LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 28, 2010, 7:52 pm 

Quick question.

I have order my MK kit from the UK, expecting it to be ready in about 2 weeks.

Trying to get a better shipping quote.

Can anyone use a freight carrier from the UK?

-- Push the pedal on the right, the one in the middle is for wussies ---
- Link to build blog- http://BluLi7ard.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: December 29, 2010, 3:03 pm 

You might try posting this on the usa7s forum... Quite a few members there have dealt with shipping parts & possibly bigger crates too.

PostPosted: December 29, 2010, 5:57 pm 

You might take a look at dhl international freight... supposedly, we're fairly competitive...

PostPosted: April 15, 2012, 8:59 am 

I just realized I never cam back to update. So here goes.

My Kit from MK came in perfect shape

I have researched a number of shippers. Costs ranged from 3200 to 1600. The only catch is you have to ship the kit as a company, for some reason many of these shippers will not do personal effects. So if you have a friend who will allow you to use his company info, then you are in luck. If not, some of the shippers will close one eye and break their own rules to provide you the service.

So the finally shipping cost was 2160. That's everything: Picking up the box, Freight, Taxes, Docking fees, trucking from dock to distribution center.

I finally used R+L Global (http://rlglobal.com/), very very very, good service. They took care of every single thing. I have sent them a quote from another vendor, and they matched it. Again, I could not ask for anything more. They made sure I understood all the steps, all the costs except for taxes which would not be known till they got the bill at the docks, they provided the exact service I asked for and on time and within budget. They would even hand delivery the box your home, but not unload the truck for 375. This is where the company verse personal effects are different. Best thing is to rent a truck yourself and have some friends help you.

I eventually picked up the box myself because the truck would not be able to drop the box in my garage, a lift gate and dolly will just not work, the box is 10 X 4 X 4, just too long. I actually picked it up alone and got it out of the truck alone. The uHaul cost was about 200 bucks, the round trip to the distribution center was not close to my home, but not that far either.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to ship. If you need any other pointers, just send me a message.

PostPosted: March 6, 2014, 12:29 pm 

how did you describe the shipment contents for the sake of issues with import and import duty?

thanks

PostPosted: March 14, 2014, 2:30 pm 

I did not, the shipper did. Looking at the shipping documents, I see

- Automotive Body Parts and accessory
- Each of the Additional Donor Car Parts were also listed.

PostPosted: April 5, 2015, 8:45 pm 

I know this is an older post, but I hate digging through a bunch of posts trying to find similar info so I will post my experience here. You got a SPANKING deal on the shipping. I think between having the box built, hauling to the port, shipping, customs, taxes etc, I was into my Buckland B3 for a bit more than $5 grand! No one ever offered a business deal, though it is probably something I should have checked out. The only way much of this shipping makes any sense is if the company ships several cars at once and then the shipping gets spread over several cars.

Previously, I did a roll-on roll-off of a FIAT 500 and total was about $2500. This is about the cheapest way to ship any vehicle anywhere. I figured a box wouldn't be that much more, but I was really wrong! In the end, you have to pay to have a box built, and it has to be built from approved exportable lumber. Then you have to have that hauled to the port. You have to pay for the export paperwork, the shiping broker, the shipping across the ocean, the port fees, the import broker fees, the unloading fees, and then you likely have to have it shipped to your house. I saved $750 bucks just driving from Ft. Worth to Houston to pick the box up! If I would have known how much it cost to ship a single kit in a box, I probably wouldn't have done it.

From time to time I've seen MK Indy's, Furys etc. for sale and that's how they were done -- a container at a time!

PostPosted: April 6, 2015, 5:28 am 

I have been involved with this a bit over the years with containers both ways. By far the cheapest way is buy a container which they call " shippers own " , this will need to be inspected and have all the serial numbers and makers plates on, this inspection is only a few $ and its basically to make sure the floor wont fall out of it when picked up or collapse when another twenty get put on top. This works out at about $2000 dock to dock for a twenty foot container which is good for about 18 tons ( nobody checks this because the last one I did was full of engines and went way over that) you need to get this dropped off and collected yourself. The other way with a container is by freight consolidators whereby you basically rent a bit of space in the consolidators container, there are plenty of these companies and if you shop about you will get a decent deal. they are not interested in collecting or delivering anything so they only deal with the bit across the water but they will do all the import/export paperwork .Its a lot cheaper if you can get the crate to and collect from the docks but there will be time constraints regarding the loading and collection, with this you just crate the things up you want transported and they charge by the cubic meter , they ask what the weight is but its more to do with space. All they require from you is the weight, size of crate and infantry of the contents with the insured value. They will fumigate the container and contents to ensure it meets the destinations pest control requirements .There are also plenty of folk that pay for a whole container thats only part filled that would be grateful of the chance to share the costs with another . The good thing about shippers own is you get to load/unload it at your leisure and no one gets to touch the contents .Other than that its with the parcel delivery boys = expensive and overly complicated .

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave