LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 18, 2024, 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 9:51 pm 

when you build a car yourself or even own a classic/hot rod you tend to be a lot on the conservative side when it comes to driving. When you were a kid, you would thrash your hot rod like you were invincible, now it's a bit different. After I put all the time into building my Locost or my Datsun for that matter, I'm not going to go do something to trash it or myself like I would have when I was younger. If I want to drive fast, I will do it on a track, not a street. I tend to be more vigilant about what is going on around me when I'm out in my Z than when I'm out in my daily driver. Something about having all that time and money tied up with no way to replace it if it's gone makes me pay better attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 10:03 pm 

Darth V8r wrote:
Snrub wrote:
I'm not a big safety person, but I would feel a lot better if I felt like I could get into a reasonable accident and not die. :)

I don't mean to hijack the thread, really, I don't...

The whole safety issue is what is making me rethink whether I want to build a Locost.

I'd look pretty dumb lying in a ditch with a Locost on my head... especially at my age. :)

That and the amount of time required to do all the fiddle-faddle stuff is making everything up for debate with my internal monologue.

Well if that's your instinct you should go with it. Anyone who tells you it's easy or simple is lying to you. Since this site started we have seen MANY people come and go. Most get bit by the Locost bug and spend much time reading and researching here and on the other Locost boards etc. Some will start a build before they either lose interest or find themselves over their heads. (not enough, time, tools, fab skill, etc.) Many folks just get hit with the reality of the enormity of the task and bail out before they ever get started. The concept of building a functioning car from the ground up is appealing to many but in reality there are few who are up to the challenge in the end. There are many more Locosts started than are ever finished. Look at Mcsorley for that matter, he never completed his creation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 10:07 pm 

jmanz6 wrote:
when you build a car yourself or even own a classic/hot rod you tend to be a lot on the conservative side when it comes to driving. When you were a kid, you would thrash your hot rod like you were invincible, now it's a bit different. After I put all the time into building my Locost or my Datsun for that matter, I'm not going to go do something to trash it or myself like I would have when I was younger. If I want to drive fast, I will do it on a track, not a street. I tend to be more vigilant about what is going on around me when I'm out in my Z than when I'm out in my daily driver. Something about having all that time and money tied up with no way to replace it if it's gone makes me pay better attention.

It's a good theory, but it's just a matter of time before my personal 10/10ths matches the cars 10/10ths in certain situations... I know myself too well.

Last time it happened to me I was at my 10/10ths and the car (Porsche 911) was at it's 11/10ths... Almost swapped ends and killed myself but managed to gather it up before leaving the pavement. Actually, swap those ratios - I did something stupid in an unforgiving car. But anyway...

I drove it like a grandpa after that. Sold the car six months later.

Edit: Chet, very "can do!". :) We'll see. Other options are a big, nasty Benz W123, a GM F-body or P-body of some flavour, a BMW E24 or E36, or an MGB. The W123 and P-body are considered "safe" cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22, 2007, 10:33 pm 

Darth V8r wrote:

Edit: Chet, very "can do!". :) We'll see. Other options are a big, nasty Benz W123, a GM F-body or P-body of some flavour, a BMW E24 or E36, or an MGB. The W123 and P-body are considered "safe" cars.

Heck yeah. There are too many really cool car projects out there that have airbags, crumple zones, enclosed cockpits with heat and air conditioning, etc. If you plan on driving much on the street and in more than one season the Locost path might not be for you.

If I were building a car for daily driving and track days I'd get an E36 M3 and go to work on it. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2007, 3:36 pm 

chetcpo wrote:
Darth V8r wrote:

Heck yeah. There are too many really cool car projects out there that have airbags, crumple zones, enclosed cockpits with heat and air conditioning, etc. If you plan on driving much on the street and in more than one season the Locost path might not be for you.

If I were building a car for daily driving and track days I'd get an E36 M3 and go to work on it. :P

Chetcpo,
I have a 1995 M3 that I drive for track days and I do so enjoy that car on the track. You are correct the E36 M3 (especialy the 97/98 sedan) can be a nice daily driver that can pull it off as a track car. Or it can be a very nice track car with occasional street duty.

Most days I drive a 1988 325 convertible with a conforti chip, E36 M3 shifter Tokico lowering kit and a LTW flywheel. It should dyno out around a wopping 190 HP. It's sort of ratty looking but a blast to drive on the street. I'm 46 and I like the car because I can hussle it around an exit ramp and have a blast but I don't need to get it to the potential of the M3 to make me smile.
I love lots of torque and horse power but for the street, and I'll probably get a ribbing for this statement, I have more fun in low HP cars. Heck I have a 1976 2002 with all of 100 HP that makes me laugh. Plus I really do beleive that most people on the street can't handle anything over 150 to 200 HP. Let the bashing start :lol:

Thanks,
Ranting John
PS: I was not paying attention so I am sorry if I highjacked someones post. Please forgive me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24, 2007, 10:30 pm 
'Struth! The two most fun cars I've ever owned were great handlers but low on power (an Austin Mini Cooper Mk.1 and a 1.8 l. Porsche 914), and they were a total blast to drive. Competed in the Cooper, and won a fair bit with it, too - rally, gymkhana, track, slalom, hillclimb, autoX, whatever...it was a giant killer. The 914 was a hoot - handled exceptionally well, and outperformed a lot of higher end sports & performance cars, much to their chagrin. The way I have it figured, you don't have to have 800 bhp to have fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25, 2007, 2:31 am 
JOHNHOF wrote:
...I really do beleive that most people on the street can't handle anything over 150 to 200 HP. Let the bashing start :lol: ...

Can't speak for "Most people" but my Grand Cherokee has 285 hp. The most fun street car I had was a Corvair that I installed a 400 hp small block in the back seat to see how cheaply(locost) I could beat a Turbo Carrrera(sp?). Then there was twin turboed 66 Charger, D Gas 55 Chevy, FI Split window, Cobra, ec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7, 2007, 12:17 pm 

I rode motorcycles for a living, why would I care about side impact airbags and such? To me I want the 4 wheel motorcycle because of issues I have at the moment with riding. I want the wind in my face, the high pitched redlines, the sharp handling and that feel of being on the edge all the time.

What I would like to see in a kit is a choice of bodies (IE: full bodies, 7esque bodies, Roadsters, Coupes) and drivetrains set-ups. Suspension parts I can buy at Napa/Autozone/Kragen/Checker. I would also like to see a kit that can be either a small MG/L7 size or built to Cobra dimensions. Variety is what I am interested in.

Makings of a Locost BEC scattered all over the garage...