LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Filler Caps
PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 12:51 pm 

Wondering about gas filler caps. I know I can get a wonderful beautiful gas filler cap for a bazillion dollars....

Since I'm building the lola-style body, I'm thinking the vintage style external cap, like this Lotus Eleven example (photo credit to Glenn Stephens):

Attachment:
GlennStephens-Lotus-Eleven-AM.jpg

However, thegarman's "Kate" blog has the Caterham flush-mount (credit to thegarman for the photo, which I cropped):

Attachment:
Caterham 7.jpg

What are the utility considerations? Safety? Cost? Legal?

Thanks!

G'03

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

Post subject: Re: Filler Caps
PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 1:01 pm 

http://cn.bing.com/images/search?q=moto ... &sp=-1&sk=

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 1:43 pm 

I used something like the Caterham one you showed. It is actually a plastic boat filler. I do have an issue filling the tank though. I have to fill real slow, otherwise the gas nozzle will shut off. It may have more to do with the minimal vent than the filler itself. Which ever design you choose, I think you as would be better off if you can mount it on a more-horizontal surface.

Image ,

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 1:50 pm 

I too am looking for one like that. Here are some but not cheap. http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/search,b.htm ... filler+cap

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 2:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

Believe it or not, SCCA Club Racing rules stipulate that the "Monza style" flip open filler caps are NOT legal! That's not in the Autocross regulations, just the GCR, which applies to road racing and time trials. GCR, section 9.3.27.3, page 101 of the on-line version. (I just happened to be looking at the GCR this morning. Dorky, I know...)

Most of us, me included, think of that cap as a "racing" style filler, and it's decidedly counter-intuitive that the SCCA would outlaw 'em... But then, I think sometimes that one of the C's in SCCA stands for counter-intuitive...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 2:49 pm 

Some people end up putting a "normal" cap under the monza style filler. Problem solved, and you get the classic look.

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 3:06 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4145&p=140043&hilit=lemans#p140043

New link to the $150 cap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Cap-LeMans- ... 4891229%26

A second hand spitfire 1500 filler neck is another option for about $50.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 3:40 pm 

the cap choice is dependant on if you are using a factory purge system, this is computer controled on many modern vehicles and requires a cap designed for that application, we should all be using this type if we are good environmentalists to prevent fumes from escaping into the atmophere, they are air tight.

if you do not have the right cap, the computer will set a code and the engine check light will come on.

if you are using an aftermarket computer or a non computer controled engine, this will not apply.

as far as scca rules are concerned, flip up- caps are not allowed because it can be flipped open by accident if the car is in a crash.

if you need just a cap then you need to know if vented or un vented is needed, this depends on wether your tank has a separate vent or not.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 24, 2012, 5:47 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The flip cap linked to above would be allowed, as it is a cap within a cap. It doesn't matter if it pops open.

The spitfire is a flip cap, but requires one to push down and the second action of pushing in on the end button.
It also is sealed, with a separate vent on the tank. It is probably allowed too.

As for vented or not, you can use any cap that can be made to seal with the appropriate tank valving for the application. It doesn't have to be controlled by the cap.

Oem caps that appear to be sealed often have valves for letting air in and vent if there is more than normal pressure for safety. See attached photos I took of an early 90s miata cap.

As for everybody without computer controls sealing their caps, the evap canister and appropriate thermal and check valves from a mid to early 80s vehicle would be necessary. The tank must allow air in and fumes out into the warm, running engine operating above idle or to be stored in the canister if the engine isn't running.

Setting codes for a loose fuel cap started around 96 with obdII. Previous to that, the computer just controlled the vent valve based on sensor inputs rather than using thermal vacuum switches and check valves.

If you design the tank to have sufficient room for expansion space that can't be filled when fueling (at least 2% of the fuel capacity), there would be no need for venting except to let air in and to maintain fuel pump inlet pressure if using a carb.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12