LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plastic windshield?
PostPosted: April 6, 2013, 4:46 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Flat is easier to cut than that. Just make a template and take it to your local glass ship.
Roger that. When you get a windshield mount kit from Kinetic, I put a tracing of a template on the box, which you cut out, test fit, and take to your local auto glazier. 50-75 dollars will do it for a flat safety glass windshield, they make them the same way they make flat household windows (scribe a line and bend at the line and kerSNAP) except they have to do it on both sides (AS-1 safety glass is two sheets of glass glued together).
JacktheRiffer wrote:
Im thinking curved...
Very much hit and miss -unless- you use a windshield shape such as a 1st generation 'vette, which is flat in the middle with curved ends. Then you can cut a hunk out of the middle and make a split window. The middle doesn't actually have to be flat, it merely has to be a simple curve (like a curve you could make from a sheet of paper without any wrinkles) with straight lines in the places you want to cut. A Super Beetle is another car like that (see viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8984&start=315 for some pics).

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 1:27 am 

Not sure I follow...

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 8:39 am 

JacktheRiffer, What can be easier than having soneone else do the work? :cheers:

However, it is a much different scenario with a curved windshield.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 11:35 am 

JacktheRiffer wrote:
Not sure I follow...
That's 'cause I didn't 'splain it well. Photos may help.
Attachment:
GMCWindshield00.jpg
Here's a 1957 GMC pickup truck. The windshield is curved quite radically at the ends, but as seen by the almost-straight reflection of the florescent bulb, it flattens out as you get closer to the middle.
Attachment:
GMCWindshield01.jpg
In profile, it's a straight line from top to bottom, and you can cut the windshield in a straight line as long as you're not cutting across a curve in the windshield shape. For example...
Attachment:
GMCWindshield02.jpg
...you could cut along these two red lines just as if the whole windshield were flat, because it -is- flat where you're cutting it. Then you could throw away the middle piece and join the two remaining halves with a rubber split windshield joiner gasket (hey, I don't know what to call it) and some urethane windshield mounting goop, and you'd have a curved windshield of an appropriate width for a Locost.
Attachment:
SplitWind1.jpg
Here's a fuzzy photo of that RSWJG stuff in action, from my Lalo body topic. I had to buy 50 feet of it to get any of it, so if you decide to go the split windshield route, I have some gasket left over.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 10:17 pm 

Are there any cars with curved windshields that are close to the width of a Locost? Maybe a Spitfire or other small car from that era?

PostPosted: April 7, 2013, 10:29 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
JacktheRiffer wrote:
Not sure I follow...
That's 'cause I didn't 'splain it well. Photos may help.
Attachment:
GMCWindshield00.jpg
Here's a 1957 GMC pickup truck. The windshield is curved quite radically at the ends, but as seen by the almost-straight reflection of the florescent bulb, it flattens out as you get closer to the middle.
Attachment:
GMCWindshield01.jpg
In profile, it's a straight line from top to bottom, and you can cut the windshield in a straight line as long as you're not cutting across a curve in the windshield shape. For example...
Attachment:
GMCWindshield02.jpg
...you could cut along these two red lines just as if the whole windshield were flat, because it -is- flat where you're cutting it. Then you could throw away the middle piece and join the two remaining halves with a rubber split windshield joiner gasket (hey, I don't know what to call it) and some urethane windshield mounting goop, and you'd have a curved windshield of an appropriate width for a Locost.
Attachment:
SplitWind1.jpg
Here's a fuzzy photo of that RSWJG stuff in action, from my Lalo body topic. I had to buy 50 feet of it to get any of it, so if you decide to go the split windshield route, I have some gasket left over.

That makes more sense now but im looking for curved without the split...

PostPosted: April 8, 2013, 10:46 am 

JacktheRiffer wrote:
That makes more sense now but im looking for curved without the split...
Man, you and me both! I've been looking for years.
Lincoln wrote:
Are there any cars with curved windshields that are close to the width of a Locost? Maybe a Spitfire or other small car from that era?
Not even at your local Ferrari dealership. There's rumors of a special-purpose Lancia of Back In The Day that had an extremely narrow windshield but I've yet to see it. I've even tried the circus, but all domestic clown cars have to have flat windshields...some stupid OSHA rule I think.

PostPosted: April 8, 2013, 6:20 pm 

Im guessing a custom curved windshield would be hella expensive...

PostPosted: April 8, 2013, 6:49 pm 

a few years back, there was a bunch of lead sled mercs showing up at car shows with one piece windshields that were bent in the middle instead of two pieces of glass, don't know where they got them from.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: April 8, 2013, 7:14 pm 

One-piece V windshields for fords and Chevs used to be advertised quite frequently in Street Rodder. Don't now what the price was, because I had no need and the ads didn't say.

PostPosted: April 8, 2013, 10:59 pm 

If only plastic was a better solution...looks like most places charge about 2-3k for custom curved glass

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 11:30 pm 

After looking around i came across a company called polyshield? Anybody heard of them?

PostPosted: April 14, 2013, 1:09 am 

Anybody thought of a mini windshield?

PostPosted: July 17, 2014, 4:58 pm 

Lincoln wrote:

How curved and how wide? Here is a Sunbeam Alpine. Windshield is 46" wide and available for a reasonable cost at Victoria British.

Bill