LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27, 2012, 8:38 pm 

I stopped by the Brunton shop today and was offered a chance to take an Mspec for a ride. Wow, what a ride, I have the original Classic Stalker Supercharged version and the diffence was pretty apparent.. beyond the obvious increase in power from the Mspec L33 V8. It really is the next generation.

We ran through some pretty crappy streets in St. Pete and the rough roads, manhole covers and brick road areas were handled vey well by the IRS. While the live axle I have works very well, the IRS really made quite a noticable difference.

The steering is extremely precise with good feedback and the power brakes were pretty amazing, I am going to add that feature to our Stalker. I wouldnt have believed that power brakes would be that much of a difference on such a light car, but it was. We took it out to Highway 275, on the entrance ramp I tested the skinny peddle and was at triple digits very quickly... yes, I slowed to 65 before entering.

The thing that really struck me cruising at speed was the huge reduction in buffeting. I could easily carry on a conversation while at speed. The car is really a big step up in refinement while leaving the ability to have the 'hanging on the edge' feeling when you want it. I want one.

Hopefully I will get a chance to test it again at an autocross in October..... I'll be gunning for you, Glen Scott and Krista! I am interested to see how it feels when thrown around a buncha cones!

I recommend anyone who gets the chance, jump behind the wheel and give an Mspec a test drive. Love that V8 sound! Nice work Scott! :cheers: Thanks for the thrill. but no thanks for making me want one..... I love our Classic, but when I can upgrade, an Mspec will be in our garage.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.bruntonauto.com/

PostPosted: September 29, 2012, 9:21 pm 

Suggest nicely to the Brunton people that a nice display at the St. Pete IndyCar race next March would be a great idea. Cause then I would be sure to see one.

Quote:
While the live axle I have works very well, the IRS really made quite a noticable difference. (sic)

And let that debate continue.....

I imagine that wheel spin was a possibility even at triple-digit speeds?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: November 1, 2012, 10:32 am 

I like the mechanical changes, but the styling leaves me cold.

PostPosted: November 1, 2012, 12:57 pm 

Nice car, but man the bodywork looks like it was penned by a 6th grade kid... no thanks.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 11:24 am 

Looks like you can now get the moderized chassis with the classic style bodywork. Also they have added a Plus size version.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 12:04 pm 

Nice website. I watched the Mspec Sebring video. Nothing sounds quite as good as a big V8 does it? I'm not sure I'm there with the styling either. I didn't see a "classic" version as was mentioned above, but then I didn't look either.

Thanks for the link.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 1:51 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

geek49203 wrote:
Quote:
While the live axle I have works very well, the IRS really made quite a noticable difference. (sic)

And let that debate continue...

I believe the context was that the IRS improved ride quality.

My brother's Super Stalker (original) was brutal over bumps due to the 150 lb rear axle assembly. When he drove my IRS Kimini he was shocked how the same bumps all but disappeared.

On the other hand, if the comment about was about on-track traction, yeah, that debate is never-ending.

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 5:33 pm 

I had a good look at the M Spec at the Dixie tour and had a good chat with the parents about the car. They have convinced me to go with on-board front suspension if I can figure it out. The car has a lot of improvement and looks good, I took lots of photos of the parts and got some great advice. I will see how mine measures up at Dixie either next year of the year after, still quite a bit of work to do yet.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: April 11, 2013, 9:08 pm 

Grintch wrote:
I like the mechanical changes, but the styling leaves me cold.

I'm with you -- I actually hate the new rear end. As mentioned, you can get the classic; BUT, with the Stalker being very similarly proportioned to the Donkervoort, I can't help but think they should offer a similarly-styled version. I would be all over that! :cg:

PostPosted: April 17, 2013, 4:08 pm 

OptimusGlen wrote:
Nice car, but man the bodywork looks like it was penned by a 6th grade kid... no thanks.

Agreed Glen. However, they only messed up in a few areas, mainly the windsheild, hood, and rear fenders. Put standard Locost fair instead of what they have, and you've got a pretty nice looking car. Nothing that hasn't been done before but I like the front fender vents.