LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering Wheel Position
PostPosted: July 24, 2013, 8:19 pm 

Hay guys,
About ready to knock steering wheel/column hole thru dash. I'm a 5'5" short person, so I may need to take that into consideration. Could I ask that a few measure from the top of the scuttle down and from the seat up to your steering column center height? This should, at least, get me in the ballpark. Any comments relative to your feel for the position would be helpful. I will mock this up before I commit, but a ballpark number would be great.
Thanks guys,
Don

PostPosted: July 24, 2013, 11:01 pm 

An original Lotus has the steering shaft hole located at 18.5" above the floor, with the top of the scuttle at 22.75" above the floor.

It is my opinion that the column centerline should go from the center of your chest to the centerline of the front axle.

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 8:52 am 

Check out this post: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=13781&hilit=steering+wheel+position

My steering shaft passes just under tube Q and just over tube P. I have tilt capability. YMMV Steering wheel height and angle are personal prefrences. I ended up with my steering wheel perpendicular to an imaginary line starting at my shoulder and leading to about 1/3 up the front wheels. Not that much different from SkinnyG's, but enough. The actual location depends upon final seating height.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 9:39 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Get in the car, hold the steering wheel in your hands where it's most comfortable, and presto, that's the position. Listening to any other advice means compromising your comfort - why do that?

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 11:10 am 

Thanks guys for the help. I think holding the steering wheel at the builder's most comfortable position is probably the best way to find that optimum position due to all the variables. Let me try that today.
Thanks again,
Don

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 12:29 pm 

Like Chuck, my steering wheel position was limited by the P and Q tubes. You can go under both, over both, or between them. I had to go between because of my steering rack, which had most of the steering column attached at a fixed angle. I agree that sitting in the car with your seats mounted is a good way to determine where to put the wheel, just be sure you can actually install it there. I had to go a little higher than I liked.

Also good is being able to get in and out of the car, although you can always go with a quick-disconnect hub.

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 4:05 pm 

Make sure you can actually steer and shift. Some friends cannot drive my car because they cannot physically work the pedals (tee hee - all part of my intricate plan...).

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 4:40 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yeah my tall friends bitch and moan about how they can't fit in my driver's seat. What irks me is when they say, "You really should have...." No, I didn't need to do anything I didn't want to, and didn't.

PostPosted: July 25, 2013, 9:25 pm 

N. Versailles Cobra wrote:
Hay guys,
About ready to knock steering wheel/column hole thru dash. I'm a 5'5" short person, so I may need to take that into consideration. Could I ask that a few measure from the top of the scuttle down and from the seat up to your steering column center height? This should, at least, get me in the ballpark. Any comments relative to your feel for the position would be helpful. I will mock this up before I commit, but a ballpark number would be great.
Thanks guys,
Don

Well I am also a 5'5' stumper as well, if I slide my seat all the way back I cant even reach my pedals with my tippy toes.
On the other hand I can slide my seat forward and I fit fine, with the seat slid back my 6'2' brother can use the car easily.
I wouldn't measure from the seat because no two will probably be the same height off the floor.
But from the floor my steering wheel is 22.25 inches to the center of the wheel.
The wheel is 14 inches across.
Top of the scuttle to the floor is 26 inches.
The bottom of the column where it enters the dash is 20 inches.
My steering wheel surface is 6 inches from the dash.
Now mine is adjustable as well, in that I can move it up or down an inch and also move the column closer to the dash if I wish to.
So far it seems quite fine for a street car, on a track car I might move the wheel a bit closer to the dash, but mine is fine for street.
Being short here is a bit of bonus as far as I am concerned.
I just slide the seat all the way back and step in and sit down, slide the seat up where I want it.
My tall friends that drive the car seem to twitch and fiddle their way into the seat, even with all the way back. :ack:

Al