LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 6, 2012, 8:38 pm 

A question for anyone who has used factory gauges and mounted them to look like single gauges.
I am using an engine turned dash and my some of my gauges are taken from a maurader dash and I have seperated them. They will be mounted individually but I am having a hard time finding bezels. Ideally I would like to find brass bezels but finding anything in 4.25 inch is near impossible. I have 3 sizes of gauge 1.75 inch 2.125 inch and the factory ones 4.25 (all ID ) I have found some pvc plumbing parts that will work with the 4.25 inch if I put them in the lathe and make some minor adjustments but they would have to be painted to look like brass, I would have to do the same to the existing chrome trim rings for the rest. Any Ideas?
hear are the guages in question The faces are close to what will be on them but not quite the finished product as they have the family coat of arms on the bottom of the gauge..

Dale

PostPosted: November 19, 2012, 1:12 am 

Made my own
4 1/4 inch white pvc turned on the lathe and multiple copper metalic paint coats and a couple of clear coats- looks much better than the pics.
I wanted polished brass and found a finish that looked just like brass when held up against real brass but it was too washed out against the alloy, even more when against some engine turned ally which is what I will be doing to the dash.
Dale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 19, 2012, 10:41 am 

They look very good. You're a very creative guy. I haven't seen your build other than the photo here, but I'll try and find your log.

I'm assuming you wanted the "antique", period look for your Locost, and if you did, those gauges will be very convincing. Good job.

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886