LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 14, 2011, 2:21 pm 

TRX wrote:
firebat45 wrote:
Plus, once you've started a picture hosting account, you never need to learn how to post pictures on any new forums you join, or deal with size limits, since you've saved them all in one place.

...which will usually go away in a year to eighteen months if you don't send them money or regularly access the account.

When I join a new forum I usually go to the oldest threads first (I want information, after all, that's why I signed up...) and step back forward. For a few forums, the archives are more useless than not. Something way cool was shown and discussed back in '03, but all the pictures are little square 404 blocks now, and the user who posted them hasn't logged in since '07, for example.

I've never paid for picture hosting, and still have my flickr and photobucket accounts, both of which went years at a time with no logins. No lost pictures. Most of those 404'd pictures you see is people deleting old photos off their account. I do agree that it's annoying though, not being able to see the photos.

I can't stand having to log in to view pictures on a forum, which is the way 99% of them do it (not LocostUSA). It also costs LocostUSA more in hosting, having the pictures on here instead of off-site. Especially since they do display them to everyone, not just logged in members.

Photobucket and flickr will also resize your photos for you. You can crop them once uploaded, edit them, add text, etc. IMHO, this site is focused towards Locost discussion, and a photo-sharing site is focused towards sharing photos. Let each do what they were designed for.

PostPosted: May 14, 2011, 6:56 pm 

However, .....

I will admit that I skim most posts and unless I'm REALLY keen to see something I rarely go to photos hosted on another site because generally there is too much there. If it's an engine mount (say) that's being discussed, I just want to see a photo of the engine mount below the text so I can keep scrolling, not a whole build history.

But if we weren't all different, life would be boring. :D

PostPosted: May 15, 2011, 12:10 am 

JackMcCornack wrote:
, PS to OP: send me an e-mail at work (click <Contact us> on the kineticvehicles.com main menu for how to do it) and I'll get a set of stanchions and hardware out to you.

Jack, I sent you an email on the 12th, but as you warned - maybe your folks deleted it because it had an attachment. I sent it to your work again just now. Thanks, Chuck

PostPosted: May 15, 2011, 12:17 am 

Thanks everyone for your help with my picture attaching.

My first car was a 64 Galaxie 2door post with a 352 and a factory 4 barrel and a three on the tree. It was a great car. Everyone called it a boat, but man it was fast and could hold a bunch of high school kids in the truck. ( to get into the drive-in).

I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks all, Chuck

PostPosted: May 15, 2011, 1:57 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Quote:
The only quirk is, if you're attaching a series of photos, you have to upload the last one first and work your way back to the first one.

Jack, the photos can be uploaded in any order. Once uploaded, there is a command window just below the message body window that allows the photos to be inserted anywhere, even between text. They are listed in a drop-down window by filename. One could easily insert the first photo then the third, then the second if you have a mind to. The photos show up in the location that the curser is in when"inserted". That command window doesn't show up until the first photo is uploaded. .

I didn't know about the command window thing. Bit of thread drift but I'm probably not the only one that learned something from it. :D

Ron

PostPosted: May 16, 2011, 12:28 am 

I did it. Here are some pictures of my build showing the curved windshield and what I've got built so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64lotus7

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited by 1964FordGalaxie on May 17, 2011, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 16, 2011, 4:09 am 

Very cool, I like the way it looks, I wonder if there's a way to make sure it doesn't crack? It's not like the windshield in a Locost offers any protection in a rollover anyway.

PostPosted: May 16, 2011, 9:03 am 

I to am intrested in using a curved windshield. I wonder if a light weight full frame would stop the cracking or is a stiff frame were the glassis glued on is needed?

PostPosted: May 16, 2011, 11:54 pm 

I think it cracked becuase I kept playing with it - pulling it out of the channel and then setting in back in the channel. One time I thought it kind-of bound-up when I was pulling it out. I came back in the morning and a crack had started. By the end of the day, the crack was all the way up the windshield. I decided to do away with the channel and have the glass sit on top of the skuttle with a peice of rubber ( I got from Speedway.com that was for a model T?) and just hold the thing in with the stanchions, but I cracked the second one on the first cut.
I just added more pictures showing the stanchions I made. They are two piece and just sandwitch the glass on the outside edges. I was then going to use windshield urathan to help hold the glass in the stanchions.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64lotus7/

PostPosted: May 17, 2011, 10:10 am 

HAS anyone thought of using a MGB or MIDGET curved windshield complete with frame? In my calculations you would need to narrow it 2.5 inches on each side, frame and glass. Just score the glass on both sides, give it a little bend(without damage) then pour on a little alcohol. lighting the alcohol will melt the centre plastic and voila, you have a narrow windshield. SOUNDS EASY, DOESN'T IT........... YOU would also have sun visors and mounts for a roof if you are going that way

AL :chev:

PostPosted: August 16, 2011, 5:48 pm 

1964FordGalaxie wrote:

My first car was a 64 Galaxie 2door post with a 352 and a factory 4 barrel and a three on the tree. It was a great car. Everyone called it a boat, but man it was fast and could hold a bunch of high school kids in the truck. ( to get into the drive-in).

It really was a boat but man, I know I had a lot of fun in the car! You should post some pictures. Almost as much fun as your GT I borrowed one night years ago, glad I lived through that night of driving.

PostPosted: August 16, 2011, 6:41 pm 

To the OP, I'm curious to what extent you were cutting the windshields; just the sides to narrow it, or sides and top or bottom (or both)? I too am really hoping to use a curved windshield on my future build. Thanks.

PostPosted: October 1, 2011, 9:52 am 

Acerguy wrote:
To the OP, I'm curious to what extent you were cutting the windshields; just the sides to narrow it, or sides and top or bottom (or both)? I too am really hoping to use a curved windshield on my future build. Thanks.

Sorry It has taken me sooo long to respond. I cut about 3" off both ends but just straight cuts - that was easy and went well. I left the top as-is. I cut the bottom all the way across that so that it would fit the scuttle shape and sit at an angle. This was slow going, and I cracked it as I was finishing the last part of the cut. The crack was actually at the half way point of the cut, but I didn't notice it until I was nearly finished.

Good Luck and if you have anymore questions, please ask - I will pay attention to my alerts.

Thanks,
Chuck

PostPosted: October 1, 2011, 10:00 am 

craigv wrote:
1964FordGalaxie wrote:

It really was a boat but man, I know I had a lot of fun in the car! You should post some pictures. Almost as much fun as your GT I borrowed one night years ago, glad I lived through that night of driving.

You/we are lucky to have lived through many nights and your 351 Pinto - That thing was scary...but FUN.

PostPosted: October 1, 2011, 10:52 am 

1964FordGalaxie wrote:
I cut about 3" off both ends but just straight cuts - that was easy and went well.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! :D