LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 10:20 am 

Just a heads up to anyone considering using Kirkey seats. Bought a pair 2 years ago along with the matching seat covers. Seat covers have faded so badly, that they are no longer black but gray. I called them about the problem and I was specifically told that they were not meant to be used in an open cockpit vehicle because of their exposure to direct sunlight??!!!!! The person suggested that I should get someone to make covers for the seats out of leather. I like the seats but the material they are using for the covers is crap. They admitted the problem and were not willing to help me in any way, other than to sell me the same covers again at full price!!!

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 12:30 pm 

I have the blue covers and they have not faded over 3 seasons. Just one data point...

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 4:55 pm 

JPS Europa wrote:
I have the blue covers and they have not faded over 3 seasons. Just one data point...

Interesting. I will post pics later so you can see the severity. I know it is possible to have black fabric in this day and age that will not fade. I am considering dying them but that may be a crap shoot because I do not know what their material is made of.

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 5:42 pm 
Always Moore!

Where are you storing the car and do you have the nylon or tweed covers?

PostPosted: June 23, 2017, 11:54 pm 

a.moore wrote:
Where are you storing the car and do you have the nylon or tweed covers?

Vehicle has been on the road for the past 2 summers. It has about 3000 miles on the odometer. Because the chassis was never painted it was always under cover when possible. Not sure what the covers are made of (they have no tags) but I would lean towards nylon. Vehicle is usually always inside or under cover. I guess the downfall of the seat covers is that they are exposed to sunlight because the vehicle is used during daylight hours! I am located in Central Oregon and my latitude here is within a degree of Kirkey's location in the great white North.

PostPosted: July 1, 2017, 8:46 pm 

http://imgur.com/a/jwPHi
http://imgur.com/a/nNL8S

The fading is not as drastic in the pics. Looks worse in real life. Nothing else on the vehicle interior has faded...eg dash and console material, floor carpeting etc.

PostPosted: July 2, 2017, 6:40 am 

No need to switch to leather. I had my seats covered with an automotive grade black velour fabric. The guy said it was inexpensive, but would not wear out. Used them about 70,000 miles, still look great and did not fade. We do not have Arizona grade sunshine, but it is bright enough to do a number on inferior grade upholstery.

Bill

PostPosted: July 2, 2017, 11:30 am 

BBlue wrote:
No need to switch to leather. I had my seats covered with an automotive grade black velour fabric. The guy said it was inexpensive, but would not wear out. Used them about 70,000 miles, still look great and did not fade. We do not have Arizona grade sunshine, but it is bright enough to do a number on inferior grade upholstery.

Bill

You are right. There is no need need for leather. It was a ridiculous statement coming right from the manufacturer itself. Could you imagine trying to sit in a black leather seat in a tube framed vehicle that has been sitting outside? The Kirkey seat covers cost almost as much as the seats themselves. They need to find a new material to replace the inferior grade they are currently using. Even the indoor/outdoor carpeting I used from Home Depot has not faded, nor has the speaker cabinet material used to cover the dash. Looking into Sparco seats now.

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 10:32 am 

Would it really be cost prohibitive to have new skins sewn up? If you are willing to forgo piping, it is very possible to put them together with ordinary sewing machines. Been there, done that, two times.

Bill

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 12:51 pm 

BBlue wrote:
Would it really be cost prohibitive to have new skins sewn up? If you are willing to forgo piping, it is very possible to put them together with ordinary sewing machines. Been there, done that, two times.

Bill

A good question, but you would also have to transfer or duplicate all the foam backing and padding as well. The fact of the matter is that you should not have to do this. In this day and age there is no excuse for material that fades like this . The worst part is that Kirkey acknowledged the problem, had a condescending attitude, and is not taking any steps to correct it. As a manufacturer of specialty parts myself, the relationship with customers is all important. It's all about providing a great product and happy customers.

PostPosted: July 10, 2017, 10:08 am 

And now to add to the fading problem, I have noticed that the foam padding Kirkey uses under the seat cover material is deteriorating and turning to a fine powder! I have found a bunch of it on the floor of the vehicle.

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 8:26 am 

mtntech wrote:
And now to add to the fading problem, I have noticed that the foam padding Kirkey uses under the seat cover material is deteriorating and turning to a fine powder! I have found a bunch of it on the floor of the vehicle.

With problems of disintegrating foam rubber, who cares about fading? This is an issue that was solved by the industry many, many years ago. Run, don't walk, away.

Bill

PostPosted: July 11, 2017, 10:18 am 

BBlue wrote:
mtntech wrote:

With problems of disintegrating foam rubber, who cares about fading? This is an issue that was solved by the industry many, many years ago. Run, don't walk, away.

Bill

Yes, very disappointing. Both problems are fixable but frustrating.

PostPosted: May 4, 2018, 5:06 pm 

Seats keep fading. Now parts of them are a lighter gray color! And these are in a vehicle that spends very little time outside.

PostPosted: June 5, 2018, 6:45 pm 

the ultrashield seats in my miata are also fading from black to gray my seats are about 5 years old now.
this is very common with this type of fabric on a race seat as they are made of a fire retardant material.
ultrashield will not replace them as this material is not made for an open top car.
the ultrashield seats i have in my porsche are about 9 years old and the covers are still holding up fine as it's not an open top car.
to meet the ISO standards the cover have to be made of a fire retardant material.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.