LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 16, 2017, 4:23 pm 

Thanks Lonnie!
Cutting the tube stock a bit longer than the pieces need to be.
10" for this one,
Attachment:
Lngth,001.jpg

!5" here,
Attachment:
Lngth,003.jpg

And 20".
Attachment:
Lngth,005.jpg

Need to buy new sandbox sand and maybe more 1/2" tube.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 22, 2017, 4:56 am 

STranger 7 wrote:
I've been working on MG stuff all summer. Picked up 2 1967 MGB GTs, They both run, but need work to move under there own power

You never have just *one* old British car.

[cough, cough] Spitfire [*twitch*]

I think part of it was they were designed with a three to five year lifespan, and then they expected you'd buy another car. Nowadays, that's less time than it takes to get a restoration project done, so by the time you get the last thing fixed, replaced, or painted, the first few things you did need attention again, and you can never quite get off the hamster wheel.

I liked the Spitfire a lot and I missed it when it was gone, but tossing the to-do list in the trash when the new owner drove it away (it was running at the time!) was one of the happiest moments of my life.

PostPosted: November 16, 2017, 2:45 pm 

Well it's like this, I seriously doubt that I'll be getting back to these seats any time soon.
I"m into the process far enough that I want to see them completed but I want to get the 7 on it's wheels and running first.

So,if there is anything about the design or build process that someone would like to discuss further, that I'll make time for.
I may have more pictures of a dissembled original seat if more detail is desired. I'll see what I can find.

One point though, a seat like this is best fitted to the individual. Knowing how to do that is important.

Ron

PostPosted: November 16, 2017, 6:51 pm 

I'd like to see as many pictures as you care to post.

I've been impressed with your seat building, but I understand the desire to git'r'done. A piece of upholstered plywood across the back and a couple of stadium cushions, and Colin's your uncle...

Hopefully you'll get back to the seats after the new wears off the car. [grin]

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 11:14 am 

TRX,
About that piece of plywood. I'm trying to hook up with a seller from Craigs list to buy
this tan colored leather seat from a 1999 Lexus ES300.
Attachment:
seat from a 1999 Lexus ES300.jpg

If I can, I'll fit it to the frame and set pedals to it.
I'll dig up any pictures that aren't already here and add them soon.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 11:51 am 

This link works as of today 11,17,2017.
http://website.lineone.net/~dmch2/seats.htm
The write up details the construction of the seat backs.
The molded plastic piece used could be reproduced in carbon fiber.
The bottom is of similar design and construction. Here are some pictures that show how the bottoms fit the frame.
Attachment:
DSCF3683.jpg

Attachment:
DSCF3684.jpg

The headrest appears almost identical to the MGB.
Attachment:
2598-2577-thickbox.jpg

Easier and cheaper to use Honda Civic style, but the top would need to be flatter.
Ron

PostPosted: December 27, 2017, 8:17 pm 

Okay, the "butt pocket" drops down between the seat tracks, almost touching the floor?

That would put you a lot lower in the car than with a Miata or other conventional seat.

What I've been curious about is the huge bolster on the front of the squab. I know its intent is to get your knees up, which is good (at least once your knee joints get old and don't like to bend backwards...) but does the bolster cause any problems with circulation in your thighs?

With the bolster, the Caterham squabs also *look* really long, front edge to seat back. Most OEM squabs are fairly short to accomodate short-legged drivers, but they're not sitting so low to the floor, either.

PostPosted: December 28, 2017, 10:49 am 

TRX,
I share your concern about the circulation in the legs. There's a lot to consider here.
Attachment:
Caterham-7-Custom-2006-sm.jpg

Speaking personally, I don't imagine my backside is going to rest solely in the lower area. If it can't settle comfortably on to that lower section, I wonder how the lower back will handle that. The one picture found of a used seat bottom suggest, to me, that there is a good bit of "give" to the bolster.
Attachment:
Caterham-160-06.jpg

Research would indicate there is a wide range of foam densities available. Trail and error my be the best approach for matching the type of material to the individual.
After all, like every other part of our 7s, this is just another chance to do it your way.

As far as cutting off the blood flow, the cars these were designed for have a cockpit that is shorter than most lowcost builds.
For many years the frames were very similar to the original series 2. The result being, the legs don't exactly lay flat.
Where the book frame measures 32" from bulkhead to the first vertical piece, the original is under 24".
Attachment:
Original frame specs,01.jpg

Also the original height at the top of that vert. was 13.25 compared to 15" for the McSORLEY 7+442e frame. So with the side tube angled down toward the rear, the seat sit high enough for the elbow to clear to side while driving.
Most of this long winded explanation is to help me to reorganize my thoughts again, so please don't take offense if I'm stating the obvious or what is common knowledge. :)
Attachment:
caterham-roadsport-175-1.jpg

Notice the dropped floor pan on this Roadsport.
Attachment:
Caterham-Dropped seat pan05.jpg

Maybe that was added to help with leg comfort.
Ron

Last edited by STranger 7 on December 28, 2017, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 28, 2017, 11:12 am 

Ok, now as to the length. Considering the narrow width of around 16", the seat looks longer in a 24" long cockpit.
Attachment:
Caterham-7-Custom-2006,03,sm.jpg

I can see a persons knees being under the dash when driving this one. On me, that places the forward edge of the seat about 2/3 toward my knees.
Not quite like this example but similar in some ways.
Attachment:
homebuiltairplanes2013-3-30-19-3-42.jpg

When I get back to working out details, Different heal heights will be tested.

I opted for a shorter, more like the original, cockpit length.
Attachment:
STranger 7 Btm Spec,01.jpg

My 44" wide frame has 15" tall sides. Even with about 1" of rails and spacers, the seat will probably need to be mounted higher to enable a comfortable driving position ( elbows clearing the sides in a quick turn).
Attachment:
STranger 7 ref,01.jpg

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can do more.

Still a lot to work out. Hope to get back to building soon.
Ron

PostPosted: December 28, 2017, 11:28 am 

One more picture showing the impression of the driver. Much less ware on the passengers side. :wink:
Attachment:
PicCaterhamInterior.jpg

Ron

PostPosted: December 28, 2017, 4:31 pm 

Wow. That's way more than I expected; thanks for taking the time to put all that down!