LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 7:49 am 

Hey finest folks of the community, so i'm going to be building a wooden backed bench seat backrest type deal, with some foam and covered in a marine vinyl, the car will be kept outside throughout the year in SLC Utah where we have snow and stuff, the car will be covered with a car cover, but my question is, what type of wooden board would be most moisture tolerant?I plan on covering the area that is not covered with foam and MV with plastic sheeting to try and repel as much moisture as possible, but that being said, is chipboard the way? or.....?

This is not a 'long term' solution, hopefully just to see me through the spring when I can afford real seats (possibly).

Thanks fam

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 8:20 am 

I would think 1st choice would be marine grade plywood. 2nd would probably be plywood with a couple coats of oil base paint. I would stay away from any chip or pressboard base type material.
Dave W

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 8:35 am 

Ooh! Good call on the marine. Here is what is local, designed for 'exposed structures'

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-4-f ... /206971071

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 6:32 pm 
The voice of reason

Marine plywood is really good stuff. That would be ideal, but it's not worth getting something shipped to you. If you go to the contractor's desk at Home Depot, I think they can get it for you without shipping - maybe.

Marine plywood is made from good wood all the way thru, not just the outside layers and it also has no internal voids. These things are important for structural use on a boat for example.

I would avoid the sheet you gave a link for because I don't think the pressure treating chemicals are needed. It just isn't that likely that you will have a termite problem or insect problem. The wood is also hazardous to saw etc.

You should be able to get a nice sheet of AB plywood with exterior glue. That means it won't have un-repaired knot holes on the surface. Then paint it with latex paint. The latex will likely be a little more damage resistant, it's a little bit rubbery.

I think a bench seat is a good choice for these cars, it will actually be two bucket seats once you get into the car...

PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 8:10 pm 

A common technique when building a wood boat using ply is toi use the W.E.S.T. procedure. It's the wood epoxy saturation system and of course promoted by WEST epoxy (see Gougen Brothers).

Simply coat the wood 2 or 3 coats of epoxy, being sure to get the edges and you will never worry about the wood.

PostPosted: October 3, 2017, 8:44 am 

aidandebradney wrote:
Hey finest folks of the community, so i'm going to be building a wooden backed bench seat backrest type deal, with some foam and covered in a marine vinyl, the car will be kept outside throughout the year in SLC Utah where we have snow and stuff, the car will be covered with a car cover, but my question is, what type of wooden board would be most moisture tolerant?I plan on covering the area that is not covered with foam and MV with plastic sheeting to try and repel as much moisture as possible, but that being said, is chipboard the way? or.....?

This is not a 'long term' solution, hopefully just to see me through the spring when I can afford real seats (possibly).

Thanks fam

Hi,
I too would recommend marine or aviation type of ply. They are formulated to take a lot of humidity. Also you will be well advised to cocoon the entire woodwork with several coats of oil based varnish. That should do it. Good luck.

PostPosted: October 3, 2017, 5:28 pm 

I just went to Home Depot and got some plywood. My car has been through everything the weather can throw at it, and it shows in a lot of places, but the seat back is as solid as the day I installed it. Wrapped in vinyl and bolted to the aluminum bulkhead. I actually had to remove it a few weeks ago, and I'd forgotten how light the thing was. I think it was sold as 5 mm ply. The seat bottoms were 12 mm.
Attachment:
seatblanks.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 3, 2017, 11:52 pm 

I used some regular plywood that was just scraps laying around. I think it was 3/8" good one side plywood, so a little better than the cheapest of the cheap. The only stuff for my seats that cost me money was the staples to hold it all together and a cheap electric carving knife to cut the foam. I also used some leftover 3/16" aluminum for the side bolsters in the middle. The foam and leather came from the back seat of a car that a buddy was sending to the scrap yard. The cushions I built are just a snug fit in the car, and not attached in any way. Mine is garaged, but it's definitely gotten wet, and they've held up fine.
Attachment:
IMG_20160716_164147160.jpg

Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 4, 2017, 12:07 am 

And they look great. I'd rather gone that route.

PostPosted: October 4, 2017, 7:29 am 
We are Slotus!

So, I don't have a plywood-backed bench seat... How-some-ever, I do have a plywood splitter on the nose.

I used 1/4 inch plywood, the cheapest one with smooth (no football shaped holes, etc) surfaces. Since I was using West epoxy resin for the fiberglass bodywork, I had lots of that stuff hanging around. I "painted" both sides and the edges of the plywood with West epoxy, let it cure for a day or six and then painted it.

The car is garaged, so I can't say the wood/epoxy has withstood much weather. It has been wet. It has been out in the sun all day. And it's hit a few bumps along the way. Some repainting has been needed on the bottom side. Otherwise, it held up just fine. As a seatback, covered, somewhat protected, I think it'd work.

Alternately, you might try some good mid-grade plywood and some of the "Porch Sealer" stuff they sell at big-box home supply places.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 4, 2017, 7:37 pm 

just used some mason board a bit of foam and some thinking and sawing and sewing, a bit like Nicks car

john
https://i.imgur.com/TTtUOjD.jpg

PostPosted: October 4, 2017, 10:55 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
And they look great. I'd rather gone that route.

Thanks, they turned out a lot nicer than my original plan. Blue foam camping pads layered and glued together.
Kristian