LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Swirl Paint your Dash!
PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 3:13 pm 
We are Slotus!

This looks cool!!! Bucket of water, make "pools" of paint on top, swirl it around, dip the part! They make it look easy. (Which means it probably ain't!) Still, the final product looks really neat!!! (In a rock-n-roll guitar sort of way!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8JcW1mO5Tc

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 6:08 pm 

I have heard of this. It is called hydro graphics, and it is the main reason everything has camo paint. It is super cool to watch, and I think you can buy a kit to do this at home.

PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 8:09 pm 

I've seen that done with printed patterns on a water-soluble film, like the ever popular camo. I know this free-form method has been around much longer, but I've never watched it done. Pretty cool. I wonder if there is a specific type of paint you must use? Off hand, I would think any oil based paint might work.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 8:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

Howdy, Y'all-
I haven't seen the kit, but I bet you're right...

The video I posted or one similar that I looked at mentioned "Testor's Oil Paint" from the hobby shop. I'm guessing, like you said, that any oil based paint would work. Water colors, not so much...

Now, if I could just find a vat big enough to dip the sidepods off the Slotus!!!!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 10:12 pm 

You could get the side pods done for sure. I now remember where I saw the camo dip and it was on the Father/Son Motorcycle Build show. I would have to guess that the tank they showed was 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. The paint was on a huge roll they just pull it over the dipping solution in the tank. I would guess you could jump in and make a matching painted race suit if you really wanted to. Also I do not know if the link works but youtube occ camo bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xmrYrC4Gw

PostPosted: October 5, 2013, 11:25 pm 

Unfortunately, all I can think of when I see this is "great, now that I'm done making my trippy looking part I've got this big bucket of contaminated water/oil based paint. NOW what do I do with it?!?" :?

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 1:57 am 

The storm drains know what to do with it... :BH:

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 9:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I've got this big bucket of contaminated water/oil based paint. NOW what do I do with it?!?"

Good point... It should be stored until your local waste disposal group (city, county, private, etc) has one of those "haz waste amnesty days" and you can turn it in with them. OR... It would need to be disposed of as "contact water" with some entity that's in the business of haz waste disposal. (That option would cost money!) OR... As a last resort, you could use it to swirl paint your toilet (that'll be popular with the Mrs!) and send it to the local treatment plant. Can't say I'd recommend that.

Quote:
The storm drains know what to do with it...

Justin, you are a bad boy, go to your room and spray paint on the wall "I will not put petro products in the storm drains" fifty times. :mrgreen:

Just to be clear, that tub of water/paint would not be hazardous waste, per se. It would be considered "contact waste water." As such, it would have to be analyzed chemically and the concentration of "listed substances" (i.e. "contaminants") would determine if it qualifies as "hazardous waste". It probably would not. I still wouldn't drink it... Wash the cat in it maybe...

And, now that I've typed all that, I realize almost everything I've written is based on the system used in Florida. Your state might be different. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to check with a local, reputable, body/paint shop and ask what they do with leftover paint, rinse water, etc. Most likely, they have a container for such stuff and a scheduled pickup service. They might let you dump your 5 gallons in with theirs...

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 1:44 pm 

In all seriousness, I would think your local hazardous waste collection facility would take it. I wonder how effectively you could 'skim' the oil from the water?

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 2:49 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
In all seriousness, I would think your local hazardous waste collection facility would take it. I wonder how effectively you could 'skim' the oil from the water?

That was my thought. The water should be pretty much okay to dispose of -- heck, if all else fails, just skim off the oily stuff and let it evaporate? And then take the oily stuff to AutoZone or whatever place does waste oil recycling?

When I worked for a waste oil disposal company, the state environmental people told us that it was okay to scoop up small amounts of gravel/sand and simply throw it in our dumpster. I can't recall, but I believe that the dumpster went to an incinerator -- which I guess means that it went from ground water pollution issues to air pollution issues.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 2:51 pm 

Driven5 wrote:

I liked your storm drain answer better. Headed to my room . . .chalk in hand. :whip:

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 3:21 pm 

pour it through an old K&N cone filter at least once and pour into somewhere that goes through treatment not directly into the water eco system. Locally the best would be the basement floor drain. Pilot lights in furnace and waterheater "shouldn't" be a concern with any modern low VOC paint, but worth mentioning in case you went with some sort of boutique finish like painted chrome.

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 6:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
And then take the oily stuff to AutoZone or whatever place does waste oil recycling?

I've never tried taking them anything besides used motor oil. They almost always ask if it's anything other than motor oil. Have any of y'all ever taken them some other variety of used oil, or more specifically, used oil based paint?

PostPosted: October 6, 2013, 8:02 pm 

A few ideas....
1. Light it and let it burn itself out
2. use an oil soak pad to soak up the oil and just throw away. In Missouri the law reads that as long as it is not liquid oil it can go in the normal trash. So an oily rag as long as it is not dripping oil can go in the trash with everything else.
3. scoop the oil off the surface and pour onto your favorite oil dry and then let the water evaporate.
4. scoop the oil off and pour in with your used oil and take to your favorite auto parts store for recycling. Then let the water evaporate.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en