LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 13, 2024, 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanging Luggage Rack
PostPosted: October 13, 2012, 9:41 pm 

Looking for some pictures of a luggage rack that hangs from the upper pipe on the rear and the luggage tray is down low. I like this idea as it seems easily removable and keeps the weight lower down and keeps a clear view in the mirror. I know I have seen it before but I can't recall where.

rx7locost's luggage rack is pretty cool too but would take some additional (and creative) fabrication as I am using those supports for my meth injection system.

Post subject: Re: Hanging Luggage Rack
PostPosted: October 14, 2012, 10:12 am 

Hey Tim,

I haven't seen a rack that hangs off the top tube. I would think that would require some sort of hole in the rear tonneau to pass the mount thru. I have seen pictures of ones that attach to the roll bar and extend outward. This would restrict the rear view. One was "Z" shaped. It was mounted to the roll bar uprights, went rearward across the tonneau, then down the back and out again for the rack part. Whatever you decide, keep it under 2ft from the rear of the car, otherwise you may need brake lights. Make sure your plan leaves access for the gas tank filler. And plan on some way to remount the license plate. If it is in the usual location and obstructed, you may be stopped. I took a middle of the road approach: < 2 ft and plate mounting but no plate light........

Keep up informed.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 14, 2012, 3:37 pm 

Have you searched the USA7s archives?
A driver from alaska fashioned a slick rack for his drive from CO to AK. As i remember there are several picutres of his set up online.

cheers.

PostPosted: October 14, 2012, 7:44 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I've never seen one on a Caterham, but often on a Morgan. It uses the same bolt attaching the spare and is hinged at the bottom for access to the spare, since it fits in a half tire depth well.

No bend in the legs and #3 sticking out about a foot should fit well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 22, 2012, 8:51 pm 

There is a wealth of creativity among this group: I built a cargo tray for the rear of my CRX. They make some that are mounted by the receiver hitch for a trailer. After making similar box/brackets mine mounts easily and provides a nice platform to carry my bicycles. Mounting a luggage rack this way on a Seven can add lots of practicality easily and stylishly.

Someone here has usually had the idea first and done it really well!

PostPosted: May 26, 2013, 10:19 am 

I wanted to be able to pull a trailer + use existing wing mounting holes in the roll bars to hold the rack. Like Chuck i used EMT- 1/2"...... 60'of it..... Jeez.
Two pins and 2 bolts hold it on, the two bolts on the bottom are threaded into rivnuts in the bottom frame tube. The rack is about 1/2 in. from touching Lanas paint job. I haven't tried pulling a trailer yet. May have to do some clearencing. :-(
Gale
http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=22972

PostPosted: May 27, 2013, 9:46 am 

Looking great Gale. I like the pocket for viewing the license plate. A few observations. It looks like you may have a problem hooking up a trailer. Is their enough clearance to the cross piece above the ball? Converting the upper bolt-mounts to hinges may allow you to swing out the bottom and gain clearance. I believe the bottom is where you have the pins? I can't see them. Are the 2 side vertical compartments (I don't know what to call them)sized for a carry-on bag? If not, I'm sure a duffel bag will work just fine. And most imprtantly, how are you planning on filling the tank with something packed in the driver's side compartment? Are you planning on driving the car to the Midwest Gathering? I wish I could see your car in person. Maybe at the 2014 Gathering. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 27, 2013, 11:03 am 

Chuck
It looks like there is enough room to hook up but i can remove the bottom bar if need be......may give it a try today. The widths of each side bay were set up for narrow wheeled carry on bags and the center bay fits a soft cooler. Also have a couple of black duffels that fit also. There are 3/8 sleeves glassed into the FG top that mate up with the sleeves welded into the roll bars. a bolt or pin can be used to line them up and this carries most of the vertical load. There is a tab welded to the bottom of each of the two tubes that with a 1/4 in. bolt passing thru into the rear frame member, keeps the rack centered. I thought about putting hinges on the bottom tabs and just pulling the top pins to fill up but it seemed easier to just tilt back the bag or not stuff that bag so full. Easy fix if it becomes a pain. I am more worried about getting fuel on the bag while filling the tank so will probably remove it at each gas stop anyway.
We will have the car at the midwest gathering . Sorry you can't make it this year. We will miss your company Chuck.

Gale

PostPosted: June 3, 2013, 12:24 am 

IT WORKS. so far.
Chuck, The center tube will have to go to hook up a trailer.