LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paint Shops Denver
PostPosted: December 17, 2014, 11:50 am 

Any one have a suggestion on where to get my chassis painted in denver? The difficult part is everyone wants me to take it apart and bring the chassis up to them for quote. Right now i am just looking to get pricing so that i can budget for it.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

Post subject: Re: Paint Shops Denver
PostPosted: December 17, 2014, 5:50 pm 

as a shop owner there are many reasons why if some one wants a price to why we want to see it 1st .
like we prep all our tubing for paint before we do any work at all with them .
the time it save in the long run to sand for paint all the tubing before it's cut bent and welded is hours and hours .
just the step in wiping the tubing down on a hole chassis for prep sanding it takes time and materials .
the type of finish and to what degree quality your looking for effects cost .
so when some one calls us and asks for a price over the phone we tell them what you have been told (we need to see it )

for the average chassis that a guy is going to really use his car for things like track day street driving .
there is a product called SEM rust-shield .
it's a DTM (direct to metal ) all in one product being undercoat and top coat all in one .
you can spray it right over bare aluminum and steel with no primer needed (undercoat) and it has good weather hold out (anti rust) .
the average chassis in my area with a product like this is about 1600 dollars to do .
I'm painting a TR6 chassis today for that price with this product .

then there are products like a automotive finish .
you would spray a E-primer (etch or epoxy ) down on the bare metal . then go over that with a sealer when the sealer flashes off you would go right to a top coat top coat base clear or single stage .
this is calls wet on wet .
some thing like this would be in the 2400 dollar area

then you have your high end finishes .
you 1st spray a E-primer let it flash off then a filler primer let the filler primer dry then sand it with 320 to 500 grit .
spray a sealer then spray your top coats .
this type of finish will cost you the most money because of the time the shop has it's hands on the job .
the finishes can range from single stage to quad colors .
a job like this would cost many thousands of dollars plus as they are more of a show paint job .

so just calling around for a price gives the shop nothing to go on .

PostPosted: December 17, 2014, 8:24 pm 

No i havent been just calling shops and asking for quotes, i have been driving to or emailing shops and providing detailed pics of the chassis. Since the chassis was blasted and primed, a shop down the street said about 20hrs or $800 for the gold i wanted and clear. I thought that sounded reasonable. Another shop said they would send some one over to quote on it too for $50, which isnt a bad option.

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: December 18, 2014, 10:00 am 

when I said the comment about just calling it was not about you it's a in general of what we get all to often for calls about pricing .

paying a shop to come out and look at the chassis is a very far thing to do and would be the best for the shop to really know what they would be getting into .

PostPosted: December 18, 2014, 1:21 pm 

962porsche wrote:
when I said the comment about just calling it was not about you it's a in general of what we get all to often for calls about pricing .

paying a shop to come out and look at the chassis is a very far thing to do and would be the best for the shop to really know what they would be getting into .

Yeah i didn't take it personally so no worries.