LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Composite body
PostPosted: December 18, 2014, 11:49 pm 

New guy needing to know if my composite body plan is doable.Does anyone have experience making fiberglass panels using 1/4" wire mesh as a form with both sides fiberglass?I'm in the parts collection stage of a build.I would like to use this method to make the panels.I want to either tack weld or screw the wire mesh to a wire body form then fiberglass both sides.I read a couple lines about this on a small home built airplane site.There was very limited info on the site.Can someone share their experience and/or sites on using the wire mesh method?

Post subject: Re: Composite body
PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 12:01 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I just happen to be working with 1/2" wire mesh making some forms for another project and that stuff is hell to get exact enough for a car body. It's OK for what I'm doing, but it's still hard to get into shape, keep it in shape and at the same time not get the ends stuck in your hands.

I honestly think you'd go to so much trouble trying to make something to keep it shaped well enough that you'd be better off with something else. Flatness is an issue.

Talk to JD over at Slotus World Headquarters. He did some impressively stiff stuff with some foam board and minimal fiberglass.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 1:38 pm 

Avery, you're probably on the right track with the homebuilt airplane guys, but you didn't mention which site you were on that had "very limited info". A lot of those guys have worked with this stuff for a very long time, but they mainly use the fiberglass-over-foam system! Take a look at the Rand-Robinson KR-1&2, or almost any of Burt Rutan's planes. Carguy123 is right about JD's efforts with the F-O-F system. Look there for info.

PostPosted: December 19, 2014, 5:16 pm 

See

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8113

for a good discussion on the composite over foam method.

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 7:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Avery-
The thread that Warren referred you to is the one I started with. Lots of good info in there. I've never done the wire mesh kind of thing you're talking about, but I think I did see something about it on an experimental aircraft forum. It sounded like more trouble to shape, but I didn't try it, so who knows...

The "foam" can be fancy stuff from Aircraft Spruce, or just insulation from Slowe's or Home Beepo. I used the latter. It's light, relatively cheap and really easy to shape. (Even for a big ol' goober like me...)
Attachment:
3 19 11 Nose and Green Splitter.jpg
Once you cover both sides (that's the key) it becomes really stiff.

If you'd like to talk about the foam core stuff I did, lemme know, I'll be happy to share info. In this thread, PM me, whatever...

If you decide to go ahead with the wire mesh, keep us updated on that as well. Sounds interesting!

:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 12:24 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Also the wire could be hard to get a good bonding without air voids.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.