LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently October 17, 2017, 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kurtis body
PostPosted: October 8, 2017, 8:32 am 

All Solstice stuff...engine, trans, uprights/brakes, steering rack, diff, axles, driveshaft (minus 20 inches). I like it, but i had to enlarge the taper on the tie rod and UBJ and change the bolt pattern from 5x100 to 5x4-3/4 to use the wheels i wanted. I bought another set of solstice uprights (good deal on eBay) for the next car :BH: .

Bought the whole Solstice package from Dean 3W - super nice guy- we have become internet friends ever since. We are collaborating on making some louver press dies....

this might be next on the list - Ferrari Celeritas....has a 7ish look to it. I like the shape, but maybe keep it more vintage looking

Attachments:
Ferrari Celeritas.png
Ferrari Celeritas.png [ 932.43 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]
PostPosted: October 8, 2017, 9:27 am 

Very impressive chassis. I would stop by were it not 1000 miles. You are fortunate to live so close to Wray. Here in the sticks I'm trying to resolve the panel joining question: TIG or OA ? What do you think about this?

PostPosted: October 8, 2017, 2:02 pm 

I have a Miller Tig (Syncrowave 200 with water-cooled torch) so that is all i have used. Wray Tigs too. Other experts seem to favor OA (Kent White - TinManTech). id like to work with an OA expert, then id be a better judge. If you do Tig, it is best to do both sides. You can fusion weld if you have no gaps (Wray posted a video on FB a while back). I bought some 0.035 1100 Mig wire to use when i need a dab of filler.
The import Tigs work well too, but a water-cooled torch is better for using AC.

It is good to planish ("hammer smooth") the weld and grind. I use a 3" 3M "Blaze" disc on an angle grinder. 50 grit is good for knocking down the welds. Put a little wax on the disc so it doesnt clog with aluminum - candle wax or beeswax are good.

once again, i am just an amateur, not an authority.....

PostPosted: October 10, 2017, 4:20 pm 

vroom wrote:
...I would stop by were it not 1000 miles. You are fortunate to live so close to Wray. Here in the sticks I'm trying to resolve the panel joining question...

If you are interested in training, you might look at this outfit. http://www.aametalshaping.com/contact/ They're in the Green Bay area.