LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: British fiberglass seats
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 11:34 am 

Anyone contact Triton on the locostbuilders.co.uk forum? It looks like he makes rather nice fiberglass seats for a pretty decent price. Even considering the weak position of the dollar. You get a pair for £185.00 I haven't found anything similar Stateside. Besides Kirkey, most seat manufacturers cater to the larger posterior of America. Too bad with exactly 17 inches of width, no much will fit my frame. Also there seems to be a lot of happy customers over on the British forum.

Im going to see if he'd be interested in trying to ship over here. My adventure in seat making was less than stellar. I think I could still make something that would work but it sure wouldn't look that good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 12:12 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

My experience with fiberglass seats was not a positive one. Without padding, and due to vibration and prespiration trapped between me and the seat, it wore my skin through right along my spine. No thanks. At the very least, budget some money for a decent cover. Oh, and drill a hole in the bottom of it in case the car gets caught in the rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8, 2008, 1:56 pm 

I have a Sparco roadster thats fiberglass. No real problems with it. The seat is actually covered by what looks like headliner fabric from a fabric store with cushions for the seat and back. The cushions are removable to fit lower if you like.

If I got these seats I would make a small cushion for the rear and back. Possibly cover the seat in the headliner fabric like the Sparco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 2:50 pm 

Are you sure he charges 185 pounds for the pair and not one?

I just ordered some Sparco Speeds. I am not paying $650 for not covered fibreglass seats that are $50 worth of material. Our chassis is 19.5 wide which makes it a little easier but not much. It sucks having such a limited selection you should make your chassis wider if it's not to late.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 4:21 pm 

I am sure. Here's his stuff on ebay. Ebay converts the money for you. But read any of the items. They all say the price is for a pair.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdrdonowtorange Not sure if that link will work. If not search sellers for "drdonowtorange"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10, 2008, 10:01 pm 

Quote:
I have shipped seats to Canada so the US just means they turn left a bit more so don't see any drama other than the cost of shipping at £98 per pr. One fella in Canada ordered for himself and a friend and had them delivered to one address this saved £30 on shipping costs for some odd reason but something to think about.

Got an answer back. Shipping is kind of what I expected. Any one else interested? Im giving my seat making skills 1 more shot. I think I can make it work. But I might end up snagging these. For about 300 a seat, thats not far from the price of the discount ebay Sparco Roadster I got for the Miata.

SR7- My frames already complete. Just search for Coveland... I'm sure you'll run across it :P I could redo and shrink the tunnel but not by too much more. Definately not enough to get my Sparco Roadser in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13, 2008, 12:09 pm 

I bought a pair of Triton seats. Luckily I was across the pond on a work trip, so I carried them back with me as general baggage. The seats stacked nicely together (eh, yes ma'am it's a baby seat)

They are nice and comfy and well contoured, although I haven't driven more than a few miles with them yet. They get really hot when left in the sun though. They fit snugly within a 16" cockpit width. I'm 195lbs and am probaly at the limit of fitting in these - larger people can't fit down into them.

I think reading somewhere that his seats were a rip off of a brand name seat, but I cant remember for sure. Pity one of our friendly providers here doesn't do a similar seat. Perhaps there is an opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13, 2008, 2:58 pm 

I think the Tritons are a copy of the factory Caterham seat. Take a look at my Sparco's in the Sr7. To bad no one carries anything over here. Here's another company who makes them over there.
http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/products/seats/?page=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22, 2008, 11:57 pm 

I just ordered a pair of fiberglass seats with pads for $200 + $100 shipping

they weigh in at 18lbs a piece without sliders and are 20" at the widest point, according to the seller.

FedEX says they will be here next monday so I will give some feedback of them when they are here

heres the eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-Fiber ... dZViewItem

these seats are the only ones the seller carries, but it appears he is a startup online store and these are the first seat style he is carrying.....

hope these work out, I will definately write some comments on here about the seats when I get them

-matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 2:46 am 

My chassis was built by Tiger in the UK, and I only have 15" between the side and the transtunnel. Kirkey has a Drag racing aluminum bucket that's only 14.5" across, and the padded upolstery was cheap. I forgot what I paid for them, but I had to switch from pull up type harnesses to pull down in order to have room for the seat belts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2, 2008, 2:26 pm 

mcfandango wrote:
I am sure. Here's his stuff on ebay. Ebay converts the money for you. But read any of the items. They all say the price is for a pair.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdrdonowtorange Not sure if that link will work. If not search sellers for "drdonowtorange"

WOW, my bum hurts!! If I remember correctly I paid almost $1000.00 for a pair of those seats when the Canadian dollar was in the toilet in Dec of 06. :cry: