LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Body Designs
PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 11:54 am 

Unfortunately, the nice looking bodies on a sevenesque would prevent me from taking the easy way out of registration and insurance in my state. I like the idea in principle, but successful implementation is in the details.

2nd, this takes the Locost to a new level, beyond the low-cost premise.

But very nice work Phongshader-kreb.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 12:46 pm 
The voice of reason

The area of the side where the doors are looks awkward to me, it's mixing styles with the the front of the car which is curvier.

You could put this body on a Car9 and register it as a Jaguar, how close does it need to be?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 12:52 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Unfortunately, the nice looking bodies on a sevenesque would prevent me from taking the easy way out of registration and insurance in my state. I like the idea in principle, but successful implementation is in the details.

2nd, this takes the Locost to a new level, beyond the low-cost premise.

But very nice work Phongshader-kreb.

It was originally dimmensioned to a Stalker chassis, but the current idea is a +442 which is very close to a Stalker anyway. You could build your Locost, and after that big raise, buy the body to add on.

Aesthetics is a slippery slope that I'm hesitant to go down - at least until I have a beer or two in my system. The Jaguar is lovely indeed, but more "fluffy" than necessary. Maybe later....

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 2:39 pm 

The body I was referring to was a body designed and built by the builder. :roll:

Learning from my experience you would be foolish not to build the chassis first. And with due appreciation for phongshader's skills I have never seem a computer model that looks the same as a real, full scale, painted, in your driveway car of your dreams. Detroit spends a lot of time in clay for good reasons. This difficulty is the large advantage of the traditional full scale drawings to buck to panel shaping. That is if it isn't right it's easier to fix. Or at least that is what I told SWMBO when I told her I NEEDED a power hammer. :wink:

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 3:06 pm 

@ Phongshader
@kreb

I like your design, myslef. I saw CNC cut of the foam previously, but what software products are you using to develop the design on the computer, do the output for the CNC machines, etc.?

If you were to produce these bodies commercially, there might be another approach to consider. It limits the utility of a body somewhat, but taking into accounts the desire for inexpensive and simple bodywork as expressed in other posts here recently, using the older approach of the topsides being glass fiber and the bottom sides being sheet metal like the Lotus 19, that would make it simpler for most home builders. You'd just buy the glass fiber parts and do everything else yourself. The front a rear just rotate about a swivel, and the sides attach to the sheet metal. It's pretty simple.
Attachment:
Lotus 19 Bodywork.jpg

Cheers,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 6:11 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
You could put this body on a Car9 and register it as a Jaguar, how close does it need to be?
Depends on how hip your inspector is. If he's an Anglophile, you might be better off registering it as an Aston Martin, but if he's a Ford-and-Chevy guy, he won't know the difference.

PostPosted: February 9, 2016, 7:36 pm 

If I remember right, Steve Graber cobbled up a giant gantry router and drove it with hobby-grade hardware. It only needed to work once, and then he broke it down for parts.

That just gave him the foam plug, though. After that it's the usual bondo, sanding, and mold making...

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 11:45 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Aesthetics is a slippery slope that I'm hesitant to go down - at least until I have a beer or two in my system.

Hard to tell in pictures sometimes. The picture is actually an Astin Martin, thing is there is a period and group of cars that look enough like a Jaguar XK or D that I think you could register them as replicas of the Jag. If you changed the side vent you could probably convince a good number of people it was a Cobra replica especially if they aren't parked next to each other.

This body, and the Porsche 904 for more modern, seem like examples of styles that would make registering as a replica easier ( I think I've seen the phrase "Inspired by" instead of replica which might have to be more blue print accurate).

The big point I wanted to make though was about the footwell and I see re-reading above that it's high on your list too. SO I'd like to see you make it book chassis compatible, but I would do some design work to make Car9 more suitable with this styl of body or Jack's and providing the extra foot room. Basically non-tapered sides on the front.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 12:07 pm 

If one had a typical cramped-footwell locost and wanted to put a body on it, the metalwork necessary to get that extra four inches or so wouldn't be so hard - especially as it doesn't have to be beautiful if hidden within the bodywork.

But if one was to design a lightweight frame with a body in mind, you're exactly right. From the rear of the cockpit to the footwell might just as well be a rectangle.

The necessity to carefully duplicate the car that one is emulating varies from place to place. When I registered my Stalker I showed up with pictures of authentic sevens, and they didn't care to look - obviously it's old fashioned. next!

If I were to do a voluptuous body like the Aston, Jaguar or such, I'd move the cockpit in front of the wheels to make it wide. The cramped cockpit thing works with a minimalist ride like a 7, but a big, voluptuous car deserves a comfortable fit - preferably leather :D

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 1:16 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Hard to tell in pictures sometimes. The picture is actually an Astin Martin...
Oh gosh, Marcus is being polite. And here I was just plain snarky when I said you might be better off registering it as an Aston Martin.
horizenjob wrote:
...thing is there is a period and group of cars that look enough like a Jaguar XK or D that I think you could register them as replicas of the Jag.
Probably so. My MAX gets identified as any 20th Century two-seater you can think of. I'm amazed at the names people pull out of the air.
horizenjob wrote:
This body, and the Porsche 904 for more modern, seem like examples of styles that would make registering as a replica easier
And that's why I haven't made a body like the one in my avatar--it has a pre-EPA flavor and feel to it, but doesn't resemble any specific car, so it'd be registered as a 2016 something-or-another with all the 2016 equipment responsibilities. I heartily recommend making your car look like -something- from The Day rather than -anything- from The Day.

On the subject of footwell space, I agree with you all that it's worth doing a chassis redesign if you're going full body. The Se7en taper is a pain in the ...feet.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 1:29 pm 

Yes, move the seats out from between the rear wheels and build a decent foot box. That is what got me where I am. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8564#p87966
I love this whole exercise. Some parts more than others. That said my only regret is that someone doesn't make or sell the design for a simple easy to build chassis to build a body over. I am thinking of something front engined twin tubed like an early Ferrari. The problem is in arriving at something everybody could agree on.

PostPosted: February 12, 2016, 1:44 pm 

Well making bits for the Locost business is a good way to go broke. The reason there aren't a lot of options is that there aren't that many people like Jack who have modest financial needs and a passion for the business. I look at building the bodies as a way to have fun, make friends, and pay for my toys - not as a way to make a living.

PostPosted: February 13, 2016, 10:56 am 

Kreb
You have got to have the passion. It never ceases to amaze me how many people grow a business out of just wanting to do something. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 16, 2016, 3:55 pm 

vroom wrote:
And with due appreciation for phongshader's skills I have never seem a computer model that looks the same as a real, full scale, painted, in your driveway car of your dreams. Detroit spends a lot of time in clay for good reasons.

I'm painfully aware of this from watching others struggle with this. I have cut and am cutting several 1/4 scale models to look at the aesthetics before I commit to a full scale model. You can see the first iteration here: http://www.lightningbugcars.com/projectNevala.html I've gone through several iterations since this one and will be starting on the 2nd foam model this weekend.

PostPosted: February 16, 2016, 4:00 pm 

Broom how about the cobra frame? That's a fairly simple frame. Blueprints are out there as well as frames

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next