LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonneau Cover question
PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 9:03 pm 

I would like to make a tonneau cover to cover up my fuel cell. Has anyone made thier own? Any suggestions on doing it???

PostPosted: May 12, 2014, 8:02 am 

Before you moving on the tonneau cover fabrication, make sure the sewing machine is capable of sewing the material. The wifee's high end machine would not go thru three layers. You probably need an industrial sewing machine. Dave W

PostPosted: May 13, 2014, 7:09 pm 

Or an old Singer from the 30's or 40's

Al

PostPosted: May 13, 2014, 9:00 pm 

My wife made a cordura (sunbrella is another trade name) road cover for my ice-boat - the same materials as you would use for a tonneau cover. She had problems too until she investigated and found that she needed to use a special needle. Once she changed needles she had no problems doing the heavy material with her ordinary sewing machine.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 12:33 am 

I had no trouble sewing up my cover on the household Singer, but I used a pretty thin cotton-backed vinyl with a little interfacing for support. Not the handsomest cover in the world but so far it's held up really well.
Attachment:
patterns.jpg

Attachment:
sewing.jpg

Attachment:
vinylcover.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 2:58 am 

raceral wrote:
Or an old Singer from the 30's or 40's

Al

Nice but I'd rather a Locost!

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 9:07 am 

You don't need to know how to sew. I made this out of some masonite, some scrap 1x lumber, and finished by glueing on some canvas. It is not a tonneau per se, but works for me just fine. It also provides for a locked compartment, if you ignore that it can be removed with a phillips screwdriver. You could always use "security screws" instead. When the masonite finally dies, I'll replace it with a similar design made from covered fiberglass. But after a few years, it doesn't seem to be showing any signs of dying soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 12:55 pm 

Mine is similar to Chucks, I had some 3/16 alum plate so I used that.
As far as security screws go I used nyloc nuts underneath, couple of turns then they just spin if you don't hold them with a wrench.

Al

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 3:19 pm 

Wanted a rigid cover with a tonneau look.

Started with a male mold cut from the pink insulation from Home Depot. Was told this stuff would stand up to epoxy resin. Plus it was very easy to work.

Attachment:
IMG_0358.JPG

Took a quart of resin and hardener and 7 layers of some light cloth that was donated. Free is good. If I had purchased the cloth my choice would have been heavier cloth with fewer layers. Still would have taken the quart of resin.

Attachment:
IMG_0362.JPG

Had an adapter made (neighbor has a lathe) for the flip gas filler. Really didn't like the JAZ filler.

Attachment:
IMG_0374.JPG

Then covered it with the same vinyl that I used on the dash. All cut-outs have door edge trim on them. Easier than folding the vinyl under on the curvy bits.

Attachment:
IMG_0412.JPG

First time doing fiberglass molding and gluing vinyl. Got a lot of advice from LocostUSA members. Pleased with the results of both.

There is an aluminum angle trim on the leading edge and the rear is held with cabinet door grab latches. Has been over 75 MPH and stayed put.

Last edited by benny_toe on May 14, 2014, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 3:34 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Wanted a rigid cover with a tonneau look.

Started with a male mold cut from the pink insulation from Home Depot. Was told this stuff would stand up to epoxy resin.

Attachment:
IMG_0358.JPG

Took a quart of resin and hardener and 7 layers of some light cloth that was donated. If I had purchased the cloth my choice would have been heavier cloth with fewer layers.

Attachment:
IMG_0362.JPG

Then covered it with the same vinyl that I used on the dash. All cut-outs have door edge trim on them.

Attachment:
IMG_0412.JPG

First time doing fiberglass molding and gluing vinyl. Got a lot of advice from LocostUSA members. Pleased with the results of both.

There is an aluminum angle trim on the leading edge and the rear is held with cabinet door grab latches. Has been over 75 MPH and stayed on.

I always really liked what you did with your cover, but couldn't figure an easy way to do it with my welded roll bar.

Al

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 3:38 pm 

Al,

Probably would be really difficult with the way your roll bar is. My roll hoops are ornamental only. If I turn it over, well it wouldn't be pretty.

PostPosted: May 15, 2014, 7:30 am 

If you go with a rigid tonneau cover design, I'd suggest that you add reinforcements ribs to the under side. I cut aluminum tubing in half and layed glass over the tubes on the back side of the lid. Just a few ribs make the panel strong enough to set on, or to carrier luggage on top of the tonneau. Dave W

PostPosted: May 15, 2014, 7:04 pm 

I picked up a photo of a hard tonneau on USA7s where the owner split the cover transversely so it could be used with the usual roll bar braces. The split allows the cover to clear the roll bar braces. I regret that I didn't note the link (apologies to the original poster)

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 12:28 am 

Thanks to all for your responses. I like the hard cover idea. I may look at doing one in 3 pieces. Maybe have the center hinged and lockable and the two ends stationary.

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 12:47 am 

smartin99 wrote:
I would like to make a tonneau cover to cover up my fuel cell. Has anyone made thier own? Any suggestions on doing it???

if you are looking for a removable cover, I would advise someone who makes boat covers. I saw a custom cover used on a mobile saw table made by a boat guy, tough and flexible, plus it was parked outside full time.