 10 kits a year, but where does that leave you and me?

--The necessary support may not be there. I suspect the chassis drawings may not exist. As best I can tell, the build manual is 64 words sandwiched between a paragraph on how to strip a Miata, and the line "THEN HAVE MASSIVE FUN". I'm getting the feeling there will be massive work to do before the Exocet meets the expectations of American buyers seeking "THE EASIEST KIT CAR IN THE WORLD TO BUILD".

--The development implied by "I have spent a small fortune developing the Exocet" and "Don't expect to get a fully developed and tested product that folk like to drive and look at though for less than $100,000" (p.3) may not be what we think. I don't know what he considers a small fortune (which is what he spent) and he may feel that what would take you and me $100,000, he can do with his genius and 1500 quid. A potential investor asked me about the Exocet's front /rear weight bias, I couldn't tell him and Stuart can't tell me. I've been asking Stuart since day one, what test data do we get for our ten grand licensing fee, and it's been pretty quiet. I will say though, if I were offering a production sports car kit, fully developed and tested to the level I'd expect with my skills and $100,000, I'd know which end was the heavy end.

But then, there are unusual opportunities in this offer too.

--Stuart is a brilliant designer, and I'm not the only person who thinks so. The MEV Owners' Group is filled with praise and though I haven't read any of it but quotes snipped from stories, apparently the UK kit car mags are just gaga over Stuart, MEV, and the Exocet. Us mere mortals may indeed be unable to achieve what Stuart can achieve, and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

--I've read the MEV Owners forum from cover from beginning to end, and have never read even a whisper of a dissatisfied MEV customer. Even if Stuart is paid up front, based on his reputation I'd expect him to follow through with the agreement.

--He says he's flexible and open to offers. Maybe he's being particularly hard on me because either A) he hasn't researched my record/reputation/capabilities, or B) he has, and didn't like what he found. He may be more flexible with you, and it might be better to have you be who deals with him, and I'll step back and concentrate on the manufacturing part.

And here's one I just learned from him today:

--Stuart is working on an (and I have chosen this word with great care) incredible profit margin. A margin unheard of in my long experience as a manufacturer and a designer, as a licensee and a licensor. A profit margin that would make a crack dealer blush. I haven't a clue how he's doing it, but if his techniques are transferable to the US economic environment, you and I are going to make a bundle as his Exocet licensee.

If you'd like to go in with me on this, let me know off list. If you'd like to go in this by yourself, let Stuart know off list. I don't know what his deadline is for me yet but there's no reason for you to wait for it, anyone who wishes is free to approach him directly. If partnership with me won't work for you, or you simply feel you'd be better off doing this yourself, don't let me stand in your way.

Nigel, the idea of...

> building/driving and owning one before making any further business and financial commitment

...does not appeal to me because, to me, the whole point of licensing the Exocet is that it's ready now and could be in production here by the end of this year. I think that's important to get the jump on the spring and summer markets. That's what makes it worth paying a licensing fee, that's what makes it worth paying retail for a sample Exocet, that's what makes the Exocet more valuable than what Stuart suggested as "have a go with your mates and spend say $20k building a prototype". I think I've got skilled and talented "mates" on this forum but we sure can't have a clean-slate kit ready for production by Christmas. I like Chris's car better, and if I made my own I expect I'd like it better still, but Stuart's car is ready for production right now.

So I don't think we're at an impasse. Stuart has made his position clear, and for me to meet his terms, and still have enough left over to pursue the US market, I need a partner. And I'm not looking for a silent partner; I'm looking for a partner with some business sense, who can review Stuart's proposal and determine if it's worth our investment.

And Nigel, if you're right that...

> I’d like to see MEV make available a limited quantity, of say 8~10 kits or say a months supply of Exocets kits to the North American (NA) Market.

...the NA market already wants 8~10 Exocets a month, then maybe we don't need marketing at all.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 10:48 am 

Wow, that's an intriguing proposition. For 10 large someone can tell their friends that they own a big slice of a car company. I can just see the groupies saying, "ooh, is it Tesla?", too which the debonair Locoster replies "No baby, it's something MUCH more exciting. I'll tell you more after we look at my etchings...." :lol:

But seriously, I appreciate the lack of subterfuge here, that all this is going on in the open. To that end, I'll voice a few thoughts:

-I'm kind of surprised that Flying Miata or another one of the Miata shops isn't in on this. Perhaps they don't want to undermine their own Westfield franchise. But still.....

-It's such a compelling concept, I wonder if there isn't another player or two working on competing versions.

-There's ample room to grow from this: You could make versions to put other motors in it. You could play with the aesthetics. You could probably do a strong turn-key business - If the kit costs Jack (or whomever) $3k to build. An experienced builder could put one together in a week, Miata crate motors are cheap, it doesn't take much math skills to realize that if you were selling complete cars for $15K, you could make some very attractive profits.

-OTOH, there's always the scenario that you put in the $10K, sales are slow, and six months later you’re talking about dumping another $10K into advertising, and on it goes. Then there’s insurance…No risk, no reward I guess.

-How does Stuart make those huge profit margins? That’s hard to envision. I suppose if you were to set up shop in some place like rural Oregon where folks work for cheap, :wink: but in Urban areas, it’s harder to see.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 11:03 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

kreb wrote:
... How does Stuart make those huge profit margins? That’s hard to envision...

That's what I'm wondering. I'm in SoCal, some companies here manufacture in Mexico... Other companies have stuff done in China. Short of that, I'm very curious what this miracle manufacturing formula might be.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 11:32 am 

I think his large profit margins come from simple jigging that makes assembly quick due to volume, and the actual metal materials aren't that much. Most of his cost per chassis will be labor welding it together than materials I would think.

PostPosted: October 14, 2010, 11:50 am 

The profit margins also have to do with volume. If you can have pieces made in quantity, it beats the heck out of onesey, twosey.

I'd think that one of the trickier parts of being a kit car manufacturer would be managing communications - The endless inquires, the whining customers, getting together documentation that hopfully lessens the first two things....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next